Anyone with a start weight of over 400 Pounds?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some buddies, advice, motivation and anything else from people who started at over 400 pounds. I started at 402 and now weight 304.8. I have 154.8 to go! If you have started at 400 or above, what have been your best successful moments and some of your worst moments. How did you overcome the worst. I thought it might be a good way to start a group for support in this long journey we are taking.

Some things I have had to over come along the way are:

1. Facing my family. Helping them realize that I am not going to give up and I am in this for the long haul. Changing their attitudes that "its not just one meal for me" or "its not a phase I plan to quit in two weeks." I don't plan on giving in.
2. Facing the dreaded "get off your lazy fat a**" comment without turning to food to comfort myself.
3. Going on vacation, getting way off track and then getting back on track without sabotaging all my efforts.
4. The gym. I faced a gym where elite athletes workout so that I could have the best personal trainers. I now feel mostly comfortable there, but do have moments of lack of confidence here and there. The community seems to have accepted that I'm not leaving and I'm a part of them.

What have you overcome or are looking forward to overcoming!!! How are you struggling? Basically where are you.

Right now I am at a stage where I want to add more weight lifting to my routine and start the stair master. Eating wise I want eat more veggies and drink more water.

Thank you for reading!!! I wish you much success!

Peace,
Amanda

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I came close to 400 pounds - my starting weight was 375 pounds. Logging all food / drinks / exercise on MFP for 170 days now. Great help and so much information from the members.
    Yesterday I was offered a slice of cake and for the first time ever I said:"No thank you, cake is bad for my body!" I knew that it sounded unfriendly, but those are the facts. (And that cake didn't look that grand anyway...)
  • tuck1jl
    tuck1jl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was 414 at my heaviest. Down to 327 right now and still working on it. Every day is a struggle but I know I can't give up:) Nice job on your weight loss!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    tuck1jl wrote: »
    I was 414 at my heaviest. Down to 327 right now and still working on it. Every day is a struggle but I know I can't give up:) Nice job on your weight loss!

You are awesome!!! Such great work!!!! It is very difficult and that is why I am looking for people to walk the journey with me!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    I would like to add the people who commented on here as friends, but how do I do that?
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    I came close to 400 pounds - my starting weight was 375 pounds. Logging all food / drinks / exercise on MFP for 170 days now. Great help and so much information from the members.
    Yesterday I was offered a slice of cake and for the first time ever I said:"No thank you, cake is bad for my body!" I knew that it sounded unfriendly, but those are the facts. (And that cake didn't look that grand anyway...)

Awesome job on the cake!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    Congrats on the changes you have made and on your successes!
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I started at 385. I maintain between 185 and 190 now. It's a long road but it's doable and so worth it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Close. I'm 5'7" and started a bit over 350lbs. I'm down to about 160lbs with my body fat in the "normal" range.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started at 367.8. I'm 193 today, and still chugging along. Add me, I need more friends!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Close. I'm 5'7" and started a bit over 350lbs. I'm down to about 160lbs with my body fat in the "normal" range.
    VUA21 wrote: »

Incredibly inspirational!!! Congrats!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    I started at 385. I maintain between 185 and 190 now. It's a long road but it's doable and so worth it.

I’m not sure which of you are the person who lost weight! You both look amazing!! Congrats!
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I started at over 500 lbs in March of 2015. My obstacle I would say was learning that I cannot eat everything that I want to eat. Once I set my mind to it, it did not bother me about what others were eating. I just knew and know that it was something that I had to do. My new obstacle is learning to deal with the after effects of the way my body looks after allowing myself to gain so much weight. I have to remind myself that I did decide to change my life andthat is a positive.

You got this!!! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • amyjsparkles
    amyjsparkles Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I started at 376. I've lost over 100 pounds so far. It can be very hard. The past several months I've been hitting the gym and I feel like everyone is just way smaller and way more fit than I am. I also worry because I see my stomach is big, but it's just that my boobs were bigger before and now I can see my stomach more!! :)

When I first began going to the gym, I could only be on the elliptical for 3 minutes at a time. Now I'm up to 10 minutes and my speed is much faster. I have alot more energy and I just feel like a different person in so many ways.

But mentally, sometimes I have a block. It's like I still feel the same, still feel very heavy on the inside. I have had to take many side by side shots of my body to look at to convince myself that I have really lost it, that my body really is changing. So, it's a mental transformation that I'm still working towards as well.

Anyone that wants to, feel free to add me! I always like having new friends so we can motivate and support each other!

Great job on your weight loss by the way! I know how hard it is! Amazing! :)
  • ballroomdancer150
    Options
    You are amazing!! You are working hard at making small changes that turned into a big weight loss!! I want you to know that sometimes I feel that way at my gym because it’s mainly elite athletes but I think they and I support each other. They see how hard I’m working and I see where I can be! I’m up to 60 minutes on the eliptical, 70 minutes walking outside, ballroom facing 80 minutes, stair master 15 minutes and all kinds of strength training. I started just being able to do 15 minutes on the eliptical.
  • JREmore
    JREmore Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have more of the football player build and like you I was over 400 at my largest I was at 450. Now I'm about 360 and still working towards my goal of 225. It's a hard journey but everyday I think about how I felt at 450 and how better I feel now and how great I would feel once I hit my goal and it keeps me motivated!