Any Emotional/Stress Eaters? How to cope when it's not just a "Craving"

Options
sparkes2flames2926
sparkes2flames2926 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2018 in Motivation and Support
I am opening this post for anyone who has tips and ideas on how to handle stress eating. It is more than just a craving, I see as also a slight addiction. This is a place for us to ask for advice and support.
I am a stress / emotional eater. And I know I am because when I get stressed out I eat even if I am full I have the urge to eat. Even if it hurts my stomach or makes me feel ill after... I eat and feel that weight lift off. Don't know really how to handle it when it comes to losing weight and getting better. Because I know it's not just like anyone else who just craves and just eats Because they want to.... idk if I am the only one really out there like this.. 😳😯☹

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I would go for walks.

As I lost weight and got into better shape, I go for runs. New 5k PR's generally mean I'm extremely stressed out.
  • trshfnly
    trshfnly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Super not alone. I have pretty much accepted that stress eating will always be an issue for me, but I struggle with it a lot less than I used to. Here are some things that helped me:

An honest-to-god therapist
    Getting at least eight hours of sleep
    Exercise
    Making sure I take breaks at work
    Meditation
    Cutting out unhealthy relationships
    Treating myself to things that help my body relax but aren't food (a fun exercise class, a body scrub, walking a dog from the shelter in the woods, a trip to the beach, a Lush bath bomb.)

Basically I had to learn to manage stress or eliminate it before I felt like I had any power over my eating. It's been a long process, but it does get better.
  • lartishs
    lartishs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem until I read The little book of big change by Amy Johnson. Its about emotional binge eating and urges.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had a good look what exactly I want to eat when stressed: It always was bread - bread, bread, and lots of eat. I would easily eat a loaf or two - a kg or 2. With the bread came all those goodies - from mayonnaise, cheese, meat to oily sardines, you name it. I realized that bread is my trigger point - now I am very careful with bread and automatically the portions of all the other stuff has gone to very small amounts. Generally I get my carbs from vegetables and a fruit or two a day now. After 170 days with MFP my macros have adjusted to approx. 30 % carbs and 35 % each of fat and protein. I am very happy with my daily meal plan and can see this to continue for years to come. Starting weight: 170 kg, 375 pounds. So far lost 22 kg, 48 pounds.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I thought I was mostly passed this but I’ve been home sick and doing this every day 😞 great tips! I found moving to be the best anxiety/emotional release and distraction, but being sick and not going anywhere my old habits came back.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,487 Member
    Options
    A friend says, if hunger isn’t the problem, food isn’t the solution.

May sound odd, but I can be an angry eater. I think it has to do with chewing. Sugarless gum helps.

Go for a walk. Get a stress ball.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want to eat, drink 16 oz of water. Then eat about 2 cups of veggies, then 2-4 oz protein, then finally 2-4 oz carbs Then start the cycle over.
  • walshcooks2018
    walshcooks2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nice to find a bunch of people sharing the same issue. I am an emotional eater, and have an all-or-nothing approach. When a craving hits, I have gone in a complete zombie-state and find myself chowing down on whatever the craving was for, then whatever else happens to be nearby. The only thing that works for me is focusing on the feeling, then distracting myself - a walk, a puzzle, reading, have a cup of tea, or write in my diary. There are times I do all those distractions and STILL cave for the craving and spend the next few hours berating myself. It's an awful loop and am determined to learn to break it.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m a stress/emotional eater as well. What’s helped me the most has been finding better ways to cope with stress. Going for a run, doing some yoga, journaling, drawing, listening to a favorite podcast while taking a hot bath, binging some Netflix with a glass of wine...basically there are a lot of ways to deal with stress and other negative emotions without eating you just have to figure out what works best for you!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I had to learn how to handle stress better, not freak out over the little things, and not take people's problems on as my own. The worst of the issues with stress eating went away because I straight up was stressed less. For the remainder, I find that some sort of self-care served to help the issue rather than distract me from it. Usually, for me, it involved skin care like a face mask, but it didn't even have to be "therapeutic", like plucking my eyebrows. xD I think it helps because I'm taking care of my body and realizing that this is how I feel better about myself, not eating things that my body doesn't need.