Eating before sleep

Want to get some opinions on this... I've been getting contradicting information regarding eating right before sleep:

1) As long as you're still within your calorie count, and it doesn't mess up your Macros, it's totally fine and could actually be beneficial to help sleep.
2) Never ever ever eat withing 2 hours before going to sleep.

Thoughts?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i eat before bed. so far so good
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    As long as it doesn't affect your sleep, it's fine. I eat every night before bed and have not had an issue losing or maintaining.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I have woken up during the night very hungry and I couldn't fall back asleep until I hate something. I added it to my next days breakfast meal.

Waking up and not being able to sleep until you hate something is scary! <3

Just get up and open a browser to either Fox News or MSNBC depending on which end of the political spectrum you are on.

Just lost my appetite. Bleh
    LOL
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Want to get some opinions on this... I've been getting contradicting information regarding eating right before sleep:

1) As long as you're still within your calorie count, and it doesn't mess up your Macros, it's totally fine and could actually be beneficial to help sleep.
    2) Never ever ever eat withing 2 hours before going to sleep.

Thoughts?
    #2 if you're a sleepwalker who also sleep-swims.

Otherwise #1.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people find that eating close to bedtime may disturb their sleep or lead to acid reflux, so in that case point number 2 may be good advice. But it has nothing to do with weight loss.

Agree with this 100% but would like to add that it isn't always the fact that you ate right before bedtime but that you ate certain foods at bedtime. I need to stay away from high acid foods like fruit or tomatoes before bedtime. Other things, no problem.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    400+ grams of carbs (and other macros) straight before bed every night usually around 10 or midnight. Meal timing is irrelevant to body composition
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I eat a protein bar and piece of fruit at 9pm everyday and go to sleep at 10 or 10:30 and have lost 35 lbs
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I subscribe to number one and it's held true for me. I love eating most of my calories at night anyway.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    edited September 2018
    Number two but for sleep quality not for weight loss. If my tummy’s rumbling I’m not gonna sleep well. It’s possible that digesting a bunch of food can interrupt your sleep. Even when my tummy isn’t rumbling, I’ll have a hard time staying asleep if I ate too close to bed.

If your sleep quality is bad you can have a harder time with hunger because your hunger hormones increase. You won’t build as much muscle, because sleep plays a big role in muscle growth. So for some it can have an indirect negative affect on weight loss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    For me it depends on if I'm feeling hungry. I can fall asleep when I'm having hunger pains, but it's not easy. Much better to grab a small bite and have a good night's sleep. I don't worry too much about calorie targets. Over a bit one day, under a bit the next. All evens out in the wash. No problems with weight loss.
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Meal timing has very little impact on your body composition. Sleep, however, can impact your health, mood, training, and body composition. In my mind, whatever helps you sleep better, go for it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    400+ grams of carbs (and other macros) straight before bed every night usually around 10 or midnight. Meal timing is irrelevant to body composition

I do the same... along with an active lifestyle.... fast asleep!