Alpha Females

Options
I was just reading another post here that was asking for Ladybosses, and like many others that read it I got excited that there was a post for take charge type women. Sadly it ended up being a post about a weightloss gimmick called Ladyboss. However, the interest everyone showed towards having a thread for alpha females made me decide to post this. This is for those take charge types that are the boss at home and/or work that would like to connect with other like minded women here. Please introduce yourself and feel free to add anyone who posts as a friend.

Replies

• natsrobinson88
    natsrobinson88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel I fit into the category and I must say that is a nice category to squeeze into. I am a divorce mother of 1, I own my own home, am self employed, have my own car and money. I cook, I clean I take my son to school, I go swimming for a swimming club, take my son to swimming lessons (with the same club but at different times to when I swim)... Go Ladybosses!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Being a boss of others is too much hassle and responsibility, and I don't like to bind myself in that way. Autonomy is too important to me. I also have no interest in being labeled a lady boss, it just doesn't mean anything to me. Does that make me an "alpha female" in a way because I demand full control over my life choices, or am I a "beta female" because I don't mind when others take charge of things that don't have a direct impact on me? Either way, I like it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Ladyboss makes me laugh. Sounds like a clothing line for women wanting to progress in the business world. I see cheap suits

I've been told I'm an alpha. Everything I participate in ends up with people gravitating to me and my taking control. I like to think it's because I'm kind and caring. But I think it's more I don't mince words.

I think being alpha is more than being a boss. I was never a boss at work but the bossed knew I was not to be messed with. :)
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am also curious what constitutes an alpha female? I am a take-charge wife and mother. I get *kitten* done. I bring home the bacon and cook it. I lift weights/do crossfit. But at work, I do not enjoy being the boss. I love data and number crunching. I interact with people but am not in charge of anyone and I prefer it that way. Being a manager deals with too much employee drama.
  • orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm working on becoming the boss of my life. For a long time, I let the excuses rule what I did. Everyone thought I had my life all together but that was so far from the truth. The reality was that I didn't care about my T1 diabetes or my health in general because it was too hard and I loved food too much. Now, I am getting closer to being in charge of my situation. My primary job is a high school special education case manager (a recent switch from 12 years as an English teacher), I also work part time at Target and run events at a comic and game store. On top of my work commitments, I go to the gym four times a week and exercise at home on top of it. I'm not a mom to kids, but I love my fur babies and have a great relationship with my husband. I'd LOVE to connect with like-minded ladies!
  • SolanineNightshade
    Options
    I looked at it more as someone actively going after their goals. Yes, it can apply to men, but women often face different challenges as a whole. I am taking charge of my life - working on finding a new job, writing a novel, getting more publications and speaking engagements, volunteering, working out etc. I like being a go-getter for me.
  • RebelAnneDoll
    RebelAnneDoll Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The use of alpha female is related to some psychological studies from the early 2000s. It is women who are independent, self-confident, and highly motivated. If you feel this describes you then you are in the right place.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions. What proportion of women could be described as an 'alpha woman'? If someone isn't an alpha woman, what is the correct term for them?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

This alpha/beta thing is kinda nonsense...
    Categorising humans based on wolf pack behaviour.

Categorising wolf behaviour based on observations of small captive populations which don't reflect natural social dynamics at all.

It's nonsense all the way down!

Yes, I just read something recently about how the alpha/beta wolf pack thing was all based on bad data.
    The 'alpha' wolves were the parents of the 'beta' wolves.
    The researchers misunderstood family dynamics..
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »

This alpha/beta thing is kinda nonsense...
    Categorising humans based on wolf pack behaviour.

Categorising wolf behaviour based on observations of small captive populations which don't reflect natural social dynamics at all.

It's nonsense all the way down!

Yes, I just read something recently about how the alpha/beta wolf pack thing was all based on bad data.
    The 'alpha' wolves were the parents of the 'beta' wolves.
    The researchers misunderstood family dynamics..

You just cracked the foundation of hundreds of YA werewolf fantasy novels. Shame on you :D

Popular psychology has a tendency to box people into groups according to specific personality traits, then sell books explaining what's right and wrong with each type. I kind of look at that with the same skeptical eye I use for diet books based on physical traits.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Alpha? Nah, am I a strong woman? Absolutely! From childhood abuse, rape, violent men, a world of “you only matter if you fit in this magical box, that we will then weigh and grade you on”. I have live through drug addiction (parents and siblings) I have overcome obesity and the strongholds of a poverty driven upbringing. I think alpha is the wrong word. We are overcomers, fighters, warriors....we have worked for who we are, I think alpha female is fine, but I’m probably not her.

I admire women like you.
  • divalynnea
    divalynnea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have been through various awful situations that have caused us to struggle with being in control of some aspects of our lives. Alpha, boss, take-charge, strong or whatever you want to call it is something many of us have fought to achieve in one way or another. Whether fighting that corporate glass ceiling, trying to prove your work is as good of better than male counterparts or taking charge of health issues, many strong women I know would be glad to be "labeled" boss. It's a term of reverence that's usually hard earned.