What foods tonight to carry me through a fast tomorrow?

Options
I'm having surgery tomorrow and have to fast after midnight. My surgery isn't scheduled until 3 pm, and that is only if they are not running behind. General anesthesia, which I know will leave me sick after- always does. I doubt I'll eat at all tomorrow.

I don't fast well. I'm pre-diabetic and try to be carb/sugar conscious with small meals and frequent snacks so that I don't get big dips.

What can I eat tonight that may help to carry me through a bit into tomorrow? I'll have an extra 1000-1400 calories to play with.

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    What foods do you find "stick with" you for a long time? I'd go for those. For me it would be a good mix of protein, fat & fiber that seem to keep me going for a long time.

And sorry your surgery is so late in the day - that's miserable! I'm having surgery later this week but at least they scheduled me to be there at 5 a.m.

Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult situation. But I think they just tell you "midnight" - ask if you can eat breakfast, and when, I'm quite sure you're just supposed to fast for X hours before the surgery.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult situation. But I think they just tell you "midnight" - ask if you can eat breakfast, and when, I'm quite sure you're just supposed to fast for X hours before the surgery.

Good point; I did ask since it was so late. They said 12 hours fasting before arrival, which will be 1 pm. So I guess I could eat at 1 am. Hopefully though, I'll be sleeping at that hour.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    That's really difficult. Like @RAinWA asked, what sticks with you the best? For me, fat and protein would be the way to go. In your situation, I would also suggest loading up with a heavier meal than might be typical. Not enough to make you feel sick, but enough for you to actually be full rather than just not hungry or satisfied. I don't know what time you go to bed, but you might want to consider setting an alarm and waking up ~midnight or 1 for a final snack.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lots of fat and protein! I regularly fast about 18-20 hours a day and eat in a 4-6 hour window. I eat veggies cooked in coconut oil, lately ground beef has been quite satisfying, eggs, avocado, been eating a lot of cheese lately, and I have a weak spot for chocolate so I end up eating several spoonfuls of coconut oil mixed with cocoa. Olives and olive oil are good. Cheese, salmon, nuts. Avoid the carbs. I eat this way every day and seriously don't even consider food all day long! Might be hard if you're not used to it, though, but that's my best advice. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I don't fast well either, but it's only one day. Once I get past the initial hangry part it seems to get easier.

Sending many healing thoughts for a successful outcome tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I get very jittery when I go long between meals- must be blood sugar dips. Hoping to mediate that a bit. Good advice here!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Toast, banana and peanut butter!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What about liquids like Sprite or Gatorade? If you are prone to blood sugar dips, ask if you're allowed a liquid with some simple sugar. Or glucose tablets?

If not, then eat a good, balanced meal the night before but don't go overboard. You don't want to wake up feeling sick from eating too much. Personally, I'd do a 4oz steak, a vegetable, a small potato, and 1/4 c of nuts.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My ex-MIL's meatloaf, that thing would sit in my stomach like a brick for days

But, potatoes and something protien dense.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a big filler for me. I have egg salad when I need something relatively easy and know I won't be eating for a while.