Cooking Challenge: Okra

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited October 1 in Recipes
Welcome to the forty-third round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from tabithon, the winner of the spaghetti squash cooking challenge.

okra_22.jpg

This week's challenge is OKRA.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday August 20th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• tabithon
    tabithon Posts: 10 Member
    I'm always looking for new okra recipes, and I can't wait to see what you guys have!
  • inskydiamonds
    If you haven't used okra before, now is the time!
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    I love Okra! Cant wait to read what everyone does with it!
  • inskydiamonds
    I'm hoping to see some okra dishes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Someone has to have an okra recipe!
  • I'm new here, but I felt sorry for this poor Okra thread! I have a recipe that I LOVE. I used it on weight watchers. It's a great side dish.
    NAME OF RECIPE: Stewed Tomatoes and Okra
    2 cups of Okra - sliced (I usually use a bag of frozen okra)
    2 cups of diced tomatoes, with the juice (I usually just throw in a can)
    1/4 - 1/2 diced onion
    1/2 cup of water
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    Sautee the onions in some cooking spray for 2 minutes. Add the rest and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Yummy and healthy! (0 points for 1/2 cup on old WW - the whole thing is only 4 points total.)
    CALORIES PER SERVING: I figured it as 52 Calories .2g of fat 2.7g protein 4.4g fiber (I didn't count the cooking spray)
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: I entered it as 4 servings
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I love it! It's a little spicy, but it's just from the pepper (I love spice so I usually add more). It's not slimy like some boiled okra can be. I serve it with tilapia.

My mom has an amazing recipe for Gumbo that uses okra... not sure what the calories are - it's just chicken, chicken broth, and okra and a little flour for the rous (sp?). If that counts and anyone wants it I can figure it all up. Down side? You add rice to it, so that would up the calories.

I haven't posted here before. I don't know if any questions will come to my email. If not, try beccar04 @ yahoo . com
    I hope you like it!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    I live in Oklahoma. And I really abhor okra. :( I'm sorry.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    oops double post. sorry. sorry. ;)
  • Again, not trying to win, but we make okra the creole way with onions, garlic, and celery. Sautee up and add tomatoes. You need to let it simmer until the tomatoes are cooked really well.
  • inskydiamonds
    It looks like we only have one entry..
    So congratulations to beccar04 for winning the cooking challenge! Keep an eye out for the next one.
This discussion has been closed.