No willpower...

Options
I am beginning a journey of losing 60 pounds...i have no willpower and need to learn self confidence....i am looking for supporters that understand

Replies

• peabodyprincess12
    Options
    I totally get it. Like I know I have to lose weight but I don’t have any motivation at all and it feels like the people around me won’t help
  • gina922
    gina922 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I need to lose 45 pounds but cannot seem to find the motivation to begin.
  • im4gryffindor
    im4gryffindor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Exactly....i know what I need to do and no pill or person is going to do it for me...im a grown woman who knows it comes from within myself...what is wrong here...where is my mojo?
  • gina922
    gina922 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I lost this same amount of weight 6 year ago but have gained it all back plus an extra 10 pounds. I know what I need to do but for some reason I cannot find the will to do it. So frustrating!
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    Me too...i lost 80 pounds 2 years ago and when I stopped working to care for my mother I gained it all back..plus some..my motivation is nonexistent and my willpower and confidence in myself is nowhere to be found...how can we correct this...i don't know where to start...hahaha
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    I completely agree with this....small steps and observations....counting the calories really makes a difference....i am happy to hear everyone's struggles and success....thank you so much
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    I will😊...thank you for your support🙏❤
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Exactly....i know what I need to do and no pill or person is going to do it for me...im a grown woman who knows it comes from within myself...what is wrong here...where is my mojo?

It can be overwhelming to look at the totality of what needs to be done, so don't do that. Take it one day at a time, one hour, or when needed, one minute at a time. You can do it right now. You will handle tomorrow and next week when you get there. You can do this!
  • nicholeunt
    nicholeunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I am a yoyo dieter too and I lost 30+ pounds a few years ago counting calories and working out but gained 20 of it back and couldn't find the motivation to get back on the wagon. Well a little over a month ago my fiancee and I decided to (finally) set a date which definitely gave me the motivation to kick it into high gear lol. Regardless, I wanted to make sure I kept my eye on the prize so I made a bet on a diet bet site and joined a weight loss challenge at my gym. I am super competitive and I don't like to waste or lose money so I'm hoping this helps me. Like I said my wedding is super motivating anyway but if you're competitive you might try something like that 😁
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support...it means alot to me🙏❤
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    All of these suggestions are wonderful....thank you so much....it really helps to have a support team 😊❤❤
  • im4gryffindor
    Options
    How do I add people?
  • nicholeunt
    nicholeunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Click on their name then click their picture which should bring up their profile. Under the picture is two options one to message and one to add friends (the two people) click the add friends one and send request
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. Like I know I have to lose weight but I don’t have any motivation at all and it feels like the people around me won’t help

So, if you won't do what you need to do yourself (motivated or not) why on Earth would you expect others to take on for you.

This is exactly the wrong way of thinking. You say you 'know' you have to lose weight. Why? Because you don't say you want to lose weight. You couch it in terms of necessity. To lose weight, you need three things- a reason, a plan and a commitment to your plan.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Motivation and willpower are fleeting things and not to be relied on to get you through. Weight loss doesn't need to be some hard, tortuous thing full of restriction, frustration and craving things you can have but have told yourself (or been told) you can't. Be realistic. You're not going to see instant big results and you shouldn't expect them.

Remember that loss is loss. If you lose an ounce in weight or a centimetre off your body, if your shoes or rings slip on and off easier, if your sleeves are looser, if you start feeling bones and seeing veins you couldn't before, celebrate it. Celebrate every small loss as a big win. Expect slow and steady loss, and don't fixate on the scales. Weight fluctuates daily, so don't stress if the scales show a gain, it's probably temporary water weight.

Don't stress or guilt yourself about eating foods labelled bad, junk or crap, or obsess about whatever moral panic the latest diet fad proponents are having about the latest 'bad' food. As other posters have said, no food is good or bad. Whatever you choose to eat, weigh it wherever possible, log it and enjoy it.

Remember the solid reasons why you want to lose weight. Write them down and stick them on the fridge if you have to. They will carry you through more than motivation and willpower can. Keep plugging away; if you go over your calories, log it and eat less calories next time.

Don't be embarrassed about logging when you've gone over calories, or eaten something that's been demonised as 'bad'. Your diary is for you, and you can use it privately to make different food decisions, or open it to ask for suggestions on changes you might want to make.

Be kind to yourself. As we all know, this is a journey and there will be highs and lows along the way. Celebrate the highs and don't dwell on the lows. They don't matter as long as you dust yourself off, get back on the path you've chosen, and keep moving forward.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    IMO, the biggest mistake people make is psyching themselves into the headspace that weight loss has to be an epic battle of denial, starvation, and exercising to the point of exhaustion. They overcomplicate the process, and end up in “paralysis by analysis”.

It’s not easy, but it’s simple - it all comes down to consuming less calories than you expend, by whatever means you choose to accomplish that. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you can’t get started until everything is perfect in your life, because everything will never be perfect. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Start logging your food, honestly and accurately (food scale!), eat foods you enjoy, and refine the process as you go. Don’t make ‘perfect’ the enemy of ‘good enough’.

The biggest factor in success is consistency over time. Choose a diet and exercise strategy that is enjoyable and sustainable for you. Extreme/ overly restrictive efforts almost inevitably result in a crash and burn as soon as that initial rush of excitement and motivation wears off. Don’t rely upon motivation and willpower - establish habits instead. Habits are just ‘things you do’, rather than ‘things you force yourself to do’.