Suggestions

Options
Does anyone have any suggested exercises that won't affect my bad knee?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Swimming.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I second swimming! Its a great workout and low-impact!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Perhaps swimming if you don't do the breaststroke kick and even then that's not 100%. In reality none of us can really tell you anything with much accuracy because we don't know your history, your diagnosis, haven't seen any imaging, aren't your doctor(s)/physical therapist, etc.

My not so great knees (four pretty major knee surgeries and massive amounts of physical therapy) can do things now that they could not tolerate this time last year. When they were at their worst pre any surgery, most low-impact cardio related exercise were off the table unless I wanted to be in pain for three plus days after the fact. Lower body strength training would have been a disaster as well.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cycling also.My husband have both bad knees.It gotten better with regular cycling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You need to be far more specific than "bad knee"!!!

With my extensive selection of knee injuries (bone, multiple ligaments, cartilage) I can cycle (lots and lots!) but not run more than a few hundred yards, I can swim but should avoid breast stroke kick....
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I second cycling. I was a long time runner until my knee started to hurt so I started Spin classes. Make sure you have a good bike set up for good body alignment.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year with "multiple full thickness chondral defects" in both knees. Basically I have big holes in my cartilage. :o The Orthopedic surgeon told me to stick with walking (no running), swimming and biking to protect the cartilage I have left. I swim about a mile a day now (freestyle only) and have not had any major flare ups.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    It matters what your diagnosis is. Get one. Exercising without one can burn bridges, depending on the underlying problem. Get a physical therapy referral, and ask them what exercises will help you. Good physical therapists are an amazing help.

I have a torn meniscus, some osteoarthritis, and a bit of debris in the joint from those. I've found that I can do things that involve straight-line hinging of the knee, and will still keep discomfort to a manageable level, especially if I ice it after workouts. Therefore, I row (on water when possible, machine if I must) and cycle (spin mostly, road some).

I can swim, but don't enjoy it, so I do the minimum I need to keep my rowing safe. I can do things that are pure upper body, of course, but now only kayak/canoe occasionally. When weight training, I choose specific exercises based partly on discomfort/pain perceptions.

I have problems with too much impact, so no running; and need to avoid things that torque the knee (so avoid Zumba/other aerobics, start-stop games (think tennis, basketball, etc.)).

In my case, my orthopedist assured me I was burning no bridges by doing anything I could tolerate, but said I'd be looking at surgery eventually, possibly knee replacement. Weight loss has helped reduce discomfort/pain by a lot, so if you're still on that path, you may find improvement.

Get diagnosed, get physical therapy. :)
  • dnhenriquez
    dnhenriquez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus and it is very uncomfortable and I am not able to squat or run on the tread mill. I also have lower back pain which is very uncomfortable when I stand or sit to long. It actually doesn't hurt when I walk. The last ailment is my right great tow had to have a metal ball but into the joint because arthritis was so bad that I could not bend it. It bends now but is still painful in the damp or cold weather.
  • dnhenriquez
    dnhenriquez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I walked a 5K today and my toe actually hurt the most and then my knee was aching but I still finished the race.