Vegan advice

Hey, I would appreciate any other vegans to help guide me!! I would love to know what others are eating for complete sources of protein, any yummy recipes, and I could definitely use some advice on getting more calcium. I also crave chocolate and really try to not eat anything that has any added sugars, additives, thickening agents( xanthan gum etc). Anyone wants to add me I would be grateful as I don’t have any vegan friends to discuss all this. Thx!!!!!!

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2018
    You can combine a grain with a legume. Ex: Rice or pasta and beans, quinoa and beans or lentils (or both). Soy is a complete protein.
    For some calcium sources, most plant-based milks are fortified with calcium. Tofu, and dark leafy greens (collard greens, kale, spinach).
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Thx, I recently gave tofu another chance I read for tofu beginners to get super firm and I’m guessing it’s all about the seasoning bc it was actually good. I would really like to get some good recipes for collard greens. Never had that but has lots of calcium/nutrients. Wonder if I can make make kale/collard chips? I do eat beans but don’t do pasta anymore. Thx for the suggestions
  • amyjoan1
    Also want to find a protein drink that has no additives and thickening agents. Not easy to find. Probably better off just eating chia and hemp and the actual seed/ food source
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2018
    amyjoan1 wrote: »
    Thx, I recently gave tofu another chance I read for tofu beginners to get super firm and I’m guessing it’s all about the seasoning bc it was actually good. I would really like to get some good recipes for collard greens. Never had that but has lots of calcium/nutrients. Wonder if I can make make kale/collard chips? I do eat beans but don’t do pasta anymore. Thx for the suggestions

You can use collard greens in soup, and you can use them to make a wrap like you would use a tortilla. Google "vegan collard greens wrap" and experiment.
    Here's one: https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-collard-green-burritos/
    If making walnut "meat" is too much work, I'm sure you can just get vegan ground "beef" and use that.
  • amyjoan1
    Thx for the help! I definitely think there is a reason also I crave chocolate besides just liking it! And also I didn’t even know you can eat collard greens w out being cooked! See there’s still so much to learn but i love it and find it fun checking out new foods that are clean & healthy. Thx
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but a lot of my cooking tends to be vegan. Mostly, I get my protein from tofu and tempeh, plus processed stuff like Gardein, Sol, or Yves. I sometimes make my own seitan. Quinoa now and then.
  • amyjoan1
    So I’m assuming I don’t necessarily need a protein shake since I am eating tofu, chia, mostly all greens, seeds. Unless anyone has found one without any unhealthy additives. Any one eat rubhard?( not sure how to spell it). Would like to hear about that one!! Also any thoughts on frozen veggies compared to fresh? Obviously a difference but still nutritious?!!!! Thx
  • amyjoan1
    Also calcium for my kidneys I was told is important since I’ve had stones in the past and my old nutritionist said not to over due the vitamin C wich I get a lot of from all the veggies! I know it’s finding balance also.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    So I’m assuming I don’t necessarily need a protein shake since I am eating tofu, chia, mostly all greens, seeds. Unless anyone has found one without any unhealthy additives. Any one eat rubhard?( not sure how to spell it). Would like to hear about that one!! Also any thoughts on frozen veggies compared to fresh? Obviously a difference but still nutritious?!!!! Thx

Nobody *needs* a protein shake, but they can be helpful for people who want to boost their protein intake. We don't know how much protein you're getting now. I'm not sure what additives you consider unhealthy, but I can't imagine that you would have problems finding something to use. Are you in the US? Why not just buy some plain brown rice, hemp, soy, or hemp protein? You can mix it with whatever you'd like to add flavor. Two brands I've personally used are Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein and Now Sprouted Brown Rice Protein.

I've eaten rhubarb. It's a very tart vegetable with a texture kind of like celery. Most people eat it in desserts (like strawberry rhubarb pie), but you can also roast it or puree it for soups (I would personally recommend mixing it with other vegetables like carrots).

Frozen vegetables are usually much cheaper than fresh ones and -- since they're processed immediately after picking -- they can have even more nutrients than their fresh counterparts (since they have to travel to the grocery store and then sit there until somebody buys them).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    For Chocolate cravings, I like the Blue Diamond Chocolate Almonds. Not totally as clean as you're probably wanting but really close (4g of sugar). Also, I've found chocolate roasted chickpeas. Just dark chocolate like Green and Black is vegan. SunWarrior is fairly clean for a protein powder. Depends on what your definition is of no fillers, junk. Vegan protein drinks with non-dairy milks are great for chocolate/sweet cravings too.

I'm not Vegan but try to eat vegan at least three/four days a week. We eat very little animal products.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Thx, I recently gave tofu another chance I read for tofu beginners to get super firm and I’m guessing it’s all about the seasoning bc it was actually good. I would really like to get some good recipes for collard greens. Never had that but has lots of calcium/nutrients. Wonder if I can make make kale/collard chips? I do eat beans but don't do pasta anymore. Thx for the suggestions

Consider pea, chickpea, lentil or soy pasta instead of regular flour-based pasta, if you're trying to avoid the latter. Most brands of legume-based pastas just legumes as their single ingredient, and they're substantially higher in protein than standard pasta.

I find the black bean & soy pastas to have a different texture than normal pasta - a little chewy - so I don't enjoy those in Italian-esque tomato sauces or cheese-like sauces (y'know, nutritional yeast or nut-cheese things - I get that you've vegan). I do enjoy those in pseudo-Asian dishes, though. A special favorite, high in protein, is soy spaghetti and veggies in peanut sauce made with peanut powder, soy sauce, rice vinegar and seasonings of choice (such as Szechuan pepper, chile sauce, minced garlic, chopped green onions, fresh grated ginger, or that sort of thing - not all of them at once, of course!).

Some of the chickpea/pea/lentil pasta brands have a texture more like regular pasta, so I like those fine with tomato sauces. It pays to experiment.

Of course, these are only as complete a protein as the legumes they're sourced from. You can complement them as you would the same type oof beans, for a more well-rounded amino acid profile.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Bake some tofu. It's easy and cheap.

https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/basic-baked-tofu/

Get a bottle of marinade (I use the brand Soy Vay). Cut tofu into slices and let it marinate in a baking dish for about 20 min on each side. Then it's ready to bake as instructed in the link. Wish I did this sooner... saves a lot of money.
  • fruitypoison
    fruitypoison Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi! I’m mostly vegan as I’m currently pregnant and have added a little dairy and eggs. Some complete protein sources I use are: hemp seed ; pumpkin seed; Quinoa, Ezekiel Bread , soy, and the combination of beans and rice. A lot of people are afraid of seeds but I found it highly useful for me getting pregnant this time around, particularly flaxseed. I was on a omnivorous diet the first time trying to get pregnant and it took me 3 years to conceive. Second time around, being on a vegan diet, I conceived my very first try. A vegan diet really helped stabilize my hormones. Good luck with your vegan diet, it’s totally worth it!