Yoga for Beginner

Options
I am interested in starting yoga at home to lose wait and eventually to help boost my fertility. What are some routines that have worked for you? Are there sites that you would recommend to someone trying to achieve these goals?

Replies

• allyncurry
    allyncurry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beach body! Amazing! It’s for beginners and advanced. Try it. 👍🏻
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend taking yoga classes at a studio (not a gym), even if you can only go once a week. I have learned so much in just a few months thanks to the instructors. They actively monitor your form and give you corrections/adjustments throughout class so you can understand how poses are supposed to feel and proper alignment. They can also give you real time modifications for your particular strengths & weaknesses. I've heard from multiple people about how they did yoga for months or years at home with videos and when they got to an actual studio they realized they were doing something completely wrong all this time and now have to unlearn it.

I'm not saying "don't do videos", but as a beginner, get some real life instruction and use the videos as a supplement. The YouTube series Yoga with Adriene is highly recommended by a number of people on this site.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Like @FireOpalCO suggested, I would recommend taking at least a few classes at a studio first, if possible. The instructors help with form and guidance for breathing techniques is really important and will you tremendously at home. If you want to use it for weight loss, then look into the more active yoga flows. In general, I really like doyouyoga.com. They have a wide range of videos for people at different levels.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking classes at a yoga studio first. It takes a while to become aware of your body and correct your form. If you cannot find a class, then I recommend Tamal Dodge's Hatha & Flow Yoga for Beginners by Element. I found my dvd's on Amazon and they are a stable for my workouts. Tamal spends a great deal of time discussing proper form and also what various positions do for the body. It's a solid workout. Good luck to you!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Yoga with Adriene is really enjoyable. Weightloss is all about calories, though. I don't know how much yoga is going to help with that.
  • Aimee1413
    Aimee1413 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    pshaydill wrote: »
    I am interested in starting yoga at home to lose wait and eventually to help boost my fertility. What are some routines that have worked for you? Are there sites that you would recommend to someone trying to achieve these goals?
    pshaydill wrote: »

• Aimee1413
    Aimee1413 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just added warm and hot yoga to my workout regime and love it! I feel so amazing after I’ve watched sweat pour off me like a waterfall!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Beach body! I love their yoga
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Yogalosophy by Mandy Ingber is awesome!
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Jen Hilman has a lot of beginner yoga on youtube. Love all her videos and very basic. She's a great teacher.
  • AFarmerGirl
    AFarmerGirl Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I love yoga too! I started taking yoga classes with an instructor first, which I do recommend. It’s so easy to hurt yourself if you don’t know what you are doing... especially with the inverted poses. Power yoga is great for getting your cardio in and building strength which would be best for trying to lose weight. BUT... if a yoga class is not an option for you than you should try YouTube. I love Yoga by Candace or Yoga with Adrien. Different personalities and styles and I never get bored. <3