Help please can’t get my head round lack of progress

Options
Hi I really am struggling with my weight loss plans, everything checks out yet my weight remains same or a tiny loss. Currently 95kgs started at 107, but stuck for weeks. I do gym 4 or 5 times weekdays a health quest station session twice a week my daily steps usually 10000. I log everything and err on the side of if I’m not sure use the highest number of calories stated I rest at weekends but still keep my step count up. I eat 1500 to 1700 a day well within the suggested levels my calorie deficit weekly 8000 suggests I should shed a kg or more a week. Do I cut back on calories I can’t give much more time to exercise. I’m 66 yoa 5.6 need to loose 20kg help please

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It is harder as we get older but we need to keep at it, do you complete the daily diary, it's easy to underestimate. I have gained due to health but I must keep at it as the alternative is to gain more. Good luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    prowcc1 wrote: »
    Hi I really am struggling with my weight loss plans, everything checks out yet my weight remains same or a tiny loss. Currently 95kgs started at 107, but stuck for weeks. I do gym 4 or 5 times weekdays a health quest station session twice a week my daily steps usually 10000. I log everything and err on the side of if I’m not sure use the highest number of calories stated I rest at weekends but still keep my step count up. I eat 1500 to 1700 a day well within the suggested levels my calorie deficit weekly 8000 suggests I should shed a kg or more a week. Do I cut back on calories I can’t give much more time to exercise. I’m 66 yoa 5.6 need to loose 20kg help please

Are you using a food scale?
    Are you double checking to make sure the entries you are using in the database are accurate?
    How much weight have you lost in the last month?
    How long has it been since you last lost weight?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking food? By measuring by weight? using cups/tsps. If you open up your diary, people can help you target something to work on more easily.
  • prowcc1
    prowcc1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I do the daily diary weight everything, .2 of kg in last week 1kg in month I use Fitbit linked to mfp the numbers seem right, I guess my instinct says cut back to 1200 daily.
    When I complete diary for day it tells me I should be 7kg lighter in 5 weeks. I’m puzzled. Gym is mixture of cardio and weights about 50/50 usually 1.5 to 2 hrs a day.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    my losses have come in spurts, you go sideways for a long time and then it breaks loose. Keep the logging as accurate as possible, perhaps add another walk to your routine. Patience!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy. Keep an eye on your intake.

And, according to your posts, you don’t lack progress. It’s slower than what you would prefer. You don’t say when you started. Look st the entire picture.

And if adjustment is needed, why so radical as a 300-500 calorie per day cut? Why not 100-150 calories as a test?

Patience.
  • climberbry
    climberbry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Research adaptive thermogenesis. Your instinct may be right. And, you might consider increasing your resistance training. Keep at it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A second vote for a food scale if you aren't using one. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're going to need more than 1200 a day if you're 5'6" and working out 4-5x week. I lost 150 lbs at age 59 eating at least 1700. Can you open your diary for review? There are some very skilled people on here who can look at diaries and make suggestions for more accurate logging. It's almost certain that's where the issue is.
  • prowcc1
    prowcc1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments I’ll take them on board and yes I use a food scale.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the number of calories that's 'typical' for a 66 yo who is 5'6 and trying to lose weight. OTOH, you are losing weight at a slow, but reasonable rate (1/2 pound per week over the past month). The charts and tables on weight loss are only so helpful because there is some natural variability from person to person.

The bigger question related to cutting intake is, are you okay at your current intake level and how okay will you be cutting out 25-30% of your current intake? Because if you can't manage the lower level of intake and feel okay about it, it won't work in the long run.