Intermittent Fasting

Options
Any doing IF? I just finished my first week and 6lbs Down. I'm not sure if that's to much weight to lose in a week or not but I've been meeting all my macros.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The first week of eating less, typically leads to some reduction of water weight.
    Meal timing and calorie intake are separate issues.
    What do you mean by "meeting all my macros"?
    There are loads of IF threads started daily.
  • kellsey4955
    kellsey4955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started and I’m finding it very helpful in preventing me binging at night, previously having a set ‘dinner time’ at 5/6 was too early... IF gives me a new more flexible window that removes the restriction of a strict meal time.
  • Mercerld
    Mercerld Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF since January and love it, and no I don't think 6lbs is too much to lose. As previously stated, those first few weeks you will drop a good deal of water weight. I'm currently doing IIFYM along with IF and have been having great results!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    ldymejia wrote: »
    Any doing IF? I just finished my first week and 6lbs Down. I'm not sure if that's to much weight to lose in a week or not but I've been meeting all my macros.

6 pounds every week would be too much unless you are morbidly obese. Most of what you've lost so far is likely water weight. Beware of unrealistic expectations - it's not likely to continue - and for 99% of us it would unhealthy to continue at that rate.

If your macros result in a calorie deficit, then you'll lose fat. If you are strict with your macros, then you are still using CICO, whether you realize it or not.

• massivepocket
    massivepocket Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oops, I've just started an OMAD thread myself - sorry Mods for the spamming! 😆

OMAD really works for me as I find it way easier to count calories for one meal rather than try and spread things about over several. Plus it means I can relax if I'm out for a meal in the evening.

Lost my first 10lbs relatively quickly, then put quite a bit of it back on due to holidays and illness (not caused by the fasting, I should point out!), but I'm back into the habit now and it's taken me very little time to get back down to where I was. Just need to keep it up long-term if I'm to hit my goals!!
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is how so many of top notch athletes keep in tip top shape, with such low BF%. I couldn't keep up with it, need to give it another try. And good work loosing what you have, specially if you are hitting all your macros. :)
  • maltby1943
    maltby1943 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it off and on for years. Like any dietary discipline, it can get pretty hard to do at times. Stick with it though, because it's the best way to curb cravings and lose weight.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    ldymejia wrote: »

It's still actually the calorie deficit that caused the fat loss. The daily fasting window OR the weekly intermittent fasting are just tools to manage the calories like a budget. That's all it is.

Don't get caught up in the glitter, use the tools, remember that every day can be different and as long as the calories in the 24 hour period are a slight deficit, extend it out 7, 30, 60, 90 days for results. It's that simple and that hard.

Have fun!

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed IF quite a bit, but I've been slipping on my evening deadline. I do IF from noon to 8 p.m., but having kids and getting them to bed so late sometimes results in my eating dinner late or having some kind of "dessert."

Anyway, it's been a great tool for someone with zero will-power, someone who generally has no problem standing in front of the fridge or pantry and gorging on peanut butter and chocolate chips.

I also lost a ton of weight at first (probably water weight), but it's tapered off and I'm starting to truly have to work for it again.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    maltby1943 wrote: »
    I've been doing it off and on for years. Like any dietary discipline, it can get pretty hard to do at times. Stick with it though, because it's the best way to curb cravings and lose weight.

For some people.