Anyone a member of OrangeTheory?

Options
My gym has been a major disappointment lately and it’s time to try something new. I’d love to hear from those who are members of OrangeTheory. One opened up down the street and before I go in to check it out, I’d love to hear what current/previous members have to say about it. I have about 45lbs to lose. Are the classes too difficult for someone on the heavier side? What do you like/dislike about it? How are the membership prices?

Replies

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am not a member but my cousin is and she likes it. I know that it's really pricey though.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The classes work very well for a wide range of health levels because you are only competing against your own heart rate and ability. I enjoy it a lot. It's more expensive then most gyms, but way less expensive than getting a personal trainer. My membership is running $159 a month for unlimited classes, you might save some money if they are still offering founder rates. Expect to buy a heart rate monitor, since they only accept their own. You will need to pre-book your classes and they will charge you for no-shows and late cancels (weird how I always make it to my workouts now).

The nice thing about the classes vs a standard gym class offerings: they vary up the routine each day (but all the studios are doing the same workout for the day, so if you travel or have to switch to a later class you're still good), they have a hard cap on class sizes (45 is the most my OTF will allow in a class, but most classes are around 20-25), they do benchmark classes (last week we did a 500 meter row benchmark) and track your stats so you can see your improvement over time, and do special events. This month my OTF is doing a breast cancer awareness event with a local hospital, do 9 workouts in 3 weeks, get a t-shirt. Last month we did a fundraiser class for a family hit by tragedy. In October we will have Hell Week and are putting together a team for a local 5k stadium stair run.

They are independently operated, so if you don't like the trainers and management at one location, try out another.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've never been because I don't like classes but I know a lot of people who have been members or currently are.

Pros
    offers a high frequency of classes
    high intensity workout
    decent price for classes

Cons
    only offers classes
    is not open for your own workouts
    limited variety of classes

Other (these may or may not be pros or cons depending)
    can be very social
    does not offer childcare
    loud atmosphere

Give it a try. Look on Groupon since they might have a new-join offer. Or, call the studio and see if they'll you try a class.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you try it, you can try it free before you sign up. Personally, I enjoy it, it complements my running well. (Running is what I love by I needed some strength and cross training to up my running game and I'm not very good at doing that on my own) you need to develop your own opinion however, I will say that it is great for any fitness level. There are always a range of levels or ways to push yourself.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    no harm in trying it.

I did, loved it, signed up. went more and more. Got some elbow issues (maybe bad form rowing?), worked on some mods, but it became hard so took a break. Went back, and found it all very "meh". I'm a dunce at form so the brief demo they give is not nearly enough and I struggled. The new trainers were not as good at this part.

and then the actual classes were very ...meh. sometimes you were hardly on treadmill. spending too much time on one muscle group (burning out that ONE area). So I quit.
  • abby2570
    abby2570 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a year and still really like it. There are options for all fitness levels. Give it a try! You will definitely notice gains in your abilities if you stick with it.
  • dlynne1024
    dlynne1024 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, give it a try. I just completed my 3rd session. I needed a more intense workout and seemed to be plateauing - not losing weight, not getting more fit. A friend recommended OTF. I, too, am not big on classes, but as someone else already said, you compete with yourself. Not all the skinnier, faster, more limber people around you 😊. The day after my first session, I felt better - my body moved more fluidly. Might be mind over matter, but I am liking how I feel post workout 🏋️‍♀️ 😊.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I joined in February and have lost about 45 pounds. I'm totally addicted. I used to hate classes, but this is SO different!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of group fitness. I tried OTF and I did not like it. I found it dark, really loud and I could'nt understand what the instructor was saying. The strength section was just watch the tv and do it... I like a more hands on instructor approach. I have a friend who loves it.
    Try it out, the first class is free.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Try the free classes before you commit.
    I tried it for a month....
    I found it to be pretty boring. Your basically doing treadmill, rowing and weights, with little variance. I need change to keep me interested so it wasn’t the right gym for me.
    If you do sign up you will need to buy their heart rate monitor. I spent like $100 for their wrist one that I used literally 4xs. Shoot If you join I will sell you mine for $50.

I have since found Kaia Fitness which love, small groups, one on one help, full body workout, different workout everyday.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    Options
    I like OTF. Not every workout floats my boat, but we have good coaches and friendly people at my location. And I would never independently do some of the exercises and weight work I do during the workouts. It's helped me with pacing my running better, too. OTF isn't for everybody, but it does have positive benefits for some of us who tend to let ourselves off the fitness hook.