Addicted to carbs?

When I get going, it takes all of the willpower I have to stop. (I admit, this is usually only with white bread, pastries, and super sugary packaged snacks, like cookies and crackers. Things I would stay away from 100% of the time if I knew what was good for me. :) -- Anyway, I wonder if it's my personal body type that gives me this problem? Or is this a case of those chemicals they inject in foods to influence you to consume more and ignore natural hunger signals? Or what?

And if anybody else has this problem, besides keeping those foods out of the house altogether (which I will strive to do from here on out,) how do you 1.) Stop the cravings from happening, and 2.) Stop eating once you've started?

Replies

• cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Wow, thanks for that link! :D I'll read that article right now.
  • jclmrn
    jclmrn Posts: 11 Member
    I am insulant resistant & have that problem - if I start eating the carbs I just crave them like crazy. I follow a low glycemic index diet the best I can. If I can't avoid the high carb food I eat a good protein to go with it which seems to help a little with reducing the follow up cravings.
  • Great link, indeed! I am addicted to carbs and sugar and I find that my relationship with these foods are kind of complicated. I find it hard to stop eating things that are high carb and /or high in sugar. There are a couple of things I am doing right now while I untangle what feels like a lifelong process, without freaking out. I take a couple of supplements which I find really help: Chromium Picolinate (helps with the cravings) and L-Carnitine (helps my metabolism work more efficiently, so I don't "feel" like carbs are my first fuel choice). These supplements, and more than anything the mindful act of taking them, keep me conscious. And I guess that's it in a nutshell: if I stay conscious, I am aware of what's happening and I stay away from the foods that are a danger for me. Once I feel I have more control, I ease back into grains and starches that aren't processed (lots of good suggestions on this site).
    When the control slips, it's back to square one and I get back on that wagon. It won't be all or nothing forever, but I realize that it's a process I need to go through and it's going to take some time. That requires a lot of mindfulness, but lots of forgiveness too.
    Hope that helps a bit!
  • whitelaurel
    Thanks for everyone's replies. :) You've really given me some good insight.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    I'm following this thread because I have the exact same problem, I love my carbs! I'm trying my hardest atm just to concentrate on portion control and sticking to mfp guidelines, but what I have found helps is water...whenever I feel like a carbfest I just glug a couple of pints of water and it seems to help (for a short while)

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing your thread x
  • whitelaurel
    Haha, I don't mind at all. :D I had a serious episode last night with the carbs, and it has just got me to wondering. I even tried your water trick! Chugged a litre of it and still couldn't resist. :cry:

The methods I try to stand by are eating whole grains or sticking to more filling carbs -- like a serving of pasta or rice. :) Haha, usually it works out for me, but when I'm feeling particularly weak and there's a bag of anything processed nearby, I can not help just going to town. :ohwell:
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    I've posted this a number of times, but as long as the question is still out there, I'll keep repeating it.
    As a weight loss surgery patient (lapband), my doctor requires that all of us immediately begin different eating habits from the time of our first appointment because we have to prove we can follow it by losing a prescribed amount of weight prior to surgery and because it's good practice for what life will be like after surgery.

By following this diet, I lost 22 pounds in two months (pre-surgery) and while I had some carb cravings, there were NOTHING like before. This diet is NOT unique to surgery patients. It's a good plan for anyone wanting to lose weight in a healthy way, unless you have some kind of medical problem and then you'd have to talk to a doctor. I do know, from support groups, that we have MANY, MANY people, especially diabetics, who follow this diet....

First of all, during the first two months, he says you can ease into this because it IS difficult to make these changes quickly....

Calories per day: 1500 (try to get as close as possible because it's the optimum number for this to work)
    Carbs: No more than 100 grams per day and no more than 23 grams of carbs for any one serving/meal/snack. (did you realize that a can of Mountain Dew has 66 grams of carbs PLUS sugars?)
    Protein: 80 or more grams per day
    Sugar: No more than 13 grams of sugar per serving/meal/snack

We do not measure fat, sodium, fiber, etc. BUT, we do have blood tests every six months to check blood levels.

OK the schedule is to eat three meals a day of approximately 6 ounces of lean protein with a salad and veggies and then two snacks which the doctor prefers to be apples. LOL. He says to avoid bananas. Fruit in water is OK and other fresh fruits, limited to 2 per day. (I cannot eat 2 apples a day every day)

Limit fruit juice, rice, potatoes, white anything, pasta, breads (whole wheat is OK).

Take a good multivitamin each day and take a form of calcium supplement.

Protein Shakes are great meal replacements or snacks but they should be 100% Whey protein...powder or premixed shake...either is fine.

After the first few weeks, you should not be losing more than 1-2 pounds per week, though if you are following the guidelines and lose more from time to time, that's fine.

Exercise is recommended to be 30 minutes per day. Walking is OK.

Hope this helps someone. I don't hear back when I post this, but I find that the longer I am compliant, the easier it gets. When I have too many carbs, it takes me a while to beat them back under control again.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    I learned a long time ago that I am much better off abstaining from "the white stuff" rather than trying to limit them. It seems that just a little taste of white bread, pasta, or even a "low-calorie dessert" simply wets my appetite for more. No amount of pasta is enough for me. Have you ever bought "portion-sized" healthy desserts just to keep going back for 2nds and 3rds? Is that an addiction? Experts might not agree, but it sure sounds like one to me. By the way, vegetables (except for mashed potatoes) never start a binge.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Just try to avoid them at all cost. Have you tried everything you can to REALLY stay away from them? It's very simple, willpower.