Protein: that's not meat!

Options
Hello, I've very recently started to track my diet, and eat within my macro's, with the goal of losing some body fat.

I'm not a massive meat lover and I'd be veggie if wasn't for chicken being my default crisis snack/ meal.
Could people share with me what they eat that is high protein and NOT meat.
Thanks in advance.
😀 Holly X

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and fish is high protein and not meat (depending on definition, but you're willing to eat chicken, so I suggest fish). But 1) you might not need as much protein as you think (how much do you think you need, and why?) and 2) many foods have protein and it all adds up, and you need many different nutrients every day not just protein, and 3) an unbalanced diet is hard to stick to and protein foods are generally expensive.
  • hollychadwick23
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that suggestions, more eggs it is!!
    I've worked out my protein with the macronutrients formula. I'm aiming for around 120g a day but if I have 40g a day I'm doing well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I've worked out my protein with the macronutrients formula. I'm aiming for around 120g a day but if I have 40g a day I'm doing well.
    What is "the macronutrients formula"? 120 grams sounds excessive, especially if you're struggling to reach 40 grams.
    What ARE you eating? And how much, how many calories in total? There is protein in grains, dairy, beans and pulses, nuts and seeds, even vegetables have some protein.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

120g is A LOT of protein. I'm eating 70-90g a day and that's high for my size. The usual formula is 1g per kg of weight, I'm currently 62kg so 62 grams would be fine so I'm on the higher side.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

120g is A LOT of protein. I'm eating 70-90g a day and that's high for my size. The usual formula is 1g per kg of weight, I'm currently 62kg so 62 grams would be fine so I'm on the higher side.

That's good to know as the whole protein intake thing confuses me. I'm just under 69kg so will adjust my macros. Thanks for clearing it up!
  • TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Almonds. High in (good)fat and protein. So are pea's oddly enough.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

some sites also say 1g per lean lb of body weight. so for me thats around 120g. which isnt a lot it all depends on many factors. and some calculators for my activity level,height and weight say anywhere from 145g and up. of course rarely do I get that much. I aim for a little over 100 but thats me so every site is going to have a different formula.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Is it really PER KG? I've read it several different ways here on MFP. Sometimes they say .8 to 1.0 g per pound of weight. Some say per pound of LEAN body weight. I think this is the first time I've seen it as 1 gram per KG of body weight. If this is true, I've been struggling to reach a goal that is way too high for me, as I weigh 49 KG (110 lbs) and have been trying for 90 grams of protein and rarely getting there.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's good to know as the whole protein intake thing confuses me. I'm just under 69kg so will adjust my macros. Thanks for clearing it up!

its not a lot of protein it depends on your height,weight and activity level .its going to vary person to person based on different criteria. the NIH says 0.36g per lb for a sedentary person. but while losing weight they say to eat more and the more active you are the more you will need
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

Is it really PER KG? I've read it several different ways here on MFP. Sometimes they say .8 to 1.0 g per pound of weight. Some say per pound of LEAN body weight. I think this is the first time I've seen it as 1 gram per KG of body weight. If this is true, I've been struggling to reach a goal that is way too high for me, as I weigh 49 KG (110 lbs) and have been trying for 90 grams of protein and rarely getting there.

National/international bodies like USDA and WHO tend to recommend around 1g per kg body weight, more or less. They're prescribing this for people without special nutritional needs who are trying to maintain adequate health.

Lots of people around here think (based on reading research) that it's better to get more protein when active, losing weight, aging, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. Based on that, and the fact that (within reason **) more protein won't hurt a healthy person, you'll see some people around here recommending 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, which is roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. (I'm one of those people). Occasionally, you'll see 1g or 1.2g per pound of body weight; often that comes from bodybuilding sites where I think they're assuming people aren't obese (**); or you'll see 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass; or various other values.

We don't need extra protein to maintain our fat mass. It's needed to maintain our lean mass. Therefore, it's theoretically reasonable to base protein needs on lean body mass. The trouble is, phrasing it that way leads to a lot of pointless dithering, because most people don't know how much body fat they currently have, and don't like doing arithmetic anyway. Using 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight is an approximation that's easier to calculate, and close enough (it assumes goal will be in the 20-something percent body fat range).

So, it gets confusing because the same numbers come up a lot (0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2), and they're used with different bases (current weight, goal weight, lean body mass) and weight measures (kg, lb). Sometimes people are saying a certain thing because they're confused. Most of the time, they're not confused, it's just that there's disagreement about the best amount of protein to get.

** "Within reason" means not so much that it drives out other necessary nutrition, like the necessary amount of essential fats, and plenty of varied/colorful fruits and veggies. If obese people, especially women, try to base protein on current body weight at 1g/pound, and end up shooting for 200+g protein on something like 1200 net calories, that just isn't going to work well arithmetically or nutritionally.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    [quote="AnnPT77;c-42624570"[/quote]

National/international bodies like USDA and WHO tend to recommend around 1g per kg body weight, more or less. They're prescribing this for people without special nutritional needs who are trying to maintain adequate health.

Lots of people around here think (based on reading research) that it's better to get more protein when active, losing weight, aging, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. Based on that, and the fact that (within reason **) more protein won't hurt a healthy person, you'll see some people around here recommending 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, which is roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. (I'm one of those people). Occasionally, you'll see 1g or 1.2g per pound of body weight; often that comes from bodybuilding sites where I think they're assuming people aren't obese (**); or you'll see 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass; or various other values.

We don't need extra protein to maintain our fat mass. It's needed to maintain our lean mass. Therefore, it's theoretically reasonable to base protein needs on lean body mass. [/quote]

Thank you, Ann!

• hmkiesel
    hmkiesel Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and my favorite forms of protein are tofu, beans, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chia and pumpkin seeds, and eggs. I also take whey protein powder on days that I do a long workout and typically I get 40-60 grams of protein per day. Quinoa and peas also are also good sources of protein. good luck!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, seitan, tofu
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I get my breakfast protein from steel cuts oats made with two percent milk, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. Low fat cottage cheese is my go-to for extra protein. It can be made either sweet or savory by what you add to it.
  • mcrickyb19831993
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, nuts, tuna fish, prawns, egg whites, seafood mussles, and turkey wich is similar to chicken., some bread buns have 6g per bun wich is a good amount if your having a sandwich.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've been adding skyr yogurt to my breakfasts/salads for an easy protein hit.

If you're struggling, just having a glass of milk at the end of the day does a really good job of helping