Going from 3000 cals to 1500

Options
I decided to make a change for my health 2 weeks ago, I’ve lost 10 pounds so far and I’ve been going at 1500 cals a day. Before I was eating whatever I wanted hence the 3000+ a day. It was crazy.

My question is, if one day a week I up my calorie intake to 2000 is that going to affect me? Do any of you do something similar? Thank you everyone. I am 222 pound female.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It will slow your weight loss a bit because your calorie deficit will be less.

I find it easiest just to stick with the same calorie goal every day. But I like routine and consistency. If giving yourself one slightly higher calorie day a week helps you stay on track then go for it.
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why’d you cut your calories by over half right off the bat? In terms of diet sustainability, I would have decreased from 3000 forsure but not to 1500....

I just put in what I wanted to lose and it gave me 1500, it is hard! Lol. What do u suggest I do then?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Why’d you cut your calories by over half right off the bat? In terms of diet sustainability, I would have decreased from 3000 forsure but not to 1500....

I just put in what I wanted to lose and it gave me 1500, it is hard! Lol. What do u suggest I do then?

There are a few things you can do. The first thing I would suggest is that you lower your rate of loss. If you find that you will not be able to continue at your current calorie goal without binge eating, it may perhaps be too aggressive of a goal for you. Adjust your goal to a slightly less aggressive rate of loss and stick with that calorie goal.

Another option, would be to stay eating the 1500 calories during the week, but then eat maintenance or slightly above 1500 but still under maintenance calories (maintenance would be the amount of calories to eat to stay at your current weight). This will also slow your current rate of loss, but may be more manageable.

For me personally, I do a bit of the second option. I try to stick to my calorie goal, but if I am feeling extra hungry or want to have a fun weekend without feeling too restrictive, I will eat around my maintenance calories on the weekend but still track those calories. I had set a weight loss goal of 1 lb/week and this route I lost on average 3.5-4 lbs/month. My current goal is .75 lb/week (manually adjusted) and I am losing about .5 lb/week as I get the last few pounds off.

The most important thing out of all of this is that you learn better eating habits. This is not a sprint, it is a marathon. If you lose the weight but go back to your old eating habits, you will put that weight right back on.
  • Cartagenita
    Cartagenita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I decided to make a change for my health 2 weeks ago, I’ve lost 10 pounds so far and I’ve been going at 1500 cals a day. Before I was eating whatever I wanted hence the 3000+ a day. It was crazy.

My question is, if one day a week I up my calorie intake to 2000 is that going to affect me? Do any of you do something similar? Thank you everyone. I am 222 pound female.

No, one ‘bad’ day won’t do anything to you. Just like one healthy meal won’t make u skinny, one bad meal won’t make u gain weight. I eat very low calorie during the week & during the weekend I eat over 2000 and I don’t gain .
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I weigh 223 and eat 2400 and lose about a pound a week. sometimes less if I don't exercise. Look up your TDEE and go off of that. I lose about 2lbs a week at 2000 cals.