starting over

Options
birgitwebster
birgitwebster Posts: 64 Member
edited September 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi. I am once again starting over... looking for like minded people.
I am 49 years old, have 2 adult daughters, a husband and a dog.
I re-committed yesterday. starting out at 193.4 pounds.

Replies

• kellermausi
    kellermausi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm also 49 and need some inspiration and occasional nudges to keep on track. Just started tracking again today. The cooler weather should help with the outdoor walks as well!
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    day 2. weighed in at 190.8 this morning which was vety motivating. steps came in short at only 7,940 yesterday. should be hitting my 10,000 step goal today though. temperatures dropped drastically, seems like fall appeared overnight... looking forward to my lunchtime walk in a bit. treadmill tonight after work. wishing every one a great day!
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    my main goals are 10,000 + steps a day, logging my food and staying at about 1,500 calories.
  • shiley393
    shiley393 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Starting over again myself. 56 years old and tired of this weight issue. Have a good day!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    my main goals are 10,000 + steps a day, logging my food and staying at about 1,500 calories.

That is the smart way to do it - I was able to lose consistently and easily at that caloric amount and I wasn't too miserable. I also lowered my carb intake to about 100 g and sugar to 50 g most days and it seemed to help keep me from craving sugar.

A great website for nutritional guidance that isn't from the USDA is: https://www.westonaprice.org/

It is run by nutritionists (Sally Fallon and Mary Eing started the website) that promote "traditional diets" and "clean eating".

One section speaks to traditional diets:
    1. The diets of healthy indigenous and nonindustrialized peoples contain no refined or denatured foods such as refined sugar or corn syrup; white flour; canned foods; pasteurized, homogenized, skim or low-fat milk; refined or hydrogenated vegetable oils; protein powders; artificial vitamins or toxic additives and colorings.
    2. All traditional cultures consume some sort of animal protein and fat from fish and other seafood; water and land fowl; land animals; eggs; milk and milk products; reptiles; and insects.
    3. Indigenous diets contain at least four times the calcium and other minerals and ten times the fat soluble vitamins from animal fats (vitamin A, vitamin D and the Price Factor–now believed to be vitamin K2) as the average American diet.
    4. In all traditional cultures, some animal products are eaten raw.
    5. Indigenous and traditional diets have a high food-enzyme content from raw dairy products, raw meat and fish; raw honey; tropical fruits; cold-pressed oils; wine and unpasteurized beer; and naturally preserved, lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages, meats and condiments.
    6. Seeds, grains and nuts are soaked, sprouted, fermented or naturally leavened in order to neutralize naturally occuring antinutrients in these foods, such as phytic acid, enzyme inhibitors, tannins and complex carbohydrates.
    7. Total fat content of traditional diets varies from 30% to 80% but only about 4% of calories come from polyunsaturated oils naturally occurring in grains, pulses, nuts, fish, animal fats and vegetables. The balance of fat calories is in the form of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids.
    8. Traditional diets contain nearly equal amounts of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids.
    9. All indigenous diets contain some salt.
    10. Traditional cultures consume animal bones, usually in the form of gelatin-rich bone broths.
    11. Traditional cultures make provisions for the health of future generations by providing special nutrient-rich foods for parents-to-be, pregnant women and growing children; by proper spacing of children; and by teaching the principles of right diet to the young.
  • birgitwebster
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thanks Sunna. that's quite interesting.

having been on just about every diet wagon there is I've taken a little from everywhere.

I stick to mostly clean eating. cook from scratch 90% of the time. switched from wheat to spelt a long time ago. and things like white sugar, flour, bread, or rice went out the window a long time ago.
    while I love veggies I have a hard time eating fruits and find I have to be in the mood for them and therefore often fall short.
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    day 3. no change in weight but i feel good. put in almost 100 minutes of exercise yesterday. long brisk lunchtime walk, a leisurely stroll with the dog and a half hour on the treadmill. logged all my food and stayed under my calories. finished eating by 8 pm. feeling great!
    hope you all have a great day!
  • birgitwebster
    edited September 2018
    Options
    day 4. down another. 8... not much, but hey that's 3.2 pounds this week! this is what keeps me motivated... yesterday my grandpa turned 99... ponder that for a minute... that's almost a century! he never ate particularly healthy nor exercised and yet here he is, healthy as a horse - a little fragile maybe - but sound in body, mind, and spirit.... #lifegoals
    other than that I logged my food, walked at lunch and 30 min on the treadmill ... uneventful.
    today I skipped my lunchtime walk and went out to eat instead... so ill be doing double time on the treadmill instead.
    Have a great day everyone!
  • KLCruz88
    KLCruz88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You got this Missy!!! Keep up the work and I'll keep you motivated in the step department!
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    thanks KayDee. think I am coming down with something though... feeling like doo doo... just fixed some Theraflu hoping that'll do the trick. hubby's been sick the last couple of days. it was only a matter of time for his sick germs to find me. 😖😩
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    we'll, and just like that it's Tuesday. was a little bummed because my weight was back up to 191.4 on saturday and has not budged at all... I got a lot of steps and did a lot of walking and dancing over the weekend but I also did not track my food and drink... oh well... thank God for new chances. am back to logging all my food and getting my 30 min lunchtime walk and another 30 min on the treadmill. this October I will be accountable... and will see a difference. better grab my umbrella and head out for my walk. happy Tuesday all.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Good thread. Hoping you keep this going.

What I read here is logging, walking, and 2 lb loss for the week. A successful week.
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Good thread. Hoping you keep this going.

What I read here is logging, walking, and 2 lb loss for the week. A successful week.

Thanks. :)
  • birgitwebster
    Options
    so my goal is to be accountable for my actions on my journey to become healthy while still having fun. boy - that's a mouthful... lol... my thought is that I am too old to let opportunities get past me or to miss out on parties and events "because I'm on a diet"... that said... I attended a 50th birthday party for a friend tonight... what you need to know is that we currently live in Germany and people here know how to party! it is 3:30 am; I just got home! there was a lot of food... I thought I'd pick something light.... no chance.... the choices were lasagne, canelloni, scalloped potatoes, veal parmigian... you get the picture.... there was also a significant amount of alcohol .... but I ate and drank and logged it all... made it to more than 2,500 calories... but the DJ was great and I danced most of the night thus burning at least some of the extra calories... point is I had fun, I logged all i ate and drank, moved (danced) a lot, and feel not the least bit guilty. tomorrow (or actually today) is a new day. good night all.
  • lu1942
    lu1942 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all!!! Good luck on your journeys, together we can all achieve our goals❤️ xxx
  • birgitwebster
    edited October 2018
    Options
    so today was a holiday here in Germany which allowed me to stay put late last night... my party ordeal, however, reflected as 193.4 on the scale this morning. I look at this as a minor setback, though... today was kind of difficult to track... got up early, started prepping lunch (as the big meal of the day), met my bff for breakfast and a walk, had mom and dad over for lunch (I skipped dessert though), and took my daughter to a euro cup basketball game... game snack being coke and popcorn...
    all in all though, I came in at just under 1,500 calories and about 16,500 steps... let's see what tomorrow brings. Happy hump day!!

what do you call a camel with no humps?
    - Humphrey :D:D