5k in October

Options
I am so excited. I am signing up for a 5k walk for breast cancer cure here in my city. I also found a very doable 8 week training program that I will begin this Monday. Hurray! I have not been very active lately so I am loving this additional motivation!

Replies

• mandysmear
    Options
    Good for you for taking that step! What are you doing for training? Indoor, or pounding the pavement?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5k in October too!!!!! I'm going to run on October 2nd. I started running less than a month ago. I never ran in High school. I did run for a very short period last year, but it didn't last because I didn't stay motivated and I was in a lot of pain. I never ran over 1.5 miles continuously.

However, this year, I have been working out continuously since February. My small goal is to workout for an entire year consistently. Now, I'm working on my running. Less than a month ago, I started out running slowly 3.7 mph and running for 20 minutes straight. Every run I'd run for a longer amount of time then I started increasing my speed. On the treadmill I'm up to running 4.1mph. Today was my first run outside. I ran 3.38 miles in 39 minutes. Not sure how I got to a 5k so soon, but I run at least 2 days a week. AND I drink a big protein shake right after my run (42g). I've had no pain! I think the protein has made a big difference... so far. Now I'm going to work on completing a 10k! woohoo!
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I will be training outdoors. Hal Higdons is the 5k plan for out of shape beginners. Its an 8 week walking program. I have been very fit in the past and am seriously looking at taking things slower this time around for a pain free longer lasting lifestyle change.

My favorite training I have ever done was 3 years ago the Ultimate walking challenge from Weight Watchers. The first day is something like 12 minutes of walking but by the end of the year you have worked up to a 1/2 marathon. My walking partner and I stuck to that training schedule religiously and walked the Shamrock 1/2 marathon in VA beach. It was tough but worth it. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!
  • msbeavert
    Options
    I have my first 5k on October 30th called the Trick or Trot! It will be nice to see everyone else's progress since we're all going to be training at the same time. :happy:
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mine is October 22nd Race for the Cure at our new local hospital. This time of year is such a beautiful time to train and get out for a good cause.