in fear of going back to old ways :-/

Options
ive been on a 10 week course where u get weighed , talk about food , then finish with a 1 hr fitness class . next monday is the last one and im concerned that not having to go and get weighed might make me go off track , any advice on how to continue and not lapse would be appreciated many thanks

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Can you take a second one? If not, what about just continuing the same routine on your own? Sounds like you need the structure so maybe hire a trainer? I'm not expert, I think I would be fearful of quitting something that worked :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else in the group who is interested in an accountability partner?

Personally, I don't find external motivation to be all that helpful. Creating habits that you can live with, and just doing those things, whether you feel like it or not, will typically get you further along.
  • ApolloDj2018
    ApolloDj2018 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well on next week's last day im gonna see if any of them want to join a gym or something and all go together , so we'll see next week :-)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Was this a course you paid for? Or is it a one-time-only thing? Maybe finding another program similar, or as already mentioned, team up with others in the program and continue it together. Hard to give specifics without knowing more about the plan.

Either way, you've got to get rid of the fear. Don't doubt yourself. Make sure you've created good habits and change your mindset to determination to be successful instead of fear of going back to bad habits. This is an on-going learning process. There will be set backs and mistakes but learn from them and don't let them derail you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Changes like this, for me anyways, the trick is to not consider it a "temporary" thing. If I make a change, there's no end date. It's just how things are done now.

If some accountability helps, joining forces with someone or hiring a trainer at a gym may help give you the extra motivation to not just get lazy. Eating habits should be pretty well established after 10 weeks, so do NOT think of the program as "ending" - you just don't have a meeting to go to now. What you were doing and learned during that time should remain the same.
  • ApolloDj2018
    ApolloDj2018 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just you're comments make a difference and give me motivation to carry on regardless and I'll find a way to carry on I'm sure , thanks people 😍
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the support and structure are great. Bottom line, you've done the work the entire time - no one lost the weight for you.. you did that! You can do this, and keep doing it. Weigh yourself each week..that seems to work for you. There is nothing wrong with joining a group since you like that. But again, you are strong and you've got this!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Find a gym that does challenges. Crossfit gyms tends to offer more nutritional motivation. Even regular gyms like 24hr fitness also have challenges.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ymca may offer a "lose to win" program that provides structure and accountability.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy exercising with a group, almost any fitness facility has group 'classes'. Often if you find a class you like, over time you create 'gym buddy' relationships with others in the class and there are informal accountability mechanisms from those relationships. Many do have some kind of challenge activity as well.

True story: about 10 years ago I had to undergo unplanned minor surgery. Enough that I wouldn't be able to do vigorous exercise for two weeks. First call after immediate family and work? The gym. Because I knew my 'group' would start to wonder if I'd moved away or died. So,yeah, you can develop the kind of relationship with these strangers that can foster accountability.