Keto and IF?

Hey! I have type 2 diabetes and I am starting the Keto method of eating along with intermittent fasting (with my provider's blessing). I would love to share ideas with those who are doing the same things! I am female, 55, and hoping to lower my A1C as well as lose some weight.

Replies

• jzynanja
    jzynanja Posts: 25 Member
    Hi there - I'm doing the same thing but I struggle with it. Maybe we can encourage one another! I'm not diabetic yet but on my way if I don't take steps to improve my health immediately - which for me is the same - get my A1C under control and lose some weight. Specifically I should lose at least 50 pounds - I was down 37, then gained back 20! So I'm back at it again and need to wrap my head around that this is how I need to live, period. I'm going to the doctor today so I'll also ask for her blessing and I'm having my numbers checked as well. All the best to you!
  • meenagha
    meenagha Posts: 7 Member
    Hi! It's great to meet you. My name is Angie. I am also hoping to lose around 50 pounds. I'm not hoping to wear a bikini or anything - just get off meds. I also take meds for high blood pressure. I got my diagnosis over a year ago but I just haven't accepted the idea that I have to make permanent changes - just like you. So I've done some research and it seems like Keto and IF are very helpful with diabetes. I just don't know if I have the self-control! Let me know if you have helpful tips.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Welcome. :)

There are a few MFP groups that you might be interested in: the Low Carber Daily, Keto and IF groups. None are specifically both but many members in those groups tend towards both. I did too - after a few months Keto I found I rarely ate before noon. My BG and weight are both quite good too. I'm another who won't be in bikinis but slim fitting clothes show shape and not rolls now. ;)
  • meenagha
    Thanks nvmomketo. I'll check it out!
  • Denise6682
    Denise6682 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m looking for friends. Doing keto and if. Add me
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Hey.
    I'm completing week 5 of keto, and week 1 of incorporating IF.
    I'd love some like- minded friends
  • nigelpoulsen
    nigelpoulsen Posts: 5 Member
    Hi I’m Nigel from New Zealand I’m start my IF tomorrow I’m really looking forward to it.
  • meenagha
    Hi Nigel - How are you going to do your IF?
  • meenagha
    Hi ShaeDetermination! I hope I make it to 5 weeks lol. I'm starting week 2 and feeling temptations big-time. I'd love any tips you can offer.
  • meenagha
    Denise6682 - How long have you been doing keto and IF? What kind of results are you seeing?
  • meenagha
    Denise6682 I am just in my second week but I have already lost several pounds. Of course, it is mostly water, but there is definitely some fat loss. Also, my sugars are dropping - which is what makes me especially happy. I am struggling with IF. I am still doing it but I really want to eat something in the morning. How about you?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't know if you'll find this helpful - most people who struggle don't - but the general advice in here is to not pick a strategy that hinges on self-control, but also accept that you have to make permanent changes, which means building better habits.

If you eat less (and move more), consistently, for real, and for a long time, you will lose weight, no matter how you do it, and weightloss will in itself improve both blood sugar and blood pressure.
  • meenagha wrote: »
    Denise6682 I am just in my second week but I have already lost several pounds. Of course, it is mostly water, but there is definitely some fat loss. Also, my sugars are dropping - which is what makes me especially happy. I am struggling with IF. I am still doing it but I really want to eat something in the morning. How about you?

fasting isnt for everyone and it really doesnt make a difference with anything. if the time tqable helps you to stick to a deficit thats fine but for some its not sustainable. weight loss on IF isnt any faster than when you dont fast(trust me Im a faster and have been for many decades) I have even gained weight fasting by eating more than my body burned. I have done keto and the same thing. I didnt lose weight/fat any faster doing keto as opposed to non keto. if your glucose levels are dropping it could be due to the keto /weight loss. if you are hungry in the am then eat. fasting is just a window of time in which to eat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    meenagha wrote: »

fasting isnt for everyone and it really doesnt make a difference with anything. if the time tqable helps you to stick to a deficit thats fine but for some its not sustainable. weight loss on IF isnt any faster than when you dont fast(trust me Im a faster and have been for many decades) I have even gained weight fasting by eating more than my body burned. I have done keto and the same thing. I didnt lose weight/fat any faster doing keto as opposed to non keto. if your glucose levels are dropping it could be due to the keto /weight loss. if you are hungry in the am then eat. fasting is just a window of time in which to eat.

IF has been shown to improve insulin resistance without weight loss. A real bonus for those who struggle to regulate their BG.
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    I don't IF but I've gone from grazing allll day to sticking to 3 meals around 500 cals/day. It's been helpful knowing when I'm eating next and knowing I won't be hungry in between. I've been stronger fighting off unplanned snacks or work treats, knowing I have a delish fatty meal coming up. lol
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Hi there...I've been doing 16/8 IF since the beginning of the year, and I was seeing an improvement with my A1C -and lost about 5 lbs in 6 months lol. I wasn't really tracking what I was eating, nor was I restricting myself from anything, just my usual diet. I started keto at the end of July, and to date I've lost close to 20lbs. Tracking definitely helps. I typically don't eat until noon, and stop eating by 8PM. About once a week, I do a 24-hour fast.

Initially, the urge to snack or quell a growling tummy was very strong. I relied on sugar free gum, bone broth, water, and zero calorie drinks to get me through. (I know bone broth has 30 calories per serving), until eventually I was making it to 12PM with just water and a cup of strong tea in the mornings. Now, I have my cup of tea, and drink about half a gallon of water before noon, and then drink the other half by 8PM. On the days I do a 24-hour fast, I eat dinner by 6 or so, and then don't eat again until dinner the following evening. On those days, I drink a gallon of water, with electrolytes.

I feel really good, and I actually have a checkup and bloodwork with my doctor this afternoon to see what my numbers look like.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I don't IF but I've gone from grazing allll day to sticking to 3 meals around 500 cals/day. It's been helpful knowing when I'm eating next and knowing I won't be hungry in between. I've been stronger fighting off unplanned snacks or work treats, knowing I have a delish fatty meal coming up. lol

Do you mean 500 calories per meal?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2018
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    meenagha wrote: »

IF has been shown to improve insulin resistance without weight loss. A real bonus for those who struggle to regulate their BG.

ok well insulin aside
  • nutmegoreo wrote: »

Do you mean 500 calories per meal?

I took it as being 500 calories for each meal but I could be wrong