Weight gain and Lexapro

Anyone else have problems with a 10-15 lb weight gain while taking Lexapro or Celexa?? I gain 10 lbs within the first month. No changes to diet or exercise. I will not come off!!!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It'll get easier as your body adjusts to it. I had the opposite problem with Wellbutrin, I could barely eat the first week. But it slowly levelled off.

Try all the normal stuff. Log diligently, don't keep treats in the house so you have to at least go out to get it if you're going to give into a craving, etc.

Good luck! :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I have a close family member who takes it. He had no gain, and in fact, decided to lose weight and did so without a problem. I mean, he struggled with getting the right nutrition with M-F work travel and working late and wanting to eat/drink more than he needed ... you know, the usual stuff that’s hard about maintaining a consistent deficit, but the lexapro didn’t make it harder. When he first started taking it, he couldn’t drink alcohol (didn’t agree with him), and that helped him drop weight initially but he regained it when he started drinking again.

How are you measuring your food/beverage intake?
  • Coffee_qd
    Coffee_qd Posts: 31 Member
    I have been taking Lexapro for four months now and have had no change in weight. Continuing my eating and logging just as I have been.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    I take it and am losing weight consistently. I haven't been on Celexa but my youngest child was on it for issues relating to autism and he did gain some weight.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    I've been on Lexapro for years. I was able to lose a significant amount of weight while still taking it.

Everyone is different, though. Different people react differently to the same meds. For example, I also take Abilify, which has been touted to be weight-neutral, but it caused me to gain back about 30 pounds of what I lost.

Best advice I can give is to keep logging and exercising regularly. And if the weight gain from the Lexapro is too much for you to handle, ask your doctor if you can try a different medication.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    ive never had any weight gain issues to lexapro, buproprion or anything along those lines.