NSV: Bench rep-off. Winning at age 42, down 100-plus pounds

Options
einr6355z7md.jpg

NSV: That's me on the left and Mike on the right. We're the old warhorses of the campus gym. Been working out at the same time for going on six years. This week, the rec center has been holding a bench rep-off competition.

In the competition, you bench 75 percent of your body weight as many times as you can. If you hit a benchmark, you get a T-shirt. If you win, you get points that accumulate for prizes, but more so, bragging rights.

Mike is 62 years old. An absolute beast. He benched 135 pounds 25 times, more than three times the benchmark for his age division.

I'm proud to say, that at 42, I benched 165 pounds (this also needs I need to lose some lbs when you do the math) 25 times, twice the benchmark for my age group and at the benchmark for 20- to 29-year-olds.

This is eight years after I weighed 320 pounds and probably could barely bench the bar and two years after I could barely walk, let alone lift, thanks to Epstein-Barr.

You work, you will be rewarded. Mike and I regularly beat 18 to 22 year olds in these competitions. ANYTHING is possible.

Replies

• ngk2000
    ngk2000 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    einr6355z7md.jpg

NSV: That's me on the left and Mike on the right. We're the old warhorses of the campus gym. Been working out at the same time for going on six years. This week, the rec center has been holding a bench rep-off competition.

In the competition, you bench 75 percent of your body weight as many times as you can. If you hit a benchmark, you get a T-shirt. If you win, you get points that accumulate for prizes, but more so, bragging rights.

Mike is 62 years old. An absolute beast. He benched 135 pounds 25 times, more than three times the benchmark for his age division.

I'm proud to say, that at 42, I benched 165 pounds (this also needs I need to lose some lbs when you do the math) 25 times, twice the benchmark for my age group and at the benchmark for 20- to 29-year-olds.

This is eight years after I weighed 320 pounds and probably could barely bench the bar and two years after I could barely walk, let alone lift, thanks to Epstein-Barr.

You work, you will be rewarded. Mike and I regularly beat 18 to 22 year olds in these competitions. ANYTHING is possible.

wtg and I have epstein barr as well. flare ups suck and leave you weak I get that. but great accomplishments!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MFP Rockstar! B)
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    Options
    Brilliant!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    That's really strong. I've been benching a while and it's safe to say, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that right now. That's fantastic.
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    MFP Rockstar! B)

Thanks!
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome!!!!! Thank you for sharing
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    einr6355z7md.jpg

wtg and I have epstein barr as well. flare ups suck and leave you weak I get that. but great accomplishments!

Thank you. I couldn't lift for nearly 18 months thanks to EBV.
  • Herb937
    Herb937 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    Brilliant!

Thanks!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    That's really strong. I've been benching a while and it's safe to say, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that right now. That's fantastic.

Thanks. Appreciate it.
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You guys rock!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    SO inspiring!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    hoppgeorge wrote: »

Thanks!
  • PackSwede
    PackSwede Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!, i couldn't bench press 75% of my weight even once if my life depended on it.

That bring said i recently started lifting again after a 20 year or so "break" and weight is also coming down pretty fast so as i get stronger and drop in weight i might have a chance, thanks for the inspiration!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    hoppgeorge wrote: »

Thank you!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    Herb937 wrote: »
    Great job!!

Thank you.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely fantastic! And I just have to say that your friend Mike is my brother's doppelganger.

jqv6qua0d333.jpg

• erniewebbiii
    Options
    winn9524 wrote: »
    You guys rock!

Thank you!
  • erniewebbiii
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    SO inspiring!

Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!