What Time Should You Stop Eating?

Options
i've read many different places not to eat past certain times. But i've seen tons of different times. 7pm, 8 pm, 9pm... I've read that it does make a difference, i've read that it doesn't because you're body is consuming calories either way. I realize that eating later means your body doesnt have as much of a chance to burn it off. So im wondering how much of a difference it makes and what time is ideal to stop eating. I do realize later times are more prone to binging as well, so that has been a reason given. I try to eat every 3 hours so I usually do have a small light snack before bed. Also, I tend to work out often after dinner, so I need a recovery snack. THoughts? Comments? Personal Experience? Thanks!

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You should stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You should stop eating about 3 hours before you go to bed :smile:
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    Is that based on something, or are you guys just pulling a number out of thin air?
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    it does not matter.
    just try to not make it heavy food before bed or you might get some discomfort
  • realitybytez
    Options
    i try to stop eating right around the time i'm full.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    When you're not hungry.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    eating past certain times is another diet myth. eat when you want.

i work third shift and eat breakfast and then go to bed. hasnt bothered me
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Going to bed immediately after a really big meal may increase your chances of indigestion, other than that there's no solid evidence that it makes any difference to digestion or weightloss. A warm drink may help you sleep if you have trouble in that department, a warm shower is good too.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last few about eating whenever you are hungry. If you are hungry and still have calories left, eat regardless of the time. Our stomach doesn't have a time clock and it's best to eat something light then wake up starving in the middle of the night. Good luck to you:)
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've heard all sorts of different things, but it's really an individual thing - whatever works for you.
    For me, I eat a small fiber-filled snack roughly 2 hrs. before bed. 5 - 10 almonds keep my blood sugar going until morning. I'd stay away from carbs. It's really what works for you - test the waters. :smile:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When you run out of calories.

As I like to say on threads posing this question, the body is a 24/7 shop and does not have a clock on the wall. "OMG!! It's 8:31 PM! Send that milk to the thighs!"
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night...its my comfort time :) As long as you make room and leave the calories it really doen'st matter when you eat.

Of course, if you have certain foods that affect your sleep, I would avoid them. You know, like drinking a pot of espresso before bed :)

I tried to avoid high carb snacks before bed...so usually it is some greek yogurt, string cheese, jerky etc.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Nutrition-wise, doesn't matter. On most days I eat within about 15 minutes of hitting my bed.

For some, eating before bed causes indigestion. That's a different story.

For some, eating at night means eating a bunch of junk food. That's a different story.

For losing weight, or whatever your goal, meal timing matters little, if at all.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

If this was true I would either never eat dinner or shouldn't have lost any weight! Luckily my body isn't aware of this myth so I have managed to lose over 40 pounds in spite of eating at whatever time suits my schedule each day. Sometimes I eat something just before bed!

My opinion is that you need to find a schedule that works for you.
    - If you tend to binge in the evenings and having a cut off time helps stop that, then it's a good idea.
    - if It's because you are worried that you body can't digest food while you're sleeping - don't worry, it is prety clever and can do lots of things at once. For me this is not a valid reason to have a fixed cut off time.
    - if you are uncomfortable going to sleep on a full stomach, then eat earlier or sleep later.

Do what works for you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

As I like to say on threads posing this question, the body is a 24/7 shop and does not have a clock on the wall. "OMG!! It's 8:31 PM! Send that milk to the thighs!"

Hehehehe, I like this :)
  • av21519911611
    Options
    I've been to a few different doctors and nutritionists and have gotten all different times as well. I've tried them all and what i've found works best for me is not eating after 7pm even if it is a very healthy snack. Which is about 4 hours before I go to bed. Whatever you do you should stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i try to stop eating right around the time i'm full.

This. Yes. :laugh:

Seriously, though, I'd say eat when you're hungry. Personally, if I try and go to bed hungry, I toss & turn & can't get to sleep 'cause I'm uncomfortable.

But with that said: do pay attention to *what* you're eating. Carbs and sugar provide instant bursts of energy, great for during the day while you're active, especially right before a workout. But if you eat them right before bed, they'll either keep you awake, or you won't burn them all and they may end up being stored as fat instead of used as energy. So if you must eat right before bed, make it something with protein instead of carbs. Protein digests more slowly, and provides steady, slow-burning energy. So it can be used all through the night to sustain your basic metabolism while you sleep.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Haha *like*
  • realitybytez
    Options

If this was true I would either never eat dinner or shouldn't have lost any weight! Luckily my body isn't aware of this myth so I have managed to lose over 40 pounds in spite of eating at whatever time suits my schedule each day. Sometimes I eat something just before bed!...

my poor wife would starve to death. she works all day and rarely gets a break for lunch. she almost always comes home and eats right before going to bed. unlike me, she doesn't have a weight problem.
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the input! helps a lot. :)