People cannot visualize reasonable portion sizes

Options

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, most overweight to obese people continue to live in denial as to what is the Real Portion size. They say they want to lose weight, but when they see the portion size, and hear the words food scale it can be sadly amusing the looks I see. I had one of my friends persistently ask me tell me what two things this time have been your biggest helps in steadily taking off pounds. And they did not want to hear MFP and logging everything. So I took a picture of my food scale, and the smaller cute plates I bought that I use now. And sent them. And said I weigh everything first, and all food goes on these plates. No more standard dinner plates for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    In general, I think recommended portion sizes are silly. Give me the per 100g and per package numbers and let me go from there.

An appropriate or healthy portion size depends on a lot of things, the food item in question being relatively low on the list. People who need to have portion sizes recommended to them don't care enough to listen (generally speaking, obviously), and people who care enough don't need recommendations.

IMO.

agreed
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I had a revelatory conversation with an obese co-worker. Both he and his wife were obese and waddled on land like walruses. He, particularly, had ruined his ankles with the abuse of walking on them. He told me that he focused his restaurant food choices on getting the most calories possible for the fewest dollars necessary. It turns out, that is the mental calculation made by lab monkeys, too. Primates want the greatest reward possible for the least effort necessary. As global food production has incessantly grown to exceed the rate of population growth, more and more people around the planet are finding it possible to get more cheap food than they need for survival. The unconscious choice many people make to maximise their food reward for their effort or money expended is the ultimate root cause of the global increase in rates of obesity.

"The struggle is real" isn't just a meme. It's not just the body. It's the brain. The executive brain has to overcome the reflexive brain. Portioning properly has to be learned and is a lesson which runs counter to our natural tendencies. It is hard.

Spot on my man! I think it was Winton Churchill that said, " why run when you can walk? Why walk when you can stand? Why stand when you can lounge? Why lounge when you can sleep?" I think we are the same way. I get the exact opposite at work. I often take in 2 lunch bags with my food. People are like, are you going to eat all that? Well... my quinoa, veggie, avacado, lean protein plates take up a lot of space. When you eat a Hungry man dinner that's 900 cals for 225 grams, it's a small package. I start to talk about caloric density.... blank stare. At office parties same thing. If I eat small amounts of stuff, I get made fun of because they all tell me I am afraid of "good" food. Oh well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    In general, I think recommended portion sizes are silly. Give me the per 100g and per package numbers and let me go from there.

An appropriate or healthy portion size depends on a lot of things, the food item in question being relatively low on the list. People who need to have portion sizes recommended to them don't care enough to listen (generally speaking, obviously), and people who care enough don't need recommendations.

IMO.
    That too! I hate the idea of "serving sizes", as if people 1) need to be told how much to eat 2) should be told how much they can eat 3) care. And I'm grateful I live in a country where labels show values of 100g of a food. But I think the discussion at hand is more about "portion sizes" - how much a person chooses to serve himself/herself in one sitting. And people often choose more than they need, more often than is healthy.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I took my family home to Minnesota to visit. We live in Italy and my husband is thin. We were taken to an "All you can eat" restaurant. My husband was horrified. He looked around at the dinners, spread his hands out straight from his sides and said "All you can eat!"
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Some years ago I had a revelatory conversation with an obese co-worker. Both he and his wife were obese and waddled on land like walruses. He, particularly, had ruined his ankles with the abuse of walking on them. He told me that he focused his restaurant food choices on getting the most calories possible for the fewest dollars necessary. It turns out, that is the mental calculation made by lab monkeys, too. Primates want the greatest reward possible for the least effort necessary. As global food production has incessantly grown to exceed the rate of population growth, more and more people around the planet are finding it possible to get more cheap food than they need for survival. The unconscious choice many people make to maximise their food reward for their effort or money expended is the ultimate root cause of the global increase in rates of obesity.

"The struggle is real" isn't just a meme. It's not just the body. It's the brain. The executive brain has to overcome the reflexive brain. Portioning properly has to be learned and is a lesson which runs counter to our natural tendencies. It is hard.

Spot on my man! I think it was Winton Churchill that said, " why run when you can walk? Why walk when you can stand? Why stand when you can lounge? Why lounge when you can sleep?" I think we are the same way. I get the exact opposite at work. I often take in 2 lunch bags with my food. People are like, are you going to eat all that? Well... my quinoa, veggie, avacado, lean protein plates take up a lot of space. When you eat a Hungry man dinner that's 900 cals for 225 grams, it's a small package. I start to talk about caloric density.... blank stare. At office parties same thing. If I eat small amounts of stuff, I get made fun of because they all tell me I am afraid of "good" food. Oh well.

To Winston Churchill, I respond with Warren Zevon: "I'll sleep when I'm dead." I run so that I can be stronger and faster and do more and live longer and do even MORE. There are too many interesting things in the world and I want to miss out on as few of them as possible.

(I do sleep, mind you! ;D)
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of those people actually care, though. How many people want to lose weight, but not badly enough to actually control their intake? I fall into that category quite often. I wonder how many of those people, if you simply asked them what they thought a reasonable, healthy, serving size was... I wonder how close those people would be.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this - are their portions that big because they don't know or because they don't care?

Both. I have a sister who is huge. She is much younger than me. I doubt she knows what a proper serving size is and she just doesn't care. Her husband and kids are obese too. Don't they want to be healthy? I just don't get it.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I can't help but be judgy sometimes at the lunch table at work. I get comments all the time on how, "you're always so good" and everybody has an excuse for why they can't do the same. We have a lovely cafeteria that serves huge portions of comfort food for cheap, and many of my coworkers buy it daily. There are always comments about how the portions are too big and how they always give too much, yet most everyone always clears their plates. The diet woo is fierce here as well. Someone is always trying some new trend or gimmick and telling everyone else to try it too! If I had a dollar for every time someone crashed and burned on a super restrictive diet I'd have many dollars. :D