Help me find some recipe ideas

Options
no1racefan1
no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
DH and I both have food sensitivities; his were diagnosed a couple of years ago and mine were diagnosed less than a year ago. It's a struggle trying to find meals we can prepare together that we both can eat. I thought it might be fun to get some other ideas!

DH can't eat:
-Onions
-Tomatoes
-Potatoes
-Almonds
-Green beans
-Oats
-Peas
-Rice
-Melons
-Barley
-Peanuts-he can eat sparingly
-Wheat-he can eat sparingly

I can't eat:
-Eggs-can eat sparingly if they are baked in cakes, etc.
-Dairy products
-Soy products
-Wheat-I can eat sparingly
-I don't like fish or seafood of any kind. I don't like beans much but will occasionally eat them if I can hide them in a soup or something.

Things that are in our current rotation are: tacos, burgers (no buns), chicken breasts prepared various ways, spinach salad w/ various toppings. Actually our food rotation is quite boring...

Replies

• loribeth116
    loribeth116 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about a burrito or budah bowl using quinoa instead of rice?. You can season quinoa a million different ways (even sweet!).
    I do bowls often and I'm a vegetarian and gluten intolwrant. Here's an idea of a bowl:
    Quinoa with lime and cilantro
    Roasted sweet potato
    Black bean, garbanzo beans or pinto beans
    Corn
    Salsa Verde (no tomatoes)
    Any meat

I also like to use roasted cauliflower or butternut squash in bowls.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Beef lok lak. Skip the tomato and onion in the salad and substitute with cucumber or other crunchy vegetable.
    https://refugeekitchen.com/2014/04/04/khmer-lok-lak/

Other asian stir fries with cauliflower "rice". That's cauliflower blitzed to a grainy texture in the food processor.

Other carbs could be green lentils boiled al dente and tossed in vinaigrette or fried with diced bacon, sweet potato, quinoa, squash, sweetcorn.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Enter the foods you can eat into myfridgefood.com it will give you recipes.
  • Frieswithdatshake
    Frieswithdatshake Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    This may be an odd question but are you on a low FODMAP diet? This looks quite similar to what my list was when I was in the elimination phase.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Puree of chickpeas or boiled cauliflower (or a combination) might be a good substitute for mash to have with roast meat.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    DH and I both have food sensitivities; his were diagnosed a couple of years ago and mine were diagnosed less than a year ago. It's a struggle trying to find meals we can prepare together that we both can eat. I thought it might be fun to get some other ideas!

DH can't eat:
    -Onions
    -Tomatoes
    -Potatoes
    -Almonds
    -Green beans
    -Oats
    -Peas
    -Rice
    -Melons
    -Barley
    -Peanuts-he can eat sparingly
    -Wheat-he can eat sparingly

I can't eat:
    -Eggs-can eat sparingly if they are baked in cakes, etc.
    -Dairy products
    -Soy products
    -Wheat-I can eat sparingly
    -I don't like fish or seafood of any kind. I don't like beans much but will occasionally eat them if I can hide them in a soup or something.

Things that are in our current rotation are: tacos, burgers (no buns), chicken breasts prepared various ways, spinach salad w/ various toppings. Actually our food rotation is quite boring...

A food sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean you can't eat it- just that you have to watch how much you eat unless you're allergic to the point where its dangerous. But it seems like you should focus on what you can have:

TO REPLACE ONIONS:
    scallions
    garlic
    TO REPLACE TOMATOES:
    If for pastes and spaghetti sauces, try red bell peppers. Cook them well, and puree them.
    TO REPLACE POTATOES:
    try turnips, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes.
    TO REPLACE ALMONDS:
    try just peanuts or cashews, they're stronger and higher in fat, but it won't kill you.
    TO REPLACE GREEN BEANS:
    depending on what you're cooking, try cutting up the stems of broccoli and cooking those.
    TO REPLACE OATS:
    again depends on what your cooking but if you need something like rolled oats, try quinoa flakes
    TO REPLACE PEAS:
    try cooking some chickpeas or lentils
    TO REPLACE RICE:
    grate some cauliflower or replace with any suitable grain alternative
    TO REPLACE MELONS:
    I would just slip in some pineapple, kids like it.
    TO REPLACE BARLEY:
    any suitable whole grain
    PEANUTS:
    if can be eaten sparingly, do so, otherwise use cashews
    WHEAT:
    try flour from any grain other than wheat.
    BOBS RED MILL has a variety to choose from.

FOR YOU
    EGGS: try using BOBS RED MILL EGG REPLACER or flax seed, and there's lots of youtube recipes for this.
    DAIRY AND SOY PRODUCTS (if you could list which ones? Or is it all?)
    Eating seafood if you don't like it is easily handled by masking it. Make fish cakes with OLD BAY seasoning because its strong and pretty much masks anything.

Hope this helped!
  • cheshiremask
    cheshiremask Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When DH and I were trying AIP we loved this recipe. We still make it even though we are no longer AIP. Just leave out the onion.
    https://gutsybynature.com/2017/01/26/cottage-pie-aip-paleo/