Canned veggies.

Options
I was wondering if anyone still uses can veggies on the daily. I have been batch cooking and I find the veggies get too mushy when I reheat them and peas and some others wilt right up. So I thought canned would be much easier and faster to add to my meals.

Thanks

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Canned vegetables are also going to be mushy for the most part, so it might not help in this situation. Are you using fresh? Maybe frozen would work better.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Would it be realistic to add frozen veggies just before reheating? That way they only cook once.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I agree that frozen are better. I make sure to get the bags with frozen vegetables only; no other seasonings or sauces and they are not only tasty but cost effective. There's such a variety in the frozen section now that it's easy to change up meals regularly.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like roasted fresh ones best. If there are time restraints I will use jared veg, not tinned ones. Imo frozen peas are better for eating than canned, not mushy and taste better?
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm going to chime in and agree with the others that suggest using frozen. I used to use canned veggies all the time for soups and half of them would get mushy after the first re-heat. Once I switched over to frozen, I had much better luck :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Tinned vegetables are only good for camping trips and power outages, IMO.

Frozen for most things, but I buy a lot of fresh vegetables, too. I do have to plan how to use them quickly as I live alone and it seems Nature made most vegetables for two or more servings. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Canned vegetables other than tomatoes and beans? No. I'll cook with frozen vegetables if I can't buy fresh ones - primarily peas or corn.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Canned vegetables other than tomatoes and beans? No. I'll cook with frozen vegetables if I can't buy fresh ones - primarily peas or corn.

Canned baby potatoes are really good too and seem to hold up better in stews and soups. For those dishes, I prefer canned over fresh.

Canned beans, to me, are too salty. I will cook up an entire bag and freeze in 2 cup portions (2 cups is close to 1 can). Almost no sodium in 2 cups of black beans without salt, 1600 mg. in a can already prepared.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I buy canned beans, tomatoes, and corn.. I think that's it. I think most other canned vegetables are too mushy. Green beans are ok I guess.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I rarely use canned, other than tomatoes and beans, like others stated. Frozen peas and green beans, fresh for most veggies. We prefer roasted or grilled fresh veggies. Raw celery, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, pea pods, bell peppers for salads and snacks. You can control the sodium easier. I rinse canned beans, even low sodium to rinse even more sodium. When time allows, I use dried beans.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Are you cooking your fresh veggies too much to start with?
    For broccoli and cauliflower, blanching the veggies will make them stay firm and not mushy even when reheated later.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating canned vegetables. I discovered frozen in college and I've never looked back.

Fresh is best, but I don't use them up fast enough or forget them, etc. Frozen stays almost as good as fresh for almost forever in the freezer.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can my garden stuff. We usually go big on something and try to put away 50 qts of it. Blackeyed peas, tomatoes, green beans, pickles, yummy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I like canned veggies. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

Canned baby potatoes are really good too and seem to hold up better in stews and soups. For those dishes, I prefer canned over fresh.

Canned beans, to me, are too salty. I will cook up an entire bag and freeze in 2 cup portions (2 cups is close to 1 can). Almost no sodium in 2 cups of black beans without salt, 1600 mg. in a can already prepared.

Yeah I almost only buy canned beans when I've realized that I forgot to soak dried beans. I've never seen canned new potatoes though I also haven't gone looking for them. It's really easy to find fresh new potatoes where I live and potatoes store very well so it's never been something I've thought about trying.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I grew up eating canned vegetables. I discovered frozen in college and I've never looked back.

Fresh is best, but I don't use them up fast enough or forget them, etc. Frozen stays almost as good as fresh for almost forever in the freezer.

No no no. Fresh is not always best. In the off season I would rather eat cannot tomatoes, for example, because those are picked ripe in the summer and canned. The flavour in fall and winter is just ZERO. Ditto strawberries and any fruit in the off season.

You are right, I didn't even think about the off season. What would I know, I almost always use frozen anyway (because I hate for stuff to go bad).