How to break my plateau

Options
I need some advice. I have been using mfp for about 3 months and have only lost 10 pounds. I excercise 5 times a week for an hour. I sleep rest and eat back my exercise calories. I am devoted to logging my calories. What am I doing wrong? I am stuck at 213 and I am not giving up.

Replies

• Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation...don't give up. Stay focused on the goals you set for yourself. You are doing this for yourself and that is important to remember. I'll watch for replies from more informed people than me....:wink:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What's in your diary? I can't make any sort of assessment until that is opened. It may be an issue with what you are eating.
  • kevinsherrell
    Options
    Are you increasing the intensity of your workouts? You're body will adapt, yours might be extra "helpful" in adapting quicker. :) Try to push your workouts a little harder each time, maybe mix things up...
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    Try upping your calories. That's what I had to do to bust through my plateau.
  • skylinekt
    Options
    Look back at your food diaries during the weeks when you were losing. There may be something you are missing/forgot from previous weeks. And its nice to have meal planning success without even having to think about it!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Look up calorie zig zagging. Your metabolism may need a kick in the rear.

Watch your sodium levels and make sure you get your water. Both hinder my progress.
  • jnetercag
    jnetercag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks to all i will try a little of everything
  • landedmapleleaf
    Options
    I have found great success early on, but have hit a plateau as well. Here are some pieces of advice given to me before that I will pass on to you. First, if you exercise and gain calories to add, do not eat them all. Try to allow some of those calories to be part of the weight loss burn. Also, check when you are eating - set time limits for when to stop eeating each day (this is very difficult for me due to my job). You should also be careflu with water intake and ensuring proper rest for exercise. Failing to hydrate properly and not resting will allow fluids that collect in affected muscle groups to linger longer. Last, make sure the only exercies counted is high intensity exercise - try to stay away from cleaning, etc. These have all helped me. If there is a supplement you like that you can take in moderation, you can use those to help boost loss as well. I take a pill in the mornings that is directed to be taken 3x a day, but I take one pill in the morning only. Hope this helps.
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau in April or May and am now stuck again. I had to change things up I started exercising twice a day 3 or 4 times a week morning and night. It helped last time and I am trying it again. I can't eat back the calories I gained weight when I tried. I think the calories burned is high so I don't think when it says I burned 300 calories I actually do, so eating back the calories was just over eating. i guess if you are using a heart rate monitor for the calories burned it might be more accurate. But I know for the eliptical the calories burned here are always higher than the machine at the gym says and that is using the heart rate montior.
  • jnetercag
    jnetercag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is alot of great ideas. I am thinkning of not eating back my excercise calories 3 times a week and start from there
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What's in your diary? I can't make any sort of assessment until that is opened. It may be an issue with what you are eating.

I agree! If you let us see what you log, we can help much more accurately! I'm always happy to give some pointers, but we need a little more info ... Also, what are you doing when you go to the gym?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Without knowing any specifics, but in my experience, plateaus often occur because of one or several of the following:

1) Your activity level is not correct in your settings (sedentary, lightly active, etc.)
    2) You are not accurately weighing and measuring and logging everything (every bite, every french fry, every bit of this and that).
    3) You are not actually working out as hard as you think you are, and your exercise calories are too high (and you're eating them back)
    4) Your cheat meals/days are obliterating your deficit.

Double check the above and then, be patient. It takes time sometimes, to break a plateau. Keep telling yourself that you are not a miracle who can defy physics. If you eat at a deficit, you WILL lose weight. You have to. Eventually.