Am I eating too little?

Options
So I’ve been dieting for 2 weeks and going to gym 5 days a week for a week now. In my first week I lost 1.5 kilos just dietin alone and since going to gym I’ve put on almost a kilo. I don’t understand, my diet hasn’t changed but I’m thinking will I need to up my calories because I’m being quite active? Or could the gain just be muscle mass? I’ve just never encountered the problem before because I’ve never got my self to the gym aha! I lost 15 kilos just diet alone 2 years ago.

Please ease my mind 🤪

Replies

• sameeya2121
    sameeya2121 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’ve read about water retention, but don’t understand the term properly
    If you don’t mind, could you explain it please?
  • chloeharrisxo
    chloeharrisxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How does it work? And is there any way I can stop it or get rid of it hahaa or does it go away by itself?

Thank you
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight 😄

I’m currently eating 1200 calories I want to lose another 14 kilos. I’m 172cm. I’ve just done 1200 calories because l lost so much with that 2 years ago so I thought it’d be a good place to start. But I’ve seen many many times people eating too little and it causes them not to lose weight at all.

Okay, well, if you’re exercising then yes, that is too little. At your height even if you weren’t exercising it would be too little. But eating too little won’t make you gain weight; it’ll cause you to lose muscle, lose hair, get brittle and cracked nails, develop dry skin and brittle bones and eventually damage your organs.

Losing weight faster is appealing to everyone, but there’s a reason MFP offers different weight-loss goals. A kilo per week simply isn’t appropriate for everyone, even if everyone would like to lose that fast. With 14 kilos to go, half per week would be a more reasonable rate, and when you’re especially active (such as on days you exercise) you need to log that and eat more to compensate. Maybe not all the exercise calories, but at least some. When you’ve gotten halfway to your goal, go down to a quarter kilo. It’ll take longer but you’ll be healthy when you get there, which is worth some patience.
  • chloeharrisxo
    chloeharrisxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not saying that at all. I never said they were starving. Sorry I wrote that wrong, I was supposed to say I’m in a support group and I’ve seen many people complain about not losing weight on a very low calorie diet while exercising. And people were saying that if they are eating too little it can cause it. They then upped heir calories to 1500 and they started to lose weight.
    I did not mean that people who starve themselves don’t lose weight 😐

When people eat too little their metabolisms do slow down—rather than blithely continuing to shed its fat at the same rate it has been, your body stops using so much of its energy to maintain the systems I mentioned above. But the slowing is only slowing, not stopping or reversing weight loss.

Another funny thing that happens when you under-eat on an extended basis is your brain starts playing tricks on you. Your ability to eyeball portions gets even worse than usual—what you truly believe is one portion is actually three. You legit forget things you’ve eaten. Your brain does everything in its power to get you to eat more...and it usually works. At the same time your brain talks you into moving less in every-day life. You might still work out, but you’ll be slower and less effective, burning fewer calories. More importantly, you’ll fidget less, park closer to the store entrance, and take the elevator more often. You’ll cut way back on your caloric expenditure in ways you probably won’t even notice, because your brain doesn’t want you to notice, because it’s trying to save your life.

People who think they’re dramatically under-eating but aren’t losing any weight long-term simply aren’t under-eating. They’re eating more than they realize and moving less. When they relax their efforts to starve, their brain calls off the sabotage and allows them to actually achieve the new smaller, more sensible deficit.

Thank you for that, I’m very new to it all haha so I just read things 😄 I will probably up my calories a wee bit and see how I go thank you!