How long...

Options
I have increased my exercise and am seeing the scale go up some. I have read that this can be from inflammation or the body healing itself, so it’s temporary weight gain. I get that and am ok with that. I am wondering if anyone knows or has experience to know about how long before my body might adjust and start to lose weight again?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    DOMS creates temporary weight gain (usually only a few days). How long have you been at your current deficit and not losing?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The longest I've seen anybody in these threads say was six weeks.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you stay in a deficit you won't stop losing fat weight you just won't be able to see it until it either surpasses the additional water retention or the water returns to "normal".
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Six weeks is my norm with new exercises or routines.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well for me when I started lifting weights from doing nothing, it took about 3 weeks for the weight to go down again. It probably depends what type of exercise and how strenuous it was?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    For me all three times during the last couple of years when I started a new strength training routine my weight got stuck for 6 weeks despite eating at my usual deficit. Very annoying.
    In all cases my weight dropped by a lot immediately after I stopped working out.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. How often are you weighing yourself or taking measurements?
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. How often are you weighing yourself or taking measurements?

I pretty much weigh daily. I know weight fluctuates and that weight loss isn’t linear. But sometimes knowing that in your head doesn’t translate to not feeling frustration at that number going up despite eating at a deficit and working out hard.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting, it took at least 4 weeks (might have been 6, I don't remember anymore, it's been a while). The only thing that kept me going was knowing that I was doing everything else right (logging accurate with a food scale for all solids and semi solids, and checking the accuracy of the database items I chose). I had to just trust the process. It was a relief to see the scale moving again though.