Breastfeeding Calories

Options
I'm nursing a 7 month old baby almost exclusively (she has about 1/2 jar of baby food per day). I know that I'm supposed to add some calories on for that, but not sure how many, and if it should decrease as she starts to eat more solids. Does anyone out there know?

This is my 5th baby, and I have never been able to lose weight while breastfeeding. I have been watching my diet more than usual and trying to become more active, but I just keep remaining the same weight or gaining in small increments. I feel like I'm the only person who gets fat while nursing rather than thin!

Any advice?

Replies

• ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was never actually told a number for adding calories, but I know I was told by my OB and also read online, after I had my 4yo, that you burn approx 500 calories a day. So I imagine that means you should add 500 calories???
  • emluvcw
    emluvcw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOL I cant lose while b/f either, iam acually weaning my 21 month old....add butter or other veggies or fruits or instant poates to her food.....good luck
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I never added calories on while breastfeeding. Kids were fine. I was fine. Weight stayed the same or went down. Maybe don't add the calories in???
  • w_sanford
    w_sanford Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would say it is around 300-400 cal per day....and especially if you are exclusively. Once you start solids, you will probably be bfing less, meaning your bfing cal expenditure will decrease.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Search it in the exercise logs. It's there!
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's 500 calories just like if you were pregnant. But if your supply starts to decrease add more calories and also try some herbal remidies that can up your supply. I used one that made my sweat and urine smell like maple syrup but for the life of me I can not remember what it was called!!!! I'm sure if you google it you should be able to find it pretty easily. I remember we bought it at GNC!!!
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey! I didn't lose with nursing either, since I thought I had to eat more. Ugh. In any event, you burn about 300 calories a day nursing exclusively. Once you start introducing solids, you burn less accordingly. It works out to being about 20 calories per ounce produced (I read in a few places). I can only suggest that you eat cleanly and stay active, and don't replace the calories you burn nursing. You will start to lose a little at a time that way. I only started losing weight once I started cleaning up my diet (not dieting) and doing killer TurboFire workouts; but any activity is good. Remember to stay hydrated, since water is critical in both producing milk AND weight loss!

Good luck, and be well!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's in the exercise and food databases (in food as negative calories).
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    huh uh! I gained 10 lbs nursing my first and 20 lbs nursing my second!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's 500 calories just like if you were pregnant. But if your supply starts to decrease add more calories and also try some herbal remidies that can up your supply. I used one that made my sweat and urine smell like maple syrup but for the life of me I can not remember what it was called!!!! I'm sure if you google it you should be able to find it pretty easily. I remember we bought it at GNC!!!

Fengreek! :) And ya about 500 extra calories a day if you are nursing pretty much exclusively. Good luck!
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    When my baby was younger I used to add 500 calories. Now that my baby is almost 11 months and eating 3 meals a day I only add 300. I log it in with my food. Just search "nursing".
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm also nursing right now (an eight month old) and had troubles losing weight with both my kids while nursing. But then I joined mfp in the spring of this year and the pounds are just falling off! I don't log breastfeeding so I don't eat those extra cals but I was sure to arrange my account so that I was only set to lose 1 pound per week (I was worried it would affect my milk supply if I ate too few cals so I figured a nice slow weightloss would be good!) - however, I've been averaging 1-2 pounds per week and at the start, I lost a LOT more. I drink a tonne of water and I get a lot of fruits in. I walk twice a week for an hour each and have JUST started back at my gym but that hasn't really contributed to my weightloss yet. I've lost 34 pounds with a goal of 61. keep eating clean, if you don't lose before you stop nursing, at least you know that your baby is getting the most healthy and lean breastmilk around! :wink:

If you run into issues with your milk supply, take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. works like a charm!

not sure if this is helpful, sorry for writing so much!
    good luck!
  • caripta85
    caripta85 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 6.5 month old! I add 500 calories a day! Your body needs those calories to ensure a stable milk supply! Feel free to add me, I would like encouragement from a fellow BFer!
  • clovismom25
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am nursing my 3rd baby, he is 8mos. I can NOT seem to lose the weight! I didnt have anything to lose after my first son was born. But 2 depo shots later I had gained 50lbs. And here I sit, 2 more kids later, 80lbs over weight. I am moving more and cutting back on portion sizes( I need to cut out drpepper too) Hopefully we can do this together!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This is one of those cases where the scale just plain sucks. Focus on your activity, and eating nutritious foods. Your body is doing an AMAZING thing and requires a little more calories than if you were just sitting around.

Your body can get heathier without the scale agreeing.( I nursed for 3 years cumulatively )

:flowerforyou:
  • AmazingStace
    AmazingStace Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Check out kellymom.com

That site says 300-500 calories extra for nursing.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all your insight! Thank you! I do have milk supply issues when I try to "diet," so that is what concerns me. I just started taking fenugreek and will add blessed thistle next time I hit the store.

:happy: