Weekly fluctuations (cause is obvious)

It’s summer, people!

I eat, drink, and exercise a lot on the weekends. Monday morning I’m up by a few pounds. I eat less, avoid drinking, and still exercise during the week and it comes back off. Then Friday comes again...

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Yep!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yeah that is maintenance in a nutshell :smiley:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I've noticed that big day-long hikes raise my weight temporarily. (And there's always the big meal afterward.) Everything just gets a little swollen (including my belly) and I see a high number on the scale on Monday morning. So far, I've done pretty well in getting it back off (I've been in maintenance for more than two years), but it is a bit disconcerting to see my weight up by as much as 4lbs on a Monday morning!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Yup. Monday is always my highest weight of the week. Wednesday or Thursday usually is the lowest.

There's actually pretty interesting peer-reviewed lit on this phenomenon. It's very common.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Loss/Regain cycle: Yo-yo with a long string.

Maintenance: Yo-yo with a very short string.

wow... that might be the best description of maintenance ever......

I get the same issues. On my work days, I have to be up at 0430,3 days a week, so my weigh in is about then. On my non work days, I get up at 0645-0700. I always weigh more at 0430, sometimes by as much as 6 lbs a day! Crazy kitten stuff......
  • Elizabeth32413
    Elizabeth32413 Posts: 9 Member
    I’m right there w/u...I maintain my weight during the week with my job, eating healthy, and exercise but over the weekend I tend to gain. I only weigh on Wednesday and Friday. By then my weight is on target.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Loss/Regain cycle: Yo-yo with a long string.

Maintenance: Yo-yo with a very short string.

Interesting.... My yo-yo string is longer in maintenance. The water weight fluctuations are more evident since there's no fat loss to offset them.
  • LadyLeo813
    LadyLeo813 Posts: 11 Member
    It's funny: because of this effect, I choose Monday morning as my gold-standard weight day. This tells me how hard I need to work that week.

Ahahaha I do the same thing!

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Yo-yo is not a bad term when in maintenance. And with a short string, as mentioned above, of course! I'm heading into my fourth year. I find I gain 3-4 lbs any time I eat in a restaurant (salt), which is often lately. Last week I ate two days in a row at restaurants, and one was Chinese (MUCHO salt, always there). I drink a ton more water than usual for days afterwards when this happens, watch what I eat, and it takes a few days, but it always goes away. In the past year, I have been asking waiters to ask the chef to use no salt. Sometimes it's already in there, but I ask them to just not have him/her throw extra on the meal. Most places are really accommodating b/c I think they think there are cardiac issues. I never say this and it isn't that case, but they are usually really good about working with me.