Bike pedals

Options
Bikers

What are your thoughts on clipless vs flat pedals? I currently have clipless but I have never really felt totally comfortable with them. Started using them for my sprint tri a few years ago but haven't ridden much since. Mostly I think because of the pedals. So now I want to do a dualthon and am wondering if I should suck it up and stick with the clipless or switch to flat. Any thoughts? Would there really be a performance hit with flat?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Once you've used clipless, going back to flat feels rather odd.

I actually do something I think might be unique among cyclists. I have dual-sided pedals where I can clip in on one side and use the flat side on the other. So I clip in with my left foot and ride on the flat part of my pedal with my right. But if I want to clip in on the right, I can do that too.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My 2 cents: Stick to the clipless and get in a bit of practice to regain your comfort level. If you go with flat pedals you are giving up any chance for thrust on each upstroke. With your feet clipped in, you can pull up as well as push down through the stroke. I find this particularly helpful when faced with a hilly course. With practice, you'll use your hamstrings to assist on the upstroke and your quads should not be as fatigued when you get to the 2nd run that follows the bike split. The other benefit is that if your pedals are set up correctly, your feet are in the best position to transfer power to the pedals efficently. With flat pedals, your feet are more likely to shift around a bit, decreasing efficiency.

Good luck in the duathlon!
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I need to find somewhere to ride where there is light traffic until I'm used to it. Maybe go out early...
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I need to find somewhere to ride where there is light traffic until I'm used to it. Maybe go out early...

Yep!

I've been riding for years and I still have about one fall / year. This year is was I couldn't get out while avoiding a car who decided stop-signs were so overrated....

They do make pedals that have clipless on one side and flat on the other.

I use SPD pedals on my road bike as I wear MB shoes due to my wide feet. I know I'm giving up some power. Just can't get comfortable in road shoes because they seem so narrow.

Also, my indoor cycling uses SPD pedals, so it makes my life a bit easier by having one pair of shoes...

Good luck and be safe out there.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

We had a new member of our training group start riding with us this season. On her first day, we found a big parking lot to ride in. Twenty minutes of starting and stopping the bike gave her a chance to get used to the clip/unclip motion a bunch of times. The other thing we did was have her practice unclipping early as she approached a stop sign, light, etc. This took away some of her uneasiness. After a half dozen rides, the clip in/out motion was automatic and a non issue.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The purpose of clipless pedals is to keep your feet attached so they don't come off on bumpy ground or while cornering. And also to protect your knees, if your cleats are positioned correctly. They're about safety, not performance.

I'll second the advice to get dual sided SPDs, with the multi release cleats. Practice clipping out before you stop. Lean against a fence with the bike stopped to practice getting in and out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been riding clipless for years...couldn't imagine riding with flat pedals. You just need to get in some practice and get your comfort level up.

When I was first getting comfortable with clipless I used SPD pedals and I could adjust the tension...I also had cleats that could clip out in multiple directions. I still have them on my CX bike, but wear road shoes on my road bike.
  • runnergirl089
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

We had a new member of our training group start riding with us this season. On her first day, we found a big parking lot to ride in. Twenty minutes of starting and stopping the bike gave her a chance to get used to the clip/unclip motion a bunch of times. The other thing we did was have her practice unclipping early as she approached a stop sign, light, etc. This took away some of her uneasiness. After a half dozen rides, the clip in/out motion was automatic and a non issue.

Parking lot is a good idea. I'll make sure to wear long pants for the occassional fall. And I will fall at least a few times. Not sure how I made it through the tri except that once I got going I was ok.
  • runnergirl089
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Once you've used clipless, going back to flat feels rather odd.

I actually do something I think might be unique among cyclists. I have dual-sided pedals where I can clip in on one side and use the flat side on the other. So I clip in with my left foot and ride on the flat part of my pedal with my right. But if I want to clip in on the right, I can do that too.

I will consider this too if I still have trouble. Seems like quite a few people on here agree with your approach. Thanks
  • karenvandam
    karenvandam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had to ask the bike shop to loosen the pedals so I could clip out more easily. They put me on a trainer in the store and had me clip in and out as they were making adjustments. I have the left foot set to come out pretty easy as that's the foot I use when I stop.

I still tip over about once a year as tbright1965 said. This year a rider on the bike trail decided to do a U-turn right in front of me. I stopped fast enough to avoid the collision, but I wasn't quick enough getting out of the pedals and ended up on my *kitten*. PS - that's also why I always wear a helmet even on a bike trail!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For my road bikes clipless (SPD-SL). Wouldn't dream of using flat pedals for performance and long distance riding. (Better power transfer, better pedalling efficiency, can engage your hamstrings to a small degree, better for my injured knees.) Would certainly prefer SPD-SL over SPD for long rides.

You can wind down the spring tension to ensure they release easily until you are more confident. I've only had a couple of topple overs - one on my first clipless ride (!) and one when I bonked really badly and was simply too confused to put my feet down when I stopped. Had quite a few near misses though.

For my fast road hybrid - double sided pedals with SPD one side and flat the other. Really handy for when I want to wear SPD shoes for indoor training or spinning at my gym.

For local bimbling about on my not so fast road hybrid - flat pedals.

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Cleats (clipless) all the way you'll get a significant performance advantage IMHO.

Like, riding on the drops down a fast hill, it's just something that takes a little bit, and it's not much, getting used to.

I'll be completely honest when I first switched to cleats I had a couple of moments of "Oh *kitten*" as I came to a stop and realised I was locked in. However, I never actually fell off :D

Now after 000s of Km I don't even think about them.

Get some practice in and you'll be grand.

Good luck with the dualthlon!!!
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    agree with others, turn the tension spring to the lowest.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm another clipless fan but if you're an average cyclist the amount of time you save in transition by riding in your running shoes and not having to change shoes may be the same or greater than the performance loss on the bike (and with a duathlon that's both T1 and T2). Ride with what you're most comfortable with.
  • runnergirl089
    Options
    I'm another clipless fan but if you're an average cyclist the amount of time you save in transition by riding in your running shoes and not having to change shoes may be the same or greater than the performance loss on the bike (and with a duathlon that's both T1 and T2). Ride with what you're most comfortable with.

That's a good point. I wouldn't have to change shoes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    In most cases, I'd suggest clipless all the way. But if that's what's preventing you from riding... then definitely ride flats.

Riding flats > not riding clipless
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I out clipless pedals on my Lemond spin bike.
    Not the same as "real" bike riding, of course, but much better traction and power transfer w/them than w/o.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Once I went clipless, I never want to go back. I hate moving my foot around on flat pedals trying to find the perfect spot. I started with SPD-SL on my road bike and SPD on my hybrid. I switched to SPD on both bikes....I like being able to clip in on either side of the pedal, and being able to walk in my SPD cleated shoes, as the cleats are recessed. I also agree with loosening the tension all the way until you're very comfortable unclipping. It WILL quickly become instinctual and you'll be unclipping without thinking about it.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just started clipless about a week ago. The most noticeable change is when climbing. It's so much easier with clipless pedals. Cannot go back to flats, I don't think!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Switch from clip to clipless back in 1986. Used Look (86), Time (88), Shimano SPD (97), and SPD-SL(16). Shimano SPD is the easiest to get in and out and SPD-SL tied with Time as the hardest to release, especially when tired. Practice and once you get the knack of getting in and out, it becomes second nature. I think it took me less than a few tries but I was using toe clips and cleats for a few years before making the switch. With toe clips, you learn very quick how to pivot (or twist) and pull the foot upwards to loosen the straps to get out in an emergency especially after the first couple of falls. That skill translated very nicely to clipless.