Exercise Bike Recommendations

Basically, after doing a cleanish bulk I am looking to drop by body fat and getted shredded! I am currently around 12-15% body fat and don't have time during my workouts at the gym to add cardio. I considered a treadmill but my knees are completely shot after various injuries. My Physiotherapist recommended that I start cycling to improve the muscles around my knees after an injury a while back so I am going to by one.

I want to use the bike for a HIT, so for example 2 minutes normal paced/low resistance, 45 seconds sprinting/high resistance. My Dad also wants to use it just to burn fat as he is about 15 stones so he said he will pay half and half with me.

I am unsure whether an upright exercise bike or a spinning bike would be better. But this one is looking good to me Tunturi Cardio Fit X-Bike
My budget is 300.

Thank You

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    Well I was going to suggest a good quality spin bike, but then you said your budget is 300.

Your best choice is to get a smart trainer and bicycle.
    Next is to get a dumb trainer and bicycle.
    Then a good quality spin bike.
    Then, further down the list, are stationary bikes.

Do you have a bicycle?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited September 2018
    Don't go for HIIT - it's a poor calorie burner (despite the hype!), it causes fatigue which may interfere with your lifting (training and recovery), may hurt your knees. For real HIIT (as opposed to just intervals) you would also really need a very stable and sturdy bike - a used gym quality Spinning bike might fit your budget.
    Had a quick look on UK eBay and there's a few such as Star Trac commercial/gym quality used ones around £250

For your goals and knee problems longer duration moderate intensity building up over time to higher intensity steady state would be better and safer IMHO. Be cautious about high resistance / low cadence. If you have knee instability standing cycling requires good form. (Proper cleated cycling shoes help a lot.)

My preference though would be (and is) outdoor cycling.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Check Craigslist for a used Schwinn Airdyne (fanbike)

kx74hiav3d6r.png
  • robertaboone100
    robertaboone100 Posts: 14 Member
    How much money will be added for the spin bike?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2018
    Second for the fanbike. More than you want to spend, but I got a Rogue Echo bike. Fantastic workout. I would as suggested look for a used Airdyne. The added arm motion helps add intensity/calorie burn without extra pressure on your knees.

These type of bikes are used anywhere from the Crossfit games to training facilities of pro teams to senior rehab facilities.

79x16h1tvput.png
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Normally I'd say that comfort on the bike goes a long way, but if you're just looking for shorter duration workouts, then it's less important. IMO, get whatever you can find locally used (craigslist or whatever). You'll get more for your money that way.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    I have a NordicTrack recumbant stationary bike that we bought after my husband had his knee surgery. I like it and use it more than he does.
  • robertaboone100
    robertaboone100 Posts: 14 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Second for the fanbike. More than you want to spend, but I got a Rogue Echo bike. Fantastic workout. I would as suggested look for a used Airdyne. The added arm motion helps add intensity/calorie burn without extra pressure on your knees.

These type of bikes are used anywhere from the Crossfit games to training facilities of pro teams to senior rehab facilities.

79x16h1tvput.png

Just check the specification, literally awesome.
    But cant effort this, I would go for maximum $600. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Definitely don't go cheap. I had an exercising bike and it was killing my legs for a ridiculously small calorie burn. Now I'd much rather walk or use the treadmill.