What's a realistic weight loss I should aim for this time?

Options
I'm 23 F; 5'4" HW:150; LW: 110, CW 148; GW = 115.

Last year I lost 30lbs in 3 months with restriction and a lot of exercise... Things happened and I regained the weight and more.

Trying to do it more sustainably this time. What's realistic for someone with my stats?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Last year I lost 30lbs in 3 months with restriction and a lot of exercise... Things happened and I regained the weight and more.

Trying to do it more sustainably this time. What's realistic for someone with my stats?

Typically with 30 lbs to lose, you should aim to lose around 1 lb per week. Once you get close to goal, especially since you are looking to get to the low end of the healthy weight range for your height, you'll want to slow down to more like 0.5lbs per week.

The key is, while you're losing, to really learn from your food log. What foods fill you up, where do you waste calories. If you can find a way of eating that will keep you happy and easily at the right calorie level, you'll be less likely to regain.

Read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum and good luck!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    When I started I had 62lbs to reach my healthy BMI (not my goal weight). Now I have 20lbs to reach it. I did set the settings to lose 1lbs a week. I don't always exercise/eat my goals, some days I go over while others I go under, therefore some weeks I have lost more and other weeks less, but I'm happy with my progress so far. Each to their own, but I think it's important to set realistic and achievable goals. I don't understand this 'I want to lose 30lbs by January' or whatever posts. The way I see it, it's not a race, it's a lifetime commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Slower is better. Fast weight loss puts you more at risk for lean muscle loss. This only makes the scale look good.

Your goal weight could be higher number if you are able to retain a good % of lean muscle mass. As you get closer to goal, think of loss in terms of inches not pounds. Lean muscle is firm & tight....you want to hang onto this.