Stormy fall color in the high North Cascades (hiking pics)

Options
Sunday had the better forecast last weekend, so I got up before the sun and drove 300 miles (round trip) for a day hike. I really didn’t have a choice in the matter, “the mountains are calling and I must go.” Well … weathermen lie. I expected blue skies and sunshine, but dark clouds hung over the horizon, and I arrived at a socked in trailhead. It was 40 F when I parked my car at Rainy Pass, and got colder as I hiked up the trail. It snowed on me for hours. It was a delight to be in falling snow.

A lot of people call the Heather / Maple Pass loop “the best ridge walk in the state.” I can’t say personally because I haven’t done Copper Ridge yet, but Heather and Maple are spectacular. There’s a section as you come off the hogsback where the ridge is 15 feet wide, you can look 500 feet down to Ann Lake on the left and 1,500 feet down to Rainy Lake on the right. It’s exhilarating. With clear skies, you can see countless peaks in every direction, even Glacier to the south. None of those views were on offer. Instead, it was more like a journey through the spirit world. A few sucker holes opened up in the clouds, and revealed some glimpses of the surrounding peaks, which really made a couple of these pictures sing.

Elevation ranged from 4,855 to 7,100 feet or so.

The clouds could not have been more perfect in this one.

44017627955_f3a6d6899f_o_d.jpg

The meadows were spectacular.

44880091272_1ff21c7081_o_d.jpg

Rainy Lake. You can see the road in this one, too.

44880091582_b368863437_o_d.jpg

This one isn’t as great as the others, but the color was amazing, and the fog added a sense of mystery to the place.

44017627755_016076d30f_o_d.jpg

These last two are pretty similar, I just couldn’t choose between them.

44017627365_eacf0282ff_o_d.jpg

44880091042_9a451fdf5d_o_d.jpg

Replies

• hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So envious. Love the North West! Thanks for sharing. Sure differs from my walks in Indiana. : (
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Sunday had the better forecast last weekend, so I got up before the sun and drove 300 miles (round trip) for a day hike. I really didn’t have a choice in the matter, “the mountains are calling and I must go.” Well … weathermen lie. I expected blue skies and sunshine, but dark clouds hung over the horizon, and I arrived at a socked in trailhead. It was 40 F when I parked my car at Rainy Pass, and got colder as I hiked up the trail. It snowed on me for hours. It was a delight to be in falling snow.

A lot of people call the Heather / Maple Pass loop “the best ridge walk in the state.” I can’t say personally because I haven’t done Copper Ridge yet, but Heather and Maple are spectacular. There’s a section as you come off the hogsback where the ridge is 15 feet wide, you can look 500 feet down to Ann Lake on the left and 1,500 feet down to Rainy Lake on the right. It’s exhilarating. With clear skies, you can see countless peaks in every direction, even Glacier to the south. None of those views were on offer. Instead, it was more like a journey through the spirit world. A few sucker holes opened up in the clouds, and revealed some glimpses of the surrounding peaks, which really made a couple of these pictures sing.

Elevation ranged from 4,855 to 7,100 feet or so.

How I envy you ... The elevation ... The falling snow ...The ethereal scenery ... "The Mountains Are Calling and I Must GO," - <3 it.

Entirely different terrain to where I am ... The desert.

Am a fan of your sharings ... Thank you ever so much!
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your photos are always breathtaking. Thanks for sharing with all. If I ever get in shape, can I hire you to take me there? ( half joking) It would be dream to me, to even see it once in person.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I knew from the title I'd be jealous opening this thread lol. Beautiful scenery, that just looks amazing!!!! Well worth the drive. Enjoy :)
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great photos! Thank you so much for sharing! Sometimes its hard to remember that there's this much beauty within our states <3
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lovely
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    as always from looking at your pictures, I am jealous.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous photos of gorgeous places. Thanks for sharing!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Fabulous pic! Thanks for this.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I always love looking at your pics. I'm south of you by 300 mi or so. Your pics remind me to get out there. I have been on more hikes in the past 90 days than I have in the last 10 years of living here. And I grew up here too...
    Thanks for the reminder that regardless of weather, the beauty is always there. And thanks for capturing it to share!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is going a lot better than my day. :smile:

Thanks everybody for looking, and for the very kind words. I'm glad to be able to share some of the beauty I live here for.

I hope everybody else is getting out and enjoying the change of seasons too.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

A lot of people call the Heather / Maple Pass loop “the best ridge walk in the state.” I can’t say personally because I haven’t done Copper Ridge yet, but Heather and Maple are spectacular. There’s a section as you come off the hogsback where the ridge is 15 feet wide, you can look 500 feet down to Ann Lake on the left and 1,500 feet down to Rainy Lake on the right. It’s exhilarating. With clear skies, you can see countless peaks in every direction, even Glacier to the south. None of those views were on offer. Instead, it was more like a journey through the spirit world. A few sucker holes opened up in the clouds, and revealed some glimpses of the surrounding peaks, which really made a couple of these pictures sing. ...

Beautiful, just beautiful. Makes me wish I were still out there. Or at least visiting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Such a gorgeous hike. You always find the beauty, wherever you find yourself, whatever you’re doing.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I always want to jump right into the photos and start hiking :)
  • mikaila96
    mikaila96 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The best place in the world! Love the north cascades- my grandparents have lived on the edge of the Pasayten Wilderness since I was little. The “mountains” here in eastern WA have called me the last couple weekends, but we’re talking 3300-3600 foot “peaks.” I hope to work up to the big guns someday soon!
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Your posts are always my favorite! I love your pictures, they're always amazing. Also, it reminds me to go out there and look for adventure, even when the weather is not perfect.