Help with workout schedule

Options
I finally got a gym membership but I only want to start off with cardio for now.
At home I will do all of the weight related workouts.
Monday-Friday is when I would do everything I’m just unsure how many days a week I should go for cardio and how many days I should do weights.
Any help is great, thank you!!

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would do weight training on MWF and do some cardio on Tuesday and Thursday.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio everyday. You can lift every other day (2-3 days per week). Take rest days as needed. Moderation is key. You may want to choose a lifting program like Stronglifts or Strong Curves that best matches your goal. A proven program can help you progress and stay the course.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    You may want to phase this new program in gradually, too. If you're not exercising much now, jumping into 3 days of cardio and 2-3 days of weight training per week can be really fatiguing. I'd start more slowly, and work up to that. Start with a total of 2-3 days a week of working out, with a rest day in between. On the rest day, it's OK to do no workout at all, or maybe something very easily like stretching/yoga or an easy-pace walk.

If that feels good after a couple of weeks, add another day per week. Keep going like that, until you have a workout schedule that fits into your life, but leaves you with good overall life balance - enough time and energy for family, job, friends, chores, and other hobbies that may be vital to your happiness.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing the past 3 months? Are you already lifting at home and if so, how many times a week?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will depend on how hard you push (weights and cardio). If you're really pushing yourself on the weights, I'd do a fullbody program skipping two - three days between sessions and do the cardio on the other days.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For starters just set up s schedule that'll keep you consistently working out. You can increase the frequency of workouts as you build momentum. I would do weight training MWF and cardio also 3 times a week however you can fit that in according bro your schedule. Start from there then build up. And tbh you'll see a substantial amount of progress even working out 3 days a week.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Well it's really personal preference. My current schedule is... weights MWF and running T, TH and one of the weekend days. I am following a strength routine that is supposed to be done 3-4 times a week, I chose 3x a week because I didn't want to crowd out running. If I was willing to get my butt up early in the morning to workout I could do running and weights on the same days, but since that is not the case, I am pressed for time to get all these work-outs in.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I finally got a gym membership but I only want to start off with cardio for now.
    Monday-Friday is when I would do everything I’m just unsure how many days a week I should go for cardio and how many days I should do weights.

Hi Marissa!

Let me start off by congratulating you on getting the gym pass. Seems easy enough, but I know for many it can be very intimidating, and a difficult hurdle to cross.

Ok, on to the training: This really depends on what your goals are: However, that being said; Imho - Cardio should be done at least 5 days a week. Doesn't have to be for an hour or anything. 30 min is fine. In regards to the lifting; This really depends on what you're doing. Are you doing a full body, or upper/lower body split.

Get back to me and I'll help you come up with something,

cheers,
  • marissamacko
    marissamacko Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hi Marissa!

Let me start off by congratulating you on getting the gym pass. Seems easy enough, but I know for many it can be very intimidating, and a difficult hurdle to cross.

Ok, on to the training: This really depends on what your goals are: However, that being said; Imho - Cardio should be done at least 5 days a week. Doesn't have to be for an hour or anything. 30 min is fine. In regards to the lifting; This really depends on what you're doing. Are you doing a full body, or upper/lower body split.

cheers,

Thank you so much!
    I think for now I am going to focus on upper/lower body split. Eventually when I’m comfortable I’ll do full body.
  • 11Templars
    Options

Hi Marissa!

cheers,

Thank you so much!
    I think for now I am going to focus on upper/lower body split. Eventually when I’m comfortable I’ll do full body.

Upper/lower split is a great way to go. I myself use that quite a bit. Usually do that for 10 weeks, then switch it up and do a different routine for 10 wks, and so on...

Here's an example of my split when I do it. You certainly don't have to do it this way, I just wanted to show you an example.

Some folks do a upper body 2x a week, and a lower 1x.. ie. Monday Friday upper, Wednesday, lower.

Monday / Wed / Friday/ I mix up the exercises a bit each day, but similar to this

Bench Press, Dumbel Curls, rest 1 min x 4
    Incline Press, Hammer Curls, rest 1 min x4
    Lateral Pull, Tricep Rope extensions, rest 1 min x4
    Barbell rows, V-Bar push (tricep), rest 1 min x4
    Side Lateral raises (shoulders, rest 1 min x4
    Shoulder Press, rest 1 min, x 4

Tues / Thurs

Lunges, Swissball Crunches, rest 1min, x4
    Leg press, Leg raises, rest 1 min, x4
    Hamsting Curls, Planks, rest 1 min x4
    Calves, rest 1 x4

Good luck with all of this. If I can help in anyway let me know!
  • cgibson522
    cgibson522 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're taking classes at the gym, choose the ones that you are most interested in and build a routine around those. Consistently going to the gym is better than picking a number of days to do cardio and trying to stick to it. If you find something you enjoy, you'll actually do it. It's fine to do cardio several days in a row or weights several days in a row. Just find what you enjoy!
  • 11Templars
    Options
    cgibson522 wrote: »
    If you're taking classes at the gym, choose the ones that you are most interested in and build a routine around those. Consistently going to the gym is better than picking a number of days to do cardio and trying to stick to it. If you find something you enjoy, you'll actually do it. It's fine to do cardio several days in a row or weights several days in a row. Just find what you enjoy!

Wise words ^^
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    I didnt read through what others said, so if this has been said, disregard.

Suggestion:
    One week do MWF cardio TR lifting, then flip it the next week to MWF Lifting and TR Cardio. Then back the 3rd week and so on.

That being said if you do a long run Monday of Cardio week. Try not to do a Long Run that next Cardio week on Monday. Switch it up some, try not to have the same days been the same workouts.

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't like to stick to structured workouts because it gets boring. I like to train full body everyday 5 days a week and either run or bike twice a week. It really depends on what types of goals you have in mind. There isn't a one size fits all diet or workout so try as many as you can until you find one that fits for you. Best of luck!!
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You could try googling things like full body or upper/lower circuits...kinda the best of both weight and cardio worlds as you can find thousands of them both with or without weights(include that in the search). 3-4 days a week for like 25-45 minute sessions, great for conditioning and stuff.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Are you following any particular program? For starters doing weight lifting, you should look into programs such as stronglifts 5x5 which will give you great head start.

For cardio, I usually like to go do my weight lifting and then just walk on treadmill slowly till I am just exhausted. Stronglifts is done 3 days a week so the remaining days, I just walk. With programs like stronglifts however its completely ok to just skip the cardio (but you can still do it) so I would recommend you do cardio on your non-lifting days.

Hope this helps
    Stay crunchy