Weight Creeping Back

Hi my friends,

Well, after getting to goal weight 130 back in 2014, I’m back up 5-7 pounds.

Here’s my challenge: I am caregiving across 4 households and not focusing on my food intake the way I need to. Thinking of taking my food with me in one of those insulated lunch bags and looking for ideas from you guys.

Trying to be a bit more higher protein and lower on carbs. Allergic to shellfish and break out in rash from yogurt but no other food restrictions.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks!

Jean

Replies

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Try Tuna Creations. I was leery of them, but my Nutrition Action Newsletter gives them high marks, as do others on here. You have to get used to the taste ... they are more "fishy" than canned tuna because of the packaging, but really good and lots of flavors to choose from. You don't need to refrigerate them, they are low cal, and they are pretty good. Throw in some raw veggies and a whole grain slice of bread or put them in a 100% whole wheat sandwich thin and you have a meal that's filling and doesn't need refrigeration.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Good job to recognize that you need to tweak some things. I would figure out a few things that are easy to take with you, especially fresh veggies and fruit. These will make great healthy calorie friendly snacks. Look for easily transportable protein, like tuna, hard boiled eggs, and precooked rotisserie chicken.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Jerky! That and olives are my go to snacks/meals when out and about.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Hi my friends,

Well, after getting to goal weight 130 back in 2014, I’m back up 5-7 pounds.

Here’s my challenge: I am caregiving across 4 households and not focusing on my food intake the way I need to. Thinking of taking my food with me in one of those insulated lunch bags and looking for ideas from you guys.

Trying to be a bit more higher protein and lower on carbs. Allergic to shellfish and break out in rash from yogurt but no other food restrictions.

Looking forward to your ideas!

Thanks!

Jean

I hope the best for you Ms. Cricket...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually take a salad(kale lately) but I also like broccoli and power slaw. Grape tomatoes and pickled/jarred peppers. Deli meat or leftovers meat from dinner. If not salad, then some cooked veggies swith a protein. Proteins: hard boiled egg, chicken breast or thigh, pork chop, taco meat, beans, tuna or salmon. I don't usually have bread, pasta or potatoes at lunch because it tends to make me feel tired.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    i take frozen leftovers
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    That amount of weight gain in 4 years is still amazing to me, so congratulations on that!
    For me I’m all about really quick and simply lunches:
    - salads (I like apple and chicken salads)
    - Sandwiches
    - Soups
    - Chilli
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    After 4 years, I think you are awesome for only gaining back a few pounds. You lost before, you can do it again. I, too, think it is great that you recognize what needs to be done. Now, do it! :)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Can you meal prep on a weekend maybe or when you have a bit of extra time? Then all you do is stick it in your lunch box, the insulated kind, and that's it. I take egg, some cheese and various raw veggies with me every day for lunch (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, sliced cabbage, green beans, anything really ), plus some fruit, like a sliced apple, or peach, or pear. Sometimes i bring cottage cheese or yogurt, but you obviously can't have that. Also, cold cuts, tuna salad that you can make ahead and preportion. You can use bread or sandwich wrap or even lettuce leafs and use plastic wrap to seal it. Leftovers from dinner can make a great lunch too, especially if you couldn't meal prep ahead of time. If your days are long, pack a couple of snacks too
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    The key is purchasing a good insulated bag or small cooler that you can take in the car with you. Get an array of plastic containers where you can meal prep in advance and take your food with you. Grab and go! Five to 7 pounds will be no big deal for you to get off..just by taking your food with you.
    I saw a photo today of someone who prepped five days worth of meals each in its own container with sections.. I wonder if those are on amazon?... right now I have glad plastic containers..but it would be cool at have all my days snacks and meals in one container.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I did the same thing after six years I think. Last May my doctor put my on the Whole30 diet for reasons other thn weight loss. I did it with my husband. He and I both - him without logging - lost 6 pounds in a month. I dropped 5 without changing calories.

The primary change was not calories, it was macros. My protein went up to 30% without trying. I realized it was much like my initial MFP diet when I dropped milk, cheese, and bread to easily hit my calorie goals.

Whole 30 drops alcohol, grains, sweeteners, legumes and dairy for a month. We felt so much better we've been on it since May - just added back alcohol and recently rice.

Since May I've dropped all the weight I had edged up on and am looking forward to getting down to my lowest weight. But the food was good, my calories didn't change, and it was easy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Given that you've been in maintenance 4 years its great you've only put on that much, a few tweaks here and there will sort that.
    I'm all for prepping meals ahead of time, lunches especially - a good sealed container is great for salads/sandwich fillings.
    Today for example its a chicken salad bowl, other days could be egg salad which I would have in a sandwich or tuna salad with pasta/noodles/rice.