Please recommend me a simple gym app!

Options
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I’m after something that seems really difficult to find 🤷🏻‍♀️😑 and I’m hoping you can help me.

I’m after a simple workout checklist app for the gym.
The one I was using “workout list” seems to have been abandoned and keeps crashing on me 😞

What I don’t need or want in the app:
I don’t want a calendar, timer, app to make workouts for me, videos, photos, I don’t want to have to “schedule” the workouts, or be given reminders, I don’t want to ‘log’ my weights, etc 😫

Just a simple app where I can categorise (name) workouts (e.g ‘upper’, ‘lower’), and then write the plan within that category (e.g equipment, reps) and check it off when it’s done.

That’s all 😭😂 I’ve spent so long this morning trawling through the App Store and I didn’t think it would be this hard to find another one!! They all seem WAAYY too over complicated for what I’m after! I’ve also tried Google but can’t find any other forum posts, and any “recommendation” articles only seem to spruik the over complicated ones 🙁

Replies

• jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    After scouring google for the best workout apps I went with the most simple and customizable-- google sheets!!
    You can make your spreadsheet as simple or complex as you like and, if you are into it, you have the raw data to do your own analysis.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A spiral bound notebook and a pen is the best solution I’ve found. None of the apps I ever tried worked as well as that for me.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A spiral bound notebook and a pen is the best solution I’ve found. None of the apps I ever tried worked as well as that for me.

This is what I use, along with a lined sheet that I make up that has a box for the date on the top, exercise on the left, then along that line, weight lifted and reps. I can usually get up to 20-25 workouts on a line, and only have to add the movement once.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is what I use as well. I find the apps cumbersome and tedious.
  • LiftingUnicorn
    LiftingUnicorn Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Strong app is awesome. Once you've logged a workout once, you can perform again
  • sarabara1006
    sarabara1006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Sets & Reps. You can create programs/workouts and name them. The just do them whenever you want (no schedule) and use it like a checklist. Can modify them anytime you want.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like google sheets but it's too cumbersome to use for a smartphone.

You can probably just use a regular checklist/to-do app, rather than one that's specifically for gym use. For instance, I have an app called Clear Todos on my iphone (not sure if it's available for android but I'm sure there are similar apps). I use it for shopping lists which I categorize by store. You can set up different categories like you want - upper, lower, back, arm, whatever. Then within each category, you can have your list of workouts. After you've done that workout, swipe right and it'll cross it off for you. After you're done with the workouts for the day, swipe left to reset each individual workout so it'll be ready next time.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I use Google Sheets to track my workout (MadCow5x5) currently.
    I set the spreadsheet up on a Linux PC and just use my phone to update the sheet, calc plates, and set timers.

If you want something even more simple then try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stronglifts.app
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use the jefit app for all of my sets / exercises.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use bodyspace.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like the Strong app but you have to enter weight and reps. I like to log weight and reps so I can try to improve each workout.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I use JEFIT.

It does have other "features" but core to it is logging your workouts.
  • thitemple
    thitemple Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    I use the jefit app for all of my sets / exercises.

I second that