Bulk

Options
Going to bulk but honestly not sure what I’m doing. Goal, killer bum and toned everywhere else. I’m slim now and rather lucky with frame but just want to firm up everywhere and grow some impressive glutes. I’m only doing it to achieve a better bikini bod so I don’t need to be too strict. Don’t want to lose out on essential micronutrients. A nice healthy bulk up

Replies

• helengris82
    helengris82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ps I’m dyslexic so if this doesn’t sound correctly wrote out it’s because I’ve transferred contents of head to here. In nut shell I don’t want to count every single cal but I do need discipline. I’m 36, single, in recovery after poor mental health, so be good achievement to aim for
  • helengris82
    Options
    Amazing thank you I’ll screenshot this so in gallery to refer to. I’ve managed to resist sugary biscuits for few days and been extra mindful about protein so feel ready to at least try
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No prob. Obviously you don't want 100% of your intake to be cookies but I mean, once you get adequate protein, fibre, nutritious food, nothing wrong with a few especially when your intake is high when gaining. Unless of course having a few leads to the whole box.

Start logging your intake on here and see where you can make any changes with your diet, I always found that helpful.
  • helengris82
    Options
    Going to start in morning. Way I can look at this, I track food to educate and gain, I use social media aps less as they only bring me connections rather than health and physical changes. I can do this :)
  • helengris82
    Options
    I’m around 8 stone (need to get weighed) would 40% carb 30% fat and 30 protein be ok?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Also your goals are kind of inefficient for the body. Bulking up and getting “toned” are completely different processes for the body. One requires a caloric surplus which can illicit fat gain (dependent upon how large your surplus is), and one requires a caloric deficit. You can’t “tone” a muscle, you get toned by reducing subcutaneous and visceral fat. I’d just run a slight surplus to minimize fat gain. Make sure you track your lifts to so you can ensure progressive overload
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I prefer to work in grams, since % can vary depending your intake (ex. 30% protein on 2000 cals would be 150g, on 3500 cals it would be 262... huge difference). For protein you'd want to aim for at least 90-112g, at least 40g fat, and rest carbs.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Also your goals are kind of inefficient for the body. Bulking up and getting “toned” are completely different processes for the body. One requires a caloric surplus which can illicit fat gain (dependent upon how large your surplus is), and one requires a caloric deficit. You can’t “tone” a muscle, you get toned by reducing subcutaneous and visceral fat. I’d just run a slight surplus to minimize fat gain. Make sure you track your lifts to so you can ensure progressive overload

And this is true. You won't gain and obtain definition at the same time, perhaps at the end of a bulk/cut cycle, although it can take many cycles (years...) to build enough to be satisfied.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked out with a competitive bodybuilder and he said to be big you have to eat big and lift big. During bulking he would only eat lean red meat like elk, deer, or buffalo. He would switch to fish and chicken when he wanted to lean out before a competition or show. He would eat mid workout in the gym which would make me puke but it worked for him. You will have to ease into bulking because it is very hard on your joints and it will take your body a while to get used to eating as often or as much as you will need to really bulk up. Always just listen to your body so you don't over do it. Best of luck!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked out with a competitive bodybuilder and he said to be big you have to eat big and lift big. During bulking he would only eat lean red meat like elk, deer, or buffalo. He would switch to fish and chicken when he wanted to lean out before a competition or show. He would eat mid workout in the gym which would make me puke but it worked for him. You will have to ease into bulking because it is very hard on your joints and it will take your body a while to get used to eating as often or as much as you will need to really bulk up. Always just listen to your body so you don't over do it. Best of luck!

Not trying to be rude, but I don’t understand the reason or logic for the first half of this comment...
    Only saying this so opie and others don’t listen/ follow it
  • Grambo54
    Grambo54 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You know, i would ask the OP a few more questions before rushing to answer. I see this happening all the time on here. Someone posts with limited info and all the generic advice comes out. We are not all the same. We dont respond the same. We are all different psychologically. Based on what the OP said I would say squats build glutes, but they build legs too. Is that what the Op wants? No one asks questions on this forum, they just cant wait to answer whatever is asked.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    You know, i would ask the OP a few more questions before rushing to answer. I see this happening all the time on here. Someone posts with limited info and all the generic advice comes out. We are not all the same. We dont respond the same. We are all different psychologically. Based on what the OP said I would say squats build glutes, but they build legs too. Is that what the Op wants? No one asks questions on this forum, they just cant wait to answer whatever is asked.

What advice are you not happy with? Perhaps knowing OPs stats may have helped more? Ok sure.

I try to give advice based on what information I am given, but I usually ask more questions if OP seems really lost and confused as to what to do.

I recommended Strong Curves which is an excellent glute focused program, not one focused on squats.
  • helengris82
    Options
    Strong curves getting downloaded right now x
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Strong curves getting downloaded right now x

I'm actually doing a variation of the beginners workout right now, I forgot how awesome it is!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Not trying to be rude, but I don’t understand the reason or logic for the first half of this comment...

Agree.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are pretty lean and slim, bulking might be a good option for you. Keep in mind when you gain weight, you will gain some fat too, but with a small lean bulk it should be minimal and will come off when you cut after.

If you want to bulk, my advice:

-Keep the surplus reasonable, I would say no more than 0.5lb per week gain or 250 extra cals per day or less. Any more than that and your fat gains will be more likely to increase. (this is the general recommendation for females)

-Macros... minimum protein 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight, fats 0.35-0.6g per lb, rest carbs. I would recommend to keep your intake mostly nutritionally dense foods for health and optimal performance but don't be scared of adding in some treats, they are great to help you reach your goal and makes the bulk more enjoyable (especially if your cals get up there).

-Programming, I would make sure you are following a progressive lifting program, something geared towards your goals. Glute gains I would recommend Strong Curves. It is awesome and straight forward and 3-4x per week.

-Cardio.. is fine if you enjoy it and want to do it for health.. but I wouldn't do so much that you can't keep up with your intake (the more you burn the more you need to fuel to keep in a surplus), also be mindful if it starts to affect your workouts.. cardio that relies heavily on the lower body can impair your ability to lift and progress.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

This is the lady you want to listen to. Look at her profile pics. She took herself from thin to killer glutes and a great bikini figure. She is also one of the sweetest and most helpful people her in addition to her expertise.

Ahh thanks you are too kind! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are pretty lean and slim, bulking might be a good option for you. Keep in mind when you gain weight, you will gain some fat too, but with a small lean bulk it should be minimal and will come off when you cut after.

If you want to bulk, my advice:

-Keep the surplus reasonable, I would say no more than 0.5lb per week gain or 250 extra cals per day or less. Any more than that and your fat gains will be more likely to increase. (this is the general recommendation for females)

-Macros... minimum protein 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight, fats 0.35-0.6g per lb, rest carbs. I would recommend to keep your intake mostly nutritionally dense foods for health and optimal performance but don't be scared of adding in some treats, they are great to help you reach your goal and makes the bulk more enjoyable (especially if your cals get up there).

-Programming, I would make sure you are following a progressive lifting program, something geared towards your goals. Glute gains I would recommend Strong Curves. It is awesome and straight forward and 3-4x per week.

-Cardio.. is fine if you enjoy it and want to do it for health.. but I wouldn't do so much that you can't keep up with your intake (the more you burn the more you need to fuel to keep in a surplus), also be mindful if it starts to affect your workouts.. cardio that relies heavily on the lower body can impair your ability to lift and progress.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

This is the lady you want to listen to. Look at her profile pics. She took herself from thin to killer glutes and a great bikini figure. She is also one of the sweetest and most helpful people her in addition to her expertise.

Ahh thanks you are too kind! :)

Facts are facts! <3
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Agree.

Seconded. There's a strange dichotomy of advice between sensible bulking and BULKING, BRUH! that really fascinates me. You don't have to be Gaston to see gains. Per usual, Sardelsa's advice is spot on.