IRON ISSUES / girl problems / Anaemia / weight loss/ energy levels / Cast Iron Cooking

Options
2»

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Out of interest has anyone tried ferrous fumerate long term? Just wondered if the constipation wears off...it’s been 9 days :/
  • Healthy_Libby
    Healthy_Libby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Out of interest has anyone tried ferrous fumerate long term? Just wondered if the constipation wears off...it’s been 9 days :/

Go to the health food store and get the bottle of liquid iron. Hubner or floradix or something, its vegetarian, and it will not mess with your digestion.... best thing I ever tried. Obv food is better but in a pinch.

And no.... I dont think it will wear off... I couldn't take those pills :neutral:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

I was on FerraMax brand for 6 months. The constipation did not go away.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have had quite a lot of improvement by taking a medication to reduce heavy bleeding on the worst days of my period.

I can't take the contraceptive pill due to migraines, and supplements give me horrible stomach issues, so this felt like my last resort - so pleased I talked to my doctor about it. Between that and some other medical issues being sorted, I finally have energy to focus on food and exercise.

I also have a set of cheap cast iron pans - not really sure if they have had much impact on my iron levels, but they are great non stick pans when well seasoned :) I originally thought I would use them for a while and if they were any good I would get some fancier ones. Ten years on and they are still going strong.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can find totally tasteless iron supplements at the local CVS. Just regular pills. One of those is 18mg.

I hate cast irons pans so I'm not much help there. Remember though some foods prevent iron absorption too... I mean, I can eat two servings of rice crispies for 100% of my daily iron, but the milk I eat it with probably negates a big chunk of it.
    Best thing I have been told to correct my chronically low ferritin levels(at Times undetectable): remove uterus. Now, just to find someone to do it. Sigh. I have taken iron up to 3 times daily, in all varieties available, cook in cast iron, vit c with iron rich food, no coffee/tea/things high in tannins when consuming iron products, liver and red meat consumed regularly, etc. Anemia and severely low ferritin sucks and I feel for all of you. If I could remove my uterus myself I so would. And I should not be so flip about it, but I am so over this!!

You don't have to do anything so drastic... get a uterine ablation. It's a much smaller procedure... and probably my next step if Mirena doesn't help (my GYN asked me to try that first, and said that it should help with bleeding - have you tried it?). Of course... you got to be sure that you don't want (more) children first, and you'll still have to be on birth control if you do that..
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You can find totally tasteless iron supplements at the local CVS. Just regular pills. One of those is 18mg.

I hate cast irons pans so I'm not much help there. Remember though some foods prevent iron absorption too... I mean, I can eat two servings of rice crispies for 100% of my daily iron, but the milk I eat it with probably negates a big chunk of it.
    Best thing I have been told to correct my chronically low ferritin levels(at Times undetectable): remove uterus. Now, just to find someone to do it. Sigh. I have taken iron up to 3 times daily, in all varieties available, cook in cast iron, vit c with iron rich food, no coffee/tea/things high in tannins when consuming iron products, liver and red meat consumed regularly, etc. Anemia and severely low ferritin sucks and I feel for all of you. If I could remove my uterus myself I so would. And I should not be so flip about it, but I am so over this!!

You don't have to do anything so drastic... get a uterine ablation. It's a much smaller procedure... and probably my next step if Mirena doesn't help (my GYN asked me to try that first, and said that it should help with bleeding - have you tried it?). Of course... you got to be sure that you don't want (more) children first, and you'll still have to be on birth control if you do that..

Fibroids the size I have make an ablation pretty much useless. It won’t get at all the spaces and just risks infection. I can’t do any bc pills or Mirena due to migraines so my husband has a vascectomy for B.C. so we are set there. I am just not a good candidate for that procedure. Injecting the blood supply to the fibroids is another option not often done by surgeons in my area I am told, but at almost 38, with my first child in college, bleeding enough to come close to needing a transfusion every month, they don’t want to risk my reproductive health by taking away my uterus. My sisters GP is 4 hours away and also a surgeon who did her hyster due to severe Endo. I am going to book time off to go talk to him. She was denied a hysterectomy for years by a handful of doctors and when he finally went in and took it he found her pain was because she actually had holes in the walls of her uterus! Sorry, I have thrown this thread completely off topic... free health care is wonderful, I just wish I didn’t have to beg not to bleed to death(2litwrs loss each month with highest dosage of tranexamic acid allowed).
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hit my iron everyday by eating crown prince baby boiled clams. They have the highest amount of iron per calorie I’ve seen. I track what I’m going to eat that day and add however many clams I need to reach my iron. Usually I need between .7-1.5 oz.
  • Francl27
    Options

Fibroids the size I have make an ablation pretty much useless. It won’t get at all the spaces and just risks infection. I can’t do any bc pills or Mirena due to migraines so my husband has a vascectomy for B.C. so we are set there. I am just not a good candidate for that procedure. Injecting the blood supply to the fibroids is another option not often done by surgeons in my area I am told, but at almost 38, with my first child in college, bleeding enough to come close to needing a transfusion every month, they don’t want to risk my reproductive health by taking away my uterus. My sisters GP is 4 hours away and also a surgeon who did her hyster due to severe Endo. I am going to book time off to go talk to him. She was denied a hysterectomy for years by a handful of doctors and when he finally went in and took it he found her pain was because she actually had holes in the walls of her uterus! Sorry, I have thrown this thread completely off topic... free health care is wonderful, I just wish I didn’t have to beg not to bleed to death(2litwrs loss each month with highest dosage of tranexamic acid allowed).

Isn't there a procedure to get rid of the fibroids? I thought they always did that before an ablation anyway.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I had an ablation and it didn't work and then they did a hysterectomy and I am still having all the same issues as before. Not that I regret doing it ( best thing I ever did lol) but it might not cure your anemia
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Lucky iron fish-reusable. created to be added to soup and such- boiled for 15 minutes- to help prevent iron deficiencies in poverty stricken areas. Studies have shown it works fairly well.

It is basically like the cast iron concept, except it works.

Actual Cast iron pans won’t do much because you have the seasoning coating that is between your food and the iron, so there is little to no iron in contact with your food, so little to no extra iron Added to your food.
  • AbbeyGBR
    AbbeyGBR Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your iron issue, but happy the subject was posted. I have since 1st pregnancy, 36 years ago, found iron repulsive. They gave me pG vitamins & I belched iron taste all day and night long. And, having a deeply rooted cast iron string of cooks in my family, I was shocked to find that I could no longer eat anything cooked in cast iron. All I can taste is iron. 36 years and I still taste iron in the food but I can tolerate it somewhat now. And I thought I was crazy! So did anyone I mentioned this to. And the best thing I EVER did for myself was have the uterus removed at age 36. Wow life is so much better. But stats show women who have it removed usually go thru menopause earlier than those intact. That sucked, but life on the other side is great!
  • YourJuneInJan
    YourJuneInJan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Spinach. I cook down 2Cups spinach to make omelettes and skillets.
  • Healthy_Libby
    Healthy_Libby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update, I was able to donate blood, 12.9 was my iron level, so I just made the cut off at 12.5. I did use supplements (again) The Floradix pills/liquid... I really feel paying attention to this impacts my whole life, how much energy I have, how I sleep, how good my workouts are. Been watching few videos by dr. Sebi on how iron Flouride is the "spark plug" of the human body. Trying to understand the difference between ferrous sulphate (metal) and the iron from plants and how we use them differently. Also trying to add little Irish Sea moss to my diet, seeing how that goes. Felt pretty drained after donating tho, fell asleep in the middle of the day (never happens!) so it does take a toll, but in my mind its worth it... it doesn't cost me anything and it could save a life, especially being O negative... I know it will get to someone who needs it. Gives me a little motivation to stay healthy too. Hope this post encourages people to look at their iron intake, see if making it a priority helps with your health and fitness. I know its helping me :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    I've been on 36g of iron supplements (plant stuff I got from CVS) for 2 weeks now and honestly... I can't tell the difference. I'm probably getting tested in 2 months again.

I can't donate blood anyway because I grew up in Europe.
  • youngmomtaz
    edited March 2019
    Options

Sitting in my hospital bed receiving from fibroid removal(myomectomy) and endometrial resection. They will let me leave once the epidural wears off and I can move my legs again. So far I have some minor motion starting at the hips but am feeling fairly useless. Anyway, I hope this solves some issues. I am hoping to be able to cut back on the iron supplements in a few months, once my levels are up, and edit out the tranexamic acid completely. I hope everyone here is doing ok as well!!
  • BetterMe29
    BetterMe29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cast iron cookware is the best! I was concerned with the amount of aluminum that was transferring into our food when we used aluminum cookware and switched to cast iron years ago. If you want to give it a try, I recommend starting with a medium sized skillet and lid. They have glass lids now and I'd go with that before a cast iron lid. I like to see my food cooking and taking the lid off to take a peek messes with the cooking time and temperature.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Sitting in my hospital bed receiving from fibroid removal(myomectomy) and endometrial resection. They will let me leave once the epidural wears off and I can move my legs again. So far I have some minor motion starting at the hips but am feeling fairly useless. Anyway, I hope this solves some issues. I am hoping to be able to cut back on the iron supplements in a few months, once my levels are up, and edit out the tranexamic acid completely. I hope everyone here is doing ok as well!!

@youngmomtaz hope your recovery is quick!

How much tranexamic acid were you taking?

I take 650 mg every 6 hours for 2-3 days. Was supposed to be every 8 hours for no more than 5 days, but Niagara Falls would kick back in at 8 hours and not let up for 2-3 hours. Taking it a little earlier fixes that, and I don't need it for the full 5 days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I think I found a winner.... I do not think I could eat liver... black pudding has.... 11.8mg per 100g. Thats the same as dark chocolate. Although its actually lower calorie than dark chocolate.

So if I have 100g black pudding (12mg), 50g dark chocolate (6mg), Pumpkin seeds 30g (1mg) Im there. So when I go to donate I should be good. And if I fry in cast iron too :)

I've never heard of black pudding, googled it, found a recipe, first ingredient = 4 cups fresh pig's blood :lol:

I'll stick to the liverwurst I mentioned on the first page. (I hate liver, but liverwurst is not a problem.)
  • youngmomtaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@youngmomtaz hope your recovery is quick!

How much tranexamic acid were you taking?

I take 650 mg every 6 hours for 2-3 days. Was supposed to be every 8 hours for no more than 5 days, but Niagara Falls would kick back in at 8 hours and not let up for 2-3 hours. Taking it a little earlier fixes that, and I don't need it for the full 5 days.

My original prescription was for 1500mg, 3 times a day. The second gyn I saw said that if I could set alarms and stick with it, to dose those 9 pills(500mg each) evenly through the hours I was awake. So I would start at 5:30am and take one every 2 hours. Unfortunately, it only seemed to reduce flow by about 25% (and I was losing close to 2 litre) so it seemed like a lot of effort for little help. I would take it for 4 days and then still have 4-5 of moderate to mild flow. Anyway, this doc did promise me that if in 6 months I have not had good physical results he will take my uterus. Can’t do any hormones due to very high genetic breast cancer risk, as well as hormone triggered migraine.

I am feeling quite well today surprisingly. He prescribed 3 types of heavy pain meds, only one was acceptable to me as the others would have just had me vomiting. But the cramping is far less than any period I have ever had, and the most pain I have is along the side of my spine where my erector muscle got mad and contracted back at the initial injection before insertion of the spinal.