Unsure on what I should do???

Options
Right now I got myself in a tough spot for me to decide on what I should do with my weight loss journey. I've been big most of my life. As of right now, I am 385 lbs. And a month ago I weighed in at 403 lbs. I been up and down most of my life. By the way I am currently 42 yrs old. I had the gastric sleeve back in 2011. That work for me that first year to a year and a half. But eventually, I put my weight back on. So the sleeve did not work for me. Now my deliema I am having today is if I should go back and do the full gastric bypass. I know what I am capable of when I get motivated to lose weight. So I know I can do it with out the surgery. But I always did it alone. So that's why I believe I put the weight back on. Now I have been going through the process of get prepared for another weight loss surgery(dietitian, psych eventually, and other test). I don't have a surgery date yet. I guess right now I am second guessing my decision to go through with the surgery. I know being a bariatric patient ain't no joy ride. There are a lot of restrictions on your diet. And possibly a lot of compilations. Luckily for me I did not experience any during my first surgery. I guess where I am getting at is that I believe with some support, I can keep my weight off. I know the bypass surgery can be a great tool. But sometimes a great support group can be just as good if not better. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank everyone for there time.

Replies

• Mishilovescolours
    Options
    That is good that you can do it without the surgery. And it is great that you did lose weight when you had the sleeve done in the past. I agree having support is very important. And is a very important part of working on and reaching your goals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What sort of eating program are you on for this stage of surgery prep?

I lost weight without surgery by using a food scale to weigh the stuff I ate, and using myfitnesspal to record the stuff I ate. So long as I managed to eat less or at my daily goal, I usually lost weight.

I just eat the kinds of food that I like, in reasonable portions. My likes have changed a little, but that's mostly due to me learning so much from this wonderful community.

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    relli399 wrote: »
    Right now I got myself in a tough spot for me to decide on what I should do with my weight loss journey. I've been big most of my life. As of right now, I am 385 lbs. And a month ago I weighed in at 403 lbs. I been up and down most of my life. By the way I am currently 42 yrs old. I had the gastric sleeve back in 2011. That work for me that first year to a year and a half. But eventually, I put my weight back on. So the sleeve did not work for me. Now my deliema I am having today is if I should go back and do the full gastric bypass. I know what I am capable of when I get motivated to lose weight. So I know I can do it with out the surgery. But I always did it alone. So that's why I believe I put the weight back on. Now I have been going through the process of get prepared for another weight loss surgery(dietitian, psych eventually, and other test). I don't have a surgery date yet. I guess right now I am second guessing my decision to go through with the surgery. I know being a bariatric patient ain't no joy ride. There are a lot of restrictions on your diet. And possibly a lot of compilations. Luckily for me I did not experience any during my first surgery. I guess where I am getting at is that I believe with some support, I can keep my weight off. I know the bypass surgery can be a great tool. But sometimes a great support group can be just as good if not better. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank everyone for there time.
    One thing to bear in mind is that surgery at 31 is not the same as surgery at 42. As your body passes 35 or so, it loses at lot of its "bounce-back" capability; so you may not heal nearly as fast, or as well, as you did last time.

As I understand it, weight-loss surgery is a tool to help people do the things required to lose weight and keep it off (i.e., diet and exercise). Some people who have the surgery find this tool very helpful and effective, and some do not. You may want to consider why think you might now be better at effectively using this tool than you were with the previous surgery. (I'm not saying you wouldn't be. Just that you should have some reasons, and you should know what they are.)

My doctor suggested WLS for me back when I weighed 315 lbs (I'm a 5'9" woman). Looking into it, I was impressed by the amount of support available for people losing weight with the surgery, that my (admittedly crappy) medical insurance won't cover for people not having surgery. That really ticks me off.

I decided against the surgery (for me, personally - other people's decisions are of course their own), and am dredging up the support I need in other places: most notably, here on MFP.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You got this!

Unfortunately, for me even though I was eating generally healthy, I couldn’t stop overeating 2-3 days a week until I got a psychotherapist
    I really didn’t want to spend the money or go through the effort but
    after seeing her only twice (!) my overeating stopped completely, and that has made it really easy to not eat over my daily goal and lose weight

She’s totally changed my life

My solution is probably not everyone’s solution

Definitly take the time you need to figure out what works for you! There’s no rush :)
  • Shan0Marie
    Shan0Marie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Without being your doctor I couldn't tell you what to do, but if you think you can do it with diet, maybe start there. Until you're ready to change your lifestyle the surgery will only be a simple fix. You have to commit to living that life after the surgery as well! If you can prove to yourself that you can live the lifestyle, then begin to decide if you want to stay on the path of healthy eating or use the surgery not to fix the problem, but to help yourself along the way. I hope you find what you're looking for, and I wish you all the best in your success story!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think you are wise to put the surgery on the back burner for now. It is a huge step. I had a gastric band and didn't have any luck losing. Finally it was removed due to complications and I went on to lose weight on my own. I am 62 years old and was 59 when I lost the weight. I wish I hadn't waited. Once I got going it was easier than I expected but I quit using heroic efforts to try to lose it fast. I took my time and I've learned alot along the way. You can do it. The main thing is finding a lifestyle you can live with permanently and embracing it. Take your time and you will slowly see changes in your desire for certain foods and your tolerance for bad eating habits. I get sick now if I try to overeat, lol. I can only eat a fraction of the volume I used to and greasy food makes me queasy. It's gotten so much easier to maintain.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I too think you have made a wise choice on putting the surgery on back burner for now. Because until we can change our mindsets around what we put in our mouths, the surgery is not really going to be a long term answer. I started here in May 2018 at 305. I have lost 60 pounds, starting age 59, have since turned 60. Still have 60 to go and then will stay there for a bit and decide more to go or not.

I know what are my trigger foods and for most part I am keeping out of the house, until I feel I could have in house and not eat an entire bag or whole carton of ice cream at one time. I am staying away from fast food as another trigger where I reasonably do not work it into calorie totals for day. I know these are my weak points so for now, I eat more healthy and allow in the treats here and there.
    But being here I use the food scale, I log all food, I learn new things every day from people who have been on the journey so much longer, and already been down the path I am on. And have great advice. I may not always agree, but I can read and say hey that will work for me, or no think not. But on MFP so much good info to read through. Best of luck on your journey to less of you.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think you could try for 6 months to 1 more year to lose weight since you did a fantastic job this last month! You could try posting here more, adding friends, joining group pages, etc. to help you feel less alone in the journey. You might find that either 1) you are successful and decide you don't need surgery, 2) you are successful and can wait a bit for surgery, or 3) you can get the surgery but you've proven you've got what it takes to make long term and lasting changes to your diet once the surgery is complete. I have heard many people who get a bypass still put the weight back on, since even the surgery is not a guarantee. The permanent eating habits are still first and foremost the number one change you can take to improve your weight.

I'm not in the same situation, but I'm not going to lie. I started losing weight in 2013 with only about 30 lbs to lose. Even now, I struggle with maintaining the changes I've made and need this constant MFPing to keep me on track, though I do tend to go up and down 10ish pounds regularly. My brother also is like this, we both think we will be on MFP forever. Doing without that crutch is likely not sustainable for us. It is still taking me a bit to process that MFP has to stay a part of my life, likely forever. But I've proven to myself over the last 5 years that MFP breaks don't work for me. I don't necessarily log all the time, but I DO need the community as a reminder to keep mindful of what I eat.

Another thing I really struggle with is that for me, to stay on track, I have to cook meals frequently. I hate cooking (planning, shopping, cooking, and cleaning up!), so I actually think this is a big issue of mine, and why I always keep sliding back to pre-prepared freezer foods and eating out (which eventually I get out of hand with). So this for me isn't an EATING habit (since when I do cook, I do like it better than freezer food). It's literally a "I don't like spending my time this way" habit.

I recommend using the next while to try and figure out the things you struggle with, and those might not be purely "what you eat/how much you eat" related.

Examples
    - How much you enjoy cooking
    - How much time do you like doing passive activities (computer, tv, reading, boardgames, etc)
    - How much sleep are you getting and is it enough (it's more important than I thought!)
    - Stressed at work or at home? Both? Is there anything you can do to change that?
    - Will online support be enough for you? Can you look into support groups in your physical community so you have people you can talk to and hang out with with similar goals?

etc
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    relli399 - I was in a similar situation as you a little over 2 months ago - 47 years old 389lbs had to do something. Spoke with 2 docs about gastric surgery - researched it as much as I could looked for success and failure stories and there were lots of both. Success stories all included one thing in common, all made lifestyle changes to compliment their surgery.

I decided to wait on the surgery and really try, I mean really try to lose weight (with the help of my family). Got back on MFP and started seriously tracking calories and exercise - staying at or under 2,000 calories a day with good basic foods. One week into it started moving towards a modified KETO diet and it has worked for me so far.

Because of my size running was out of the question along with other high impact activities and the pay off from walking did not make sense. I started swimming daily, just basic swimming in whatever style I could. Could only do a few laps to start, but now up to 45-60 minutes almost every day along with some gym work.

All of that together dropped 50 lbs in 8 weeks and a long way to go, not typical I know - and the weight lose will slow down with the more I lose. And now its about being healthier and losing weight. I still have a target weight some 100lbs or so away and still tracking on MFP daily and exercising - and have accepted that I will always need to watch calories - and make that the new norm and not stop even after the goal is reached. Lifestyle change.

You have to find the right combo for you, everyone is different with what methods work to eat better, exercise and work on the calorie deficit to lose.

Best of luck, be persistent and work hard.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think the "mental" side is sometimes the biggest battle we face and it can take a longer time to develop than most of us would like. I'm not saying this to discourage you but as you've seen, losing weight is one thing but keeping it off is another-and that is where one's mental strength is really tested.

For some people, losing weight goes hand in hand with their increased confidence but for others, they can lose weight and yet still not feel good about themselves; this is because their "issues" aren't weight related. They might be down to other things that happened in their life (childhood) which fed (literally) into them gaining weight as opposed to someone who just develops bad habits and falls into a pattern of laziness.

I have no doubt OP that you are more than capable of developing that long term shift in confidence and self belief that is required to bring about sustained success. Remember that you are worth it and that feelings are often based upon your perceptions (inner voice) which are often skewered; thoughts are not reality.
  • tanyanelson922
    tanyanelson922 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10-15 pounds since my last doctor visit two weeks ago. I do all my home cooking and I have been exercising 10 to 25 minutes a day. I quit all junk food and today am stopping pop. For exercise I hit a punching bag for 8 minutes. Step on a trampoline and jog for 1 minute and am winded. Then sometimes I dance to the radio for three songs and that is about 15-20 minutes. I take breaks when I get tired. I aim for four songs. I just bought a jump rope online and waiting to get it. I have a gym membership but have yet to use it. I want to start going there too. That is harder to get motivated to get there. Home cooking is much healthier for you and portion control is key. You need about 1800 calories a day to not starve. I need about 1250. a day, I weigh 300 pounds and was just 315. I can share with you my homemade recipe's if you like and cheer you one. The other thing I did was bet 25.00 per month on healthywage.com that I would lose 70 pounds in nine months. I will get 987.00 if I win on that date. I went to the doctor and used the scale and someone made a video of me. Wish me luck. I really hope all goes well with you, I do not like the bypass because you starve yourself basically. I love food and good tasting food and am as good as a chef. I you want receipes I can make for a single person and give you lots of advice. Wishing you well.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    Water and coffee is also the key, no pop or soda or energy drinks.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    Message me and I will give you all kinds of recipes.