Am I sedetary or light active?

I have the chikdren ages one, two and three. I am a stay at home mom and my typical day is as follows:

Up at 8am-2pm
Bathe/change dress kids
Madge breakfast
Clean kitchen (loading/unloading dishwasher, scrum counters, sweep, wipe down appliances)
Clean living room (pick up clothes, vacuum)
Clean bathroom (sweep floor, wipe counters, pick up a few clothes)
Make queen bed, two toddler beds, twin bed, put some toys away)
make lunch

2pm-9pm
Play (lightly) with kids through day
Cook dinner
Straighten kitchen (like in the morning)
Bathe/dress kids

I cannot tell if this is normal daily activity making me sedetary or if I'm lightly active.

I also burn 200ish calories from exercise 5 times a week which I log.

Replies

• You are definitely not sedentary... if anything you are ACTIVE. So I would atleast say Lightly active.
  • I would say lightly active.
  • AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    I agree you are active, but if this is what you do on a normal basis and you still want to lose more I would put light. The reason it asks you the question is to give you a calorie goal that will help your body start to lose. If you want to lose more without changing your lifestyle, eating less calories is the answer. Again, it depends on how fast you want to achieve, that is my opinion. :)

Oh and you seem to be a good mom :)
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Ya, stay at home mom is no easy task here... I'd agree and say light active.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You even have to ask?
    This is certainly not sedentary!

Sedentary would be more like I used to be:
    Get up, eat breakfast, drive to work, sit at a desk, drive home, cook dinner, sit on the couch, go to bed.
    That's sedentary.

Now I usually get up, run 5 - 10km , walk to the bus, walk from the bus to the train, walk to work, walk up and down the stairs, go in and out of the office, carrying boxes, walk to the train, walk home from the bus, cook dinner, sit on the couch, go to bed.

I initially put myself as sedentary but that didn't seem right so I changed to lightly active and have lost weight steadily on this.
    (my runs don't count in the daily activity, they get logged separatately as exercise).
  • i"d start with lightly active, give yourself 4-5 weeks on that activity level and reassess your progress after you've had some time to adjust to eating at that caloric level. There's always room for readjustment if you find its not working!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    lightly active
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Ive got 3 kids and my day is pretty much the same as yours, i put lightly active but, quite often i hardly sit down all day :) as you do running around after kids.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I would say full on active. I am set to light active even though I have a desk job due to my non-work activities including cleaning up after and chasing around 3 children. However, I also don't log that cleaning, playing or walking I do. Wouldn't want to count it twice.