Article on Willpower

Options
This article from the NYT Magazine was fascinating -- it's on willpower, and on page 5 particularly discusses the relationship between glucose, willpower, and dieting -- and why that connection makes losing weight especially difficult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimes

Replies

• tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    omg really..

sugar = energy
    for some people sugar = hyperactivity..its not some special super science
  • McSnoozle
    McSnoozle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link --- great article.
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    Interesting find, thanks for sharing! :)
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article link - thank you. And I thought my problem was about energy levels in my job (where I am the everything - boss and worker and financial controller etc). This makes so much sense and I'll be thinking about those strategies to help myself.
    I love this site.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article link - thank you. And I thought my problem was about energy levels in my job (where I am the everything - boss and worker and financial controller etc). This makes so much sense and I'll be thinking about those strategies to help myself.
    I love this site.

Yeah, I was surprised by the link between willpower and glucose. I'm trying to come up with some <100 calorie snacks that I can have when I start to flag. Today I had a slice of toast with a pat of butter. I figure that's got some fat, some simple carbs, and should give me a quick pick me up that lasts longer than sugar.
  • withawhim
    Options
    Interesting. I'm aware of when my body hits the FEED US A SNACK OR WATCH YOUR BRAIN DIE stage, but I guess not everyone is?
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm aware of when my body hits the FEED US A SNACK OR WATCH YOUR BRAIN DIE stage, but I guess not everyone is?

I always kind of figured it was just an Evile Food Craving that had nothing to do with actual hunger.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As the "person in charge" making a million little decisions all day, everyday I totally get this. Makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing. That was a very informative article.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.