What foods make you feel satisfied?

Options

Replies

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Gonna be honest. The most satisfying meal for me is a Portuguese sausage on biscuit with spicy tomato gravy and an egg on top. After that meal I don’t eat for 10 hours. 🤤

Satisfied and full of volume have never been the same thing for me. I feel betrayed when I eat so much that I am stuffed but then I am hungry 1 hour later because it was Swedish pancakes or watermelon. Then there was that time I was starving and someone gave me a zero calorie aspartame sweetened beverage. So much sadness.

Foods: cooked whole grains, like quinoa, millet, wild rice, rolled oats, and barley, peanut bubber, milk, cheese, avacado, steak, eggs, black beans and cooked plantains, apples, popcorn...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Satiety? Meat
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are super filling for me also protein!
    But sometimes I just wanna snack even though I’m not super hungry. That’s when I eat sugar free jello with light whipped cream on top! 26 calories!
    Or broccoli with cheese sauce! Even a baked potato will fill me up!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like the feeling of being satisfied, but dislike a "full" feeling. I find it uncomfortable. Smaller meals eaten more frequently make me feel best vs. a few large meals. I think what helps is including a balance of carbs, fat and protein, and foods with fiber really help me, personally. Snacking on an apple, a mozzarella cheese stick/cottage cheese/Greek yogurt, and a serving of nuts will keep me going for hours. I don't feel heavy and full, but I feel satisfied and refueled.
  • beccik1992
    beccik1992 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it would be chicken, vegetables (plenty of them) and sweet potato and maybe a boiled egg. It is actually a filling quick dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Join a gym or buy a treadmill... seriously. If you can't, find exercise videos on youtube. I'd go nuts if I had to depend on the weather to exercise (and absolutely can't stick to maintenance calories if I'm sedentary either, let alone a deficit).

But an apple after a meal is always extremely satisfying to me... just got to find the one you like (pink ladies for me, but I like the 'early fuji' or 'suncrisp' from a local orchard as well). But you got to pair it with some protein and/or fat, or a fruit by itself is never going to be as filling.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    carbs, especially good quality bread (fresh baguette, or artisan wholegrain), rice, pasta, potatoes, couscous, bulgur, and all the other grains.
  • climberbry
    climberbry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Google leptin foods
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    most soups, pasta, steak
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    breakfast is a definite for me with steel cut oatmeal and a piece of grain bread.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Steak & potatoes!
  • susansmckenzie
    susansmckenzie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For snacks: apples, apples and more apples. I eat them with the individually wrapped cheese sticks (for portion control), with peanut butter, on their own or with oatmeal. But not cooked in the oatmeal but raw on the side. Theres something very satisfying about the crunch of a crisp apple. I also eat a lot of eggs. Poached nearly every day for breakfast and have hard boiled eggs on hand in fridge to eat after workouts or throw on salads.
  • normajbowman
    normajbowman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, when I get hungry I make sure to eat a full serving (at 500-600 calories) of lasagna or steak and potatoes and I'm good to go. I make sure not to rely on a salad for a meal on days when my body craves dense calories. Eat more dense calorie rich foods to stay full and satisfied. Eventually the cravings will pass...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Protein ands high fiber veggies and fruits. Also, nuts and seeds.

Pretty much, and also beans and lentils and potatoes.

But more important is not worrying about feeling "full." Focusing on not feeling hungry is sufficient. I think many have messed up ideas of what full is.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've found this to be a good 1,2 punch tackling high protein, sufficient fiber:
    slec6k7yqq2i.png
    +
    dovn65gai9ai.png

(Or any combination of fiber that mixes well with zero fat greek yogurt...Fage is just notoriously the thickest brand out there)
  • Howl_Of_Solace
    Howl_Of_Solace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what I eat I always find if I drink a whole pint of cold water before and another one after I've eaten, even if it's just a snack I feel full.
  • mjolnir81
    mjolnir81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Meat and veg for me. I'll have something like steak, sweet potato and lots of salad. I always try and bulk my meals out with some low calorie salad or veggies so I feel like I have a big plate full of food.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    There is no food on the gods' green earth that makes me feel satisfied. This is because for me, appetite is entirely mental. What does make me feel satisfied is getting so thoroughly engrossed in something that my brain forgets about suggesting food :)

(If I'm actually physically in need of food, this tends to manifest in being too tired and indecisive to get any. Helpful, thanks, body)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've found this to be a good 1,2 punch tackling high protein, sufficient fiber:
    slec6k7yqq2i.png
    +
    dovn65gai9ai.png

(Or any combination of fiber that mixes well with zero fat greek yogurt...Fage is just notoriously the thickest brand out there)

I love the Fage 0 and eat close to 2 cups per day.

However I don't eat until I'm full, pretty much ever. I eat until I'm no longer hungry. Big, big difference to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Complex, fiber rich carbohydrates...beans, lentils, oats, potatoes and sweet potatoes and other tubers, etc.

I also don't eat until "full"...I hate that feeling. I eat so that I'm just not hungry.