Diet Books

Options
Does anyone here swear by a diet book and things it really works? Or does anyone know of any diet books that actually work?

Replies

• jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here swear by a diet book and things it really works? Or does anyone know of any diet books that actually work?
  • beagle595
    Options
    Nope... Otherwise everyone would be following it! Healthy eating, portion control, no night eating, 7 hours of sleep a night , water and exercise. And we would all be healthy. :wink:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I used the points system with Weight Watchers, we have several of their cookbooks and they are good and it does work. However you have to actually follow the program for it to continue to work, LOL. I didn't join Weight Watchers, just bought the cookbooks and looked up how many points I could eat in a day. Also, it does list calories and whatnot so you can do it without using the points system, at the time, though, that was easier for us.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Let me save you some money...here is DaveWay Diet by Dave

Chapter 1-Eat less than you burn

Chapter 2- exercise 4-6 times a week

Chapter 3- drink alot of good clean water

Chapter 4-Enjoy yourself and take your time

the end

free of charge
  • MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options
    I have MANY books, at my young age of 24, on "diets": South Beach, Fat Flush, french women don't get fat, just to name a few!

And, yes, they all have their perks and their silly ideas.....Mostly, though, they have great "try this instead of that" recipes.

I mean NO bread? Not happening!
    A milloin weird vitamins and a cran-water flush (can we say serious UTI???? and UGH??)
    And an out right lie! lol...

The best thing you can invest in is an open mind, a willingness to change, and the common sense to know that some things are NEVER good for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options

Let me save you some money...here is DaveWay Diet by Dave

Chapter 1-Eat less than you burn

Chapter 2- exercise 4-6 times a week

Chapter 3- drink alot of good clean water

Chapter 4-Enjoy yourself and take your time

the end

free of charge

I heart you.....:happy:
  • jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dave,

I'm not looking for a "get skinny in 2 days" book or something. I meant a legitimate book with long-term weight loss and weight management.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hey JMoney,

The South Beach Diet, Sonoma Diet, Abs Diet, Zone, etc....they all essentially say the same thing. They emphasize a lifestyle change. Eat 5-6 small meals per day (200-300 calories each), have lean protein at each meal, eat healthy unsaturated fats, limit your carbohydrate intake to whole grains (non white carbs like sugar/flour/cornstarch are a huge NO!), and cut back on dairy. Use portion control, but with these programs, exact sizes are not emphasized. After following them for awhile, you should be able to eyeball appropriate portion sizes. All of these books are good, and they all have people who have success. To be honest, it's hardly ever the diet or exercise that fails a person, it's the person that fails the program. That's where finding a program that works for YOU is important. Can you commit to eating clean (mostly fresh vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, limited sodium and unprocessed food), or do you want to eat packaged, processed food?

I am not a professional nutritionist, but this is the nutrition program that nearly everyone who is serious about fitness follows. You're not doing your body any favors by eating processed, partially hydrogenated, packaged, low-this or that ANYTHING, even if it does come in 100 calorie packs. Still junk. Protein is king, and the majority of your calories should be derived from lean protein. Fats should be kept relatively low, and derived from unsaturated sources such as olive oil, almonds, and lean meats. Carbohydrates should also be somewhat limited, especially those coming from white flour and sugar. If you simply cut sugar out of your plan, except the small amounts found in some vegetables, you will notice a dramatic change in energy level and how lean your body looks in a very short period of time. While fruit is healthy, keep in mind that sugar is sugar is sugar. Too much WILL spike blood sugar.

I emphasize that "diet" is a dirty word. The moment you start telling people you're on a diet, you are essentially setting yourself up for failure, because in today's world, diet implies something that you will go off of after reaching your goal. Essentially, these are all setting the groundwork for LIFESTYLE changes. Once you find the common ground in many of these "diet books," you'll see that they all have the same basic guidelines. The way food is prepared is what differs though, and they are very helpful for healthy recipes that the whole family will enjoy. South Beach and Sonoma provide some particularly tasty variations. I hope all of this information helps, and please let us know how you're doing.

Michelle