Newly diabetic, sick from metformin

Options
Hey everyone my name is Tonni, I am 26 years old and my family has a history of diabetes. In July I found out I was diabetic. Went to the Er for vomiting and having abdominal pain. Found out my BG was 296. After being released from the hospital they put me on metformin. At first they started me on one pill then increased me to three pills a day. I experienced so many side effects. I was nauseous all the time, lightheaded, flu like symptoms, chest pain and skin rash. My doctors stopped the metformin and started me on glipizide twice a day. Recently they started me back on metformin twice a day in addition to my glipizide. I don’t like that I am taking 4 pills a day and now experiencing nauseousness again. They say it will pass but not happy with feeling sick and talking 4 pills a day :/ anyone else experience problems with there meds?

Replies

• alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i am lucky i guess i haven't had a reaction to metformin. i am also taking invokana which is working really good at controlling my blood sugar. (the metformin alone wasn't enough) i take one invokana a day in the morning and a metformin twice a day. just the reality of having diabetes. i suppose it's better than having to take insulin. my mom is on metformin, glipizide and kazano and her sugar still is fairly high. how is your blood sugar on the metformin and glipizide? are you eating when you take the metformin? you know you are supposed to to take it with food right?
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My wife was taking 4 Metformin a day. She started a low carb diet approx 4 months ago and within a week stopped her Metformin altogether (she didn't ask her Doc so I can't advocate this but her morning blood sugars had come right down).
    She's not taken any Metformin since and just got her HbA1c results this week which have come down to borderline normal/Pre-diabetic levels.

• Weirdistonni
    Weirdistonni Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Originally my sugars were really high. Took 2 months to go down. Also I had to stop eating most carbs like bread, pasta and rice. Now I only eat fruit carbs and beans. My sugars stay under 140 during the day but I have a problem for my morning readings they are 160. I really don’t want to be on too many pills long term especially since I experience a lot of side effects.