Sneakers

Options
chemteacher1987
chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
edited September 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
This weekend I ran my best 5K ever, finished in 43:10, shaved off two minutes from the last one I ran, which was over a year ago before I got pregnant.

My feet however look like I put them through a wood chipper... I bled, I have blisters, and overall just not looking great today... When do you retire sneakers and get a new pair? How many miles do you put on sneakers before it's time? I'm planning on new sneakers in the near future, but for thinking purposes, how many miles do you put on yours before you get new??

TIA

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I ditch shoes when they wear a hole through the sole. But I just wear plimsolls; there's not much to go wrong with them besides that.

>My feet however look like I put them through a wood chipper... I bled, I have blisters

This shouldn't be happening though, especially after only a 5K. They're not fitting somehow, or they're totally busted.
  • chemteacher1987
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think totally busted. They have been with me for a while. I just love them and I haven't wanted to part with them till now
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    Old story

Get fitted by a running shop.

(Your shoes might be too small. )

Wear very, very thin moisture wicking socks.

Use Body Glide for hot spots.
  • peppermintcaroline
    Options
    I ditch shoes when I stop feeling the shock absorption working. Usually the first place I start feeling my shoes no longer working is my ankles or hips. They will start feeling every stride. And aching. Usually I will wear out my work/walking shoes until they have holes, but with my running shoes my body is much pickier. It depends on how hard I'm training/running, but most good pairs last me no longer than 9 months, and most "cheap" pairs last 2 months.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Did you wear a different pair of socks than usual?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    also-
    Have you run in them recently (or have they been sitting since the last race). If it's been a long time, are you a different weight than a year ago (maybe they don't fit your feet now).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This weekend I ran my best 5K ever, finished in 43:10, shaved off two minutes from the last one I ran, which was over a year ago before I got pregnant.

My feet however look like I put them through a wood chipper... I bled, I have blisters, and overall just not looking great today... When do you retire sneakers and get a new pair? How many miles do you put on sneakers before it's time? I'm planning on new sneakers in the near future, but for thinking purposes, how many miles do you put on yours before you get new??

TIA

For road shoes, about 500 miles. For trail, anything up to 800.

The symptoms you describe sound like poor fit or suitability for the run, rather than age.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

TIA

One thing: a good pair of socks will go far in preventing blisters, even if your shoes are older. I usually wear light hiking socks. They are absorbent and wick sweat away from the feet and have some cushioning in strategic spots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife is a runner and she gets around 500 miles out of her Hokas. She doesn't wear them for anything else other than running. She uses her retired shoes for working in the garden, walking around running errands, etc.

Your feet really shouldn't be beat up like that after a 5K...it sounds like they didn't fit right and/or weren't proper running shoes.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I can usually get 300-500 miles out of mine and I track mileage on the app for my Garmin. I have two pairs--one that I wear for road and one I wear for trail. If you ran hard in less-than-optimal shoes and you have a lot of miles on them already, it could be time for new shoes. Can you get the same shoes?

I concur on good socks. Makes a world of difference.
  • nhoffman7788
    nhoffman7788 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your feet should not be beat up from running a 5k, but your injuries could be a number of things including: incorrect size, shoes not suited for running, socks, and laces done incorrectly. I share the same sentiment to go check out your local running store to be properly fitted. Do not order running shoes online!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    You should get fitted at a running store. My shoes usually last 300-400 miles. Make sure you are using shoes just for running. Don't wear them to work or to mow the grass etc. I track the distance on Garmin, but if my feet start randomly hurting then I know it is time for new shoes or new socks. Good moisture-wicking socks are also a necessity.
  • birdiephd
    birdiephd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine last around 300 miles but I am 200 pounds and put a lot of weight and pounding on my shoes when I run. I am a neutral runner so the spot on the ball of my feet wear before anything else. So, I think it depends on you as a runner.
  • chemteacher1987
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Did you wear a different pair of socks than usual?

Nope, same socks as usual
  • chemteacher1987
    Options
    Thank you! I'll definitely look into different socks and to be fitted. I appreciate the input :-)
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I get ~300 miles out of a pair of Hoka One One Bondi's. Running shoes have lifespans, replacing them is just part of the sport.
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with blisters before. The solution was buying the right size shoes. My running shoes ended up being a size bigger than my normal shoes. First I felt like a clown :) but running is great. No blisters, better stride, faster pace. I have been using the shoes for about 300 miles and it looks like the could be fine for another 200.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    300 miles does it for me too. I usually feel it in my hips and knees around that time.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Please, Please, Please get fitted by a running store for shoes. I can't suggest this highly enough. If you are running in improper shoes there is nothing anyone here can suggest that will help you.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes and seamless socks. I got fitted at an Asics store. They have a 60 day return policy if the shoes don't work for you.