I am constipated and have no clue as to why

Options
I eat tons of fruit for example yesterday I had 2 white peaches, a large apple, a nectarine and a yellow peach and tons of watermelon grapes and strawberries. My fiber is in check and magnesium I get from fruit. I eat tons of kimchi and saukerat so probiotics check. I drink nearly a gallon of water a day + water from fruit so hydration check. I do however remember seeing that low fat diets cause constipation so I tried eating an egg but still no use. Any ideas? I eat very voluminous meals and so it's frustrating when you're constantly bloated and heavy 24/7

Replies

• PlasticGains
    PlasticGains Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    1 egg is probably not enough fat. Start incorporating good fats from avocados, olive oil, fish, etc.

How many grams of fat should I eat based on a 2400 calorie diet or what percent?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    1 egg is probably not enough fat. Start incorporating good fats from avocados, olive oil, fish, etc.

How many grams of fat should I eat based on a 2400 calorie diet or what percent?

Approximately 0.35 to 0.45 grams of fat for every pound at goal weight. If your goal weight is 200 lbs (random number), that would be 70-90 grams of fat.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Try cranraisins and raw no oil sun dried tomatoes out of the package.
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Try cranraisins and raw no oil sun dried tomatoes out of the package.

I tried prunes already and I only dropped a feathers worth
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    How long have you been constipated? And have you been eating the same amount of fiber the whole time? If you've increased your fiber intake, that can also cause constipation and bloating. The body can take time to adjust to a large amount of fiber.

If you have long term constipation with no clear dietary reason for it, then it's worth a trip to the doctor to rule out other causes of constipation.

I eat maybe 8-10 servings of fruit a day and lots of veggies so it's pretty common to be TEMPORARILY bloated but constipation extends it
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    arobey11 wrote: »
    From your post, it isn't clear whether you added an egg to your usual daily routine, or you ate an egg once and expected that to make you suddenly feel more regular. Since your diary isn't open, I can't see what your fat/protein/fiber ratios are. However, for me, if I don't keep my fiber, fat, and protein somewhat balanced (I aim for exceeding my protein goals, while still hitting my fiber goals and then fill in the rest with fats), I can have all sorts of bowel issues from one end of the spectrum to the other (thanks, IBS). Another thing that helps me TREMENDOUSLY with regularity is exercise. Even taking a walk can help sometimes.

How do you open your diary
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    more fats will help with that issue.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Try prune juice mixed with apple juice. (That is what my mother a nurse would give the patients at the hospital back in the day.)
    Seriously, try cranraisins and the no oil sun dried tomatoes.

• PlasticGains
    Options
    Update: I looked over my diet and I do get considerable amounts of fat: tofu eggs almond milk, meat fat, oil when cooking etc..
  • PlasticGains
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Try prune juice mixed with apple juice. (That is what my mother a nurse used to give the patients at the hospital back in the day.)
    Seriously, try cranraisins and the no oil sun dried tomatoes.

Will do
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Eating one egg isn't going to fix the fat issue and the constipation. You need to *consistently* eat *more* foods with fat in them. Salmon, avocado, etc.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Increase fiber and fat to your diet gradually. I experience the same issue every time I implement a caloric deficit. A serving a prunes/day helps, as does bran or any other high fiber food.

Just don't over compensate and give your body time to adjust. It takes ~50 hours to fully process food from intake to void.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Are you stressed? Are you getting enough sleep?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Update: I looked over my diet and I do get considerable amounts of fat: tofu eggs almond milk, meat fat, oil when cooking etc..

But how many grams per day?
    and, how much do you weigh?
    aim for a minimum of 0.35 grams per lb of body weight per day. So if you are 200 lbs a minimum of 70 grams per day