Keto & Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi guys I’m looking for answers in relation to Keto and IF. Starting 16:8 and wondering what others do? Do you have coffee in the morning still? Does it break fast if you have cream in coffee or bulletproof coffee?
Did you see results after incorporating fasting and did you feel better overall?

Thanks 😊

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. I did IF for a little while and have started KETO as well. I've been doing it a very short time, but the two programs do seem to compliment each other - easier to do IF when your blood sugar levels aren't bouncing all over the place. I find personally that KETO WOE is more satiating so the fasting window is easier to stick to.

Something I hear a lot in IF is that a beverage under 50 cal allow you to stay in a fasted state. I dont know the science of that, or if there is any, but many experienced IFers will tell you they have a coffee in the am. From a weight loss perspective it won't make a difference of course - those 50 cal go towards your daily total like anything else. I would say experiment a bit. Some find even those small amount of calories gets their system going and triggers hunger earlier, making IF more difficult. Others find it makes no difference.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I personally have my coffee with Stevia and a bit of Coconut Milk Creamer. My whole cup of coffee is maybe 30 calories. According to the purists I'm breaking my fast, but I really don't care. I'm not hungry in the morning regardless, and I'm losing weight just fine.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I personally have my coffee with Stevia and a bit of Coconut Milk Creamer. My whole cup of coffee is maybe 30 calories. According to the purists I'm breaking my fast, but I really don't care. I'm not hungry in the morning regardless, and I'm losing weight just fine.
    Makes total sense to me. IF is a tool to reduce your caloric input, so if you are adding some coffee creamer outside of your 16:8, so what? The fasting police won't knock the door down.
  • Candyjina
    Candyjina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto for 1 week and have lost 5 pounds. Which is amazing for me. Breakfast 8am I have two 8oz water in the morning with lemon. Then Coffee with 1 tbsp of MCT oil, 1 tbsp heavy cream, 2 tbsp of half and half. Lunch around 1pm or 2pm I have a 4 cup salad (arugula, kale, watercress, cucumber, carrot, celery) olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, mustard for dressing. Top with avocado, pumpkin seed and chia seeds. Dinner is around 7pm protein and 2 cups of vegetables. In between meals and after dinner I'm drinking water. I feel great, lots of energy, sleeping well, thinking clearly.
    Fat 70%, Protein 20%, Carb 10%.
  • jmsouth4
    jmsouth4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto since July 1st this year. I started 16/8 IF Mon-Thurs last week and this week just to shake things up. In the morning I have two large cups of Oolong tea with 2 Stevia In the Raw packets, lunch at 1ish. Around 12-15 cups of water thoughout entire day. Still waiting for results on the IF.
    Last I checked (on a "no scale" challenge right now) I had lost around 6 lbs by mid August. Feeling stuck and frustrated. Not gaining tho, so there's that. My biggest downfall is I don't log, I gauge and guess my macros, too lazy to log. Pretty lame I suppose. I don't touch any foods not Keto approved. I very much enjoy this WOE, even cooking for the family, I cook my way and they eat it if they choose to, so it's easy to do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Candyjina wrote: »
    I've been on Keto for 1 week and have lost 5 pounds. Which is amazing for me. Breakfast 8am I have two 8oz water in the morning with lemon. Then Coffee with 1 tbsp of MCT oil, 1 tbsp heavy cream, 2 tbsp of half and half. Lunch around 1pm or 2pm I have a 4 cup salad (arugula, kale, watercress, cucumber, carrot, celery) olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, mustard for dressing. Top with avocado, pumpkin seed and chia seeds. Dinner is around 7pm protein and 2 cups of vegetables. In between meals and after dinner I'm drinking water. I feel great, lots of energy, sleeping well, thinking clearly.
    Fat 70%, Protein 20%, Carb 10%.
    You have lost weight because you have been eating less.
    Most of the weight is the sheer weight of food in your system.
    I can see in my crystal bowl that you won't feel great on this scheme very long. And then you'll feel like sh|t, suddenly, not knowing what hit you. Be careful if your go-to comfort for when you feel like sh|t, is food.
    IF is just a set of several arbitrary "feeding windows". While eating regular meals is generally a god idea, and the basic premise buried behind all the woo, you're not following any of the IF "protocols".