Ditching the scales? How can I make this work

Hello,
After years and years of trying and failing I have decided I am ready to try again! With a difference. My scales broke a long time ago and I have decided not to replace them.

The scales do more harm to me than good and I have never tried to do this without them before.
I am going to log in and track every day and just try to complete my goals and go by what I feel and see in the mirror/clothes fitting.

Anyone have any other recommendations of how to track? Or see any possible bumps in the road without weighing? Any else not weighing in?

I know from previously experience how my body changes so I will be able to tell when it is working. I just don’t want the number on the scale setting me back.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I don't own a scale; I go by how my clothes fit.
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Yes I think the tape measure might also affect me in the same way. I have a very unhealthy attitude to “dieting”. If I track weight then I tend to fall off the wagon because I am just heading to a certain weight rather than focusing on changing my life. I feel that if I do it until I’m happy with how I look and feel, rather than what a scale says, then I might be more successful.

I find that the scales are a food trigger (whether good or bad results). So I just feel I would do better without them.

Perhaps I’m totally wrong but I just need a healthier mindset.
  • lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    I also think it would be beneficial to assess monthly rather than weekly. Weekly goals are too short for me, I need to think about it in the long term. I think I might weigh in a month at my mums, if I feel that the result won’t affect me negatively!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    I weight monthly and I measure monthly- I'll occasionally pop and the scales mind month but what I've done is set a date (13th every month) and I stick to that. But having the scales at someone else's house is also a good idea!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    There are loads of ways to track your progress that doesn't involve using scales. Measurements, clothe size, the mirror, feel, etc.

You will probably have to weigh in a least periodically though as MFP uses your weight to calculate your calorie target for a week and this will change as you get smaller.

G'luck
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    You could take measurements monthly -- that's going to give you more useful data than every week, especially if you're female and dealing with hormone fluctuations/menstruation.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Goal clothing works really well for me.
    When I joined the gym 3.5 months back I decided to treat myself. I bought 3 skirts - one that fit me nicely at the time (because I want to love an honor my body), one that was a wrap skirt so it would change with me (to honor the process) and the last that was about a size and a half too small (to reward my journey) you'll see the difference in how these things fit over time, without it being specifically about number on the scale weight.
    I do also like to track my measurements,but o ly do every 6 weeks or so.
    I used to weigh myself every Sunday morning, religiously. It motivated me at the time but now I just want to feel better in my body.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    edited September 2018
    Personally I would overwhelm myself with daily weighing till I realized that weight varies for reasons beyond fat change and the trend is what's important.

And the PROCESS is even more important than the results. It sounds like you may have certain predispositions that may make restriction with large deficits more dangerous than it is for other people.

I would set careful goals and concentrate on the process ans heading in a neutral or good directiin as opposed to results.

When I was losing 0.25lbs a week, so about 2lbs a month, consistently, it felt like nothing was happening. And multiple times the scale was higher on a 30 day sample interval even though the weight loss had taken place. As a non vigorously exercising male: No TOM, no hurting muscles both of which introduce variations.

So, personal opinion, is either desensitize yourself or chose something totally different like appropriately chosen clothing and an attitude that as long as things are not appreciably worse then you're winning.

Once a month of any type of measurement runs the risk of lots of drama based on suspect measurement due to the small sampling size or difficulty in getting accurate measurements (where exactly is your waist and how much air is in your lungs at measurement time?)
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Using my clothes is the most encouraging.

w5oreeerth69.jpeg